Sign in to follow this  

FMC on PSS Dash 8?

Does anyone know if the FMC in the PSS Dash 8 is in anyway based on the true unit? It's obviously much simpler than the Smith/Boeing units but I'm not sure if it is realistic or not. Thanks!David

I would be highly surprised if it were not based on the real unit.

In the PSS Forum you might find the set of posts with commentary from a real Dash Captain interesting. I do believe that he discusses the FMC in the PSS model in one of the posts.Cheers,Marc

Its is as accurate as can be excluding the MSFS2002 limitation issue. I am sorry but I must take exception to that statement. As one who posted several items about the PSS Dash from a professional Dash pilot, it is apperant that it is nominally 60-65% complete. As I would not expect 100% for an addon surely, the VNAV and HEADING to INTERCEPT functions can and should be implemented. This has been done since FS98 and the PIC product as a minimum and continues to this day with all commercial addons including PSS (Airbus) products with FMC that utilize this function in r/l. I was very disapointed in the limited functions and expected this to be about 90% complete since it is of a simplier FMC type.If the original poster wants a button for button analysis, please let met know as I own an original real world manual for this unit.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

The Dash 8 isn't a massive airliner, what the heck do you need a jet airliner FMC for anyways? You shouldn't compare the Dash 8 to a 767 for crying out loud. This is where simulation meets reality, when posts like this are made.Paul MeyerMorris C09

People expect a Twin Otter or Beaver to have an airliner style FMS and complain when it isn't there...

Suit yourself Mike :)......I to own the UNS1b manual and yes there are several functions that have not been implemented, but for the ones that are, the model as I said before "is as accurate as can be, and or will be....for now". Granted you have made several post on the Dash which I am sure has helped many of the inquisitve and eager to learn Dash simmers. On the other hand let's keep it in perspective, unfortunately not everything will be modeled, but for the funtions that are enjoy them. Like every other great Addon alot of man hours have gone into getting this bird where it is, and I am sure if it is possible in the furture, amendments will be made to the model. Here at our outfit.....all of our Dash 8s have the FMS or RNAV, but a vast majority of Dash 8 operators do not even own the FMS. It is only recently that Jazz/Air Ontario have started using the FMS. Believe it or not...many operators are still using VOR to VOR navigation. Mind you the two functions that you mentioned are an asset in the real aircraft and just makes life easir for the pilot who wants to read the paper during climb:) ...but not needed.This was not written to create a pissing contest :-beerchugKroswynd

"The Dash 8 isn't a massive airliner, what the heck do you need a jet airliner FMC for anyways? "My post does not state that the Dash is massive, but you are correct. However, since you are unware of why airlliners utilize FMS components, it is for creating and maintining the most economic flight profile for that aircraft on that route. I have many links to sites that describe this plus mutiple suggested reading materials."You shouldn't compare the Dash 8 to a 767 for crying out loud." Clearly you need to re-read my post. I responded to the fact that VNAV functions have been available in many products since and including the PIC product. Actually this was implemented oddly enough by PSS themselves in the 747, therefore they are aware of how to do it."This is where simulation meets reality, when posts like this are made."Huh... ok I guess"People expect a Twin Otter or Beaver to have an airliner style FMS and complain when it isn't there..."Possibly, I must say however that I have never read or heard of these expectations. I would be very disgruntled to find that folks indeed did not understand that the aircraft you mention do not include FMS units. They actually should know better, but there are novices in this community and we should continue to help educate them."... as I said before "is as accurate as can be, and or will be....for now". actually you said "Its is as accurate as can be excluding the MSFS2002 limitation issue", again I state that this is not an MSFS limitation otherwise it would not be available via other products."...but for the funtions that are enjoy them."Thank you, I do."Like every other great Addon alot of man hours have gone into getting this bird where it is"no doubt, overall it is very well done"... and I am sure if it is possible in the furture amendments will be made to the model."Actually they have stated that there will be no patches for this package, but you may be allueding to a possible future payware enhancement? I have not heard this but will keep my ears open."Here at our outfit.....all of our Dash 8s have the FMS or RNAV, but a vast majority of Dash 8 operators do not even own the FMS. It is only recently that Jazz/Air Ontario have started using the FMS. Believe it or not...many operators are still using VOR to VOR navigation. Mind you the two functions that you mentioned are an asset in the real aircraft and just makes life easir for the pilot who wants to read the paper during climb:) ...but not needed."Again, understood that additional functions are not needed, in fact as you state the entire FMS unit is not needed. However, again I state that I was suprised that some of the basic (i.e. VNAV) functions were wholly overlooked, as this is well within PSS's capabilities. I would gladly omit the windsheild wiper for added funtions on the FMS. Please, again, just stating my surprise at this."This was not written to create a pissing contest"Understood, I really appreciate your comments and considered it valuable reading, thank you.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Is the rain bogging down your brain up there in Portland?Paul MeyerMorris C09

Thoughtful and helpful replies by many of you. One of the things I like about the Dash 8 and similar commuters is you can use them in a realistic fashion to make short hops in FS. I've only used the FMC once or twice in the PSS Dash 8, but part of that reason is it just felt a little too simplistic to be realistic. Now I know that most of the functions that are implemented are at least realistic. I like that I can use the real Smiths/Boeing manual to operate PIC 767 and wouldn't hesitate to get a manual for the Dash 8 FMC if I thought it would help but I think it would only draw attention to the things that weren't implemented. While I probably won't use the FMC very much, I'm still happy that PSS included. There are so many planes out there that simply aren't flown in the real world without an FMC and yet their FS models don't include them (especially business jets - hint hint!)David