Sign in to follow this  
Guest DaveI

Transponder

Guest DaveI

Hi all Please can anyone explain the different Transponder modes for me? E.G. What does TA/RA mean ?Thanks

Guest stephenspeak

davel ta means traffic advisory,this means it will show blips on the screen if any traffic is in what ever range you set the range scale to, ta/ra means traffic advisory/resolution advisory,this is pretty much the same except the resolution bit shouts warnings at you if any aircraft come within i think its 5 miles latteral and 2000ft above or below on the vertical,this only works for online flying though hope this helps steve :-jumpy

It works with standard FS AI as well. Not only Online as I don't fly online and I get those CLIMB CLIMB messages quite often in a busy airspace :)

Howard H.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"

-Mahatma Gandhi

Guest boxjockey99

TCAS is based upon time to impact rather than distances and levels. If the system interprets an aircraft coming into a possible impact scenario in the next 30-45 secs you get TRAFFIC TRAFFIC (A Traffic Advisory or TA). The RA or Resolution Advisory activates if the aircraft gets within 10-15 secs of impact. TCAS scans varying ranges depending on the system installed and normally takes in a vertical range of +/- 2500ft unless above or Below is selected in which case the Above or Below area is extended to 10,000ft while the opposite remains at 2500ft. The other modes on the transponder are:SBY - StandbyON - Mode A only ie it shows only the selected code on a controlers screen with no other data. This is also known as mode A, TCAS is OFF in this modeALT - often known as mode C it gives the controller altitude data along with your sqawk code. TCAS is OFF in this modeTA - Traffic Advisory only. This is a mode S mode so will give all manner of data to the controller but will only allow a TA to be issued and no RA's. This is most often used in single engine situations where your performance would be unable to meet a demanded RA climb.TA/RA - This is the normal TCAS mode which will issue all warnings and also activates the Mode S function on the transponder as well so the controller gets all manner of data from the transponder. Hope that helpsKris

Guest DaveI

Cor ! Now I know !Thanks Kris

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.