Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

Erratic ILS intercept

hi allive noticed that upon ils intercept the plane shakes and turns very violently to intecept the ILS, also the ILS red bug comes on quite late on the approach which makes the plane shudder violently and turn left / right to intercept the ils and then stablises for a nice approach and landing, any others experience this?

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest dt1951

I have not experienced this problem. What is your intercept angle?

well it most instances less than 30 degrees.

Yes, I havebeen having the same ILS experience every since the patch. However,I have not put anything in this forum about it. I check this forum daily and there seems to be a lot of tension here when questions are raised about the product not working as it should. I remember the previous version of the b777 and b747 and they were superb in both application and quality. The current version leaves something to be desired. I can only hope that PSS sees this post as constructive in nature rather than otherwise. My request is as follows: Please work to make this version as great as the previous one and I will be a happy camper.ThanksGeorge

Guest Segwin

>hi all>>ive noticed that upon ils intercept the plane shakes and turns>very violently to intecept the ILS, also the ILS red bug comes>on quite late on the approach which makes the plane shudder>violently and turn left / right to intercept the ils and then>stablises for a nice approach and landing, >>any others experience this?Hello Clayton:When she locks into the glide scope it always been fine for me.Enter the GS at a minimum angle as stated and no more than 180 knots.

hi Terryyes i am quite slow on my approaches 170kts for intercept, also its the actual intercept which is the problem, once the 'violent' acts are over (moving fast left to right / right to left) she stablises for a nice clean run down to touchdown.

Guest GVViking

I have experienced, if I attack the ILS with an angle greater 30 % it has a tendensy to overstear. But it is not AC fault. If that happends to you, then quickly make bank angle max 20 or 15, then it will find the ILS nice and easy again.GVViking

Just landed WSSS. Between 5 and 10 degrees intercept, speed 175, altitude 2000 - nothing, both radios set to 108.3 (02R) - went manual in the end and landed, a little long but landed just the same.--qnhSylviaCharlesOmegaTaniaTerry

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

well im currently flying into JFK from Gatwick, should be there at 1015Z, will report my ILS intercept experience.

Guest mulletman

Im having the same problem. I think it is not an erratic intercept, but a late ILS radio tuning.I have made several ILS approaches, and on each one the ILS has not tuned (automatically) until the last few moments. Thus causeing a very irratic G/S capture/Loc.The only cure at the moment is to go the the RAD NAV page of the FMC, click the ILS Freq LSK, and input it manually into LSK1L. Im guessing this is not the correct procedures, as i didnt have to do this on the tutorial flight, and all went well.I have the CD version.

hi Fredi think your spot on with the late ils tuning,i just landed into kennedy today on 31R and did a 40 degree intercept at 180 kts, however the loc bug came on quite early and then i somewhat had a - tolerable - ILS intercept, so i think its definately the late 'awakening' of the ILS tuning.rgds

One idea---two parts:a) Before descent, make sure everything is set up in the FMC, especially your NAV radios (the ILS freq in particular).:( if you are in HDG SEL as you turn toward the ILS (30 degree angle is best), once you are set up on that 30 degree inbound track, hit the LOC button.c) if possible, if you can set it up so that you have an additional five miles outside the FAF before you turn to the LOC, this will give you a little time to "smooth" things out before you start down the G/S.If you do these things, the ILS should capture right on and not cause you to overshoot. One thing I've noticed; if you come in at an angle greater than 30 degrees, it will most definitely overshoot the mark and then it will do S turns to get you back on the LOC track. Also, the closer you are to the airport, the greater the deflection on the ILS needles and it is a royal pain to get it back stable without having to kickout the autopilot, which then creates all sorts of different issues....since once its out on final, it should stay out.Good luck!Dave Lamb

Guest mulletman

MartinW, on the JF forums said that the ILS frequency should be hard tuned. i thought that the ILS would tune automatically.So, whilst i am setting up for approach, is it correct procedures to put the ILS freq as the NAV 1 frequency on the NAV RAD page, or should it all do it automatically.If it is the latter, then this is late tuning and should be reported as a known issue, with the (hard-turning) temporary fix.

Another flight and another missed ILS, angle would have been less than 10 degrees. Destination was OMDB. Looks like this bird goes back in the hanger until another patch is released.--qnhSylviaCharlesOscarTrevorThomas

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.