Sign in to follow this  
Byrna

Resuming from saved flight - everything is lost-anyone else?

I have the 772LR patch installed but I still have nothing saved whatsoever in the CDU and MCP after resuming from saved flight in mid-flight which I ONLY do when FS2004 freezes due to the CDU paramets freezing issue. I DO, however, seem to have all the switch positions saved in the overhead panel, even the lights switches (and of course, the geographical position of the airplane).Norman (of PSS), whom I kind of like calling "Sir" :) , has this thread regarding how to get a COLD & DARK cockpit == >http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...pe=search#11846This is interesting as Norman states that one should first LOAD the default flight (with fly now button) and THEN switch to the saved PSS 777 cold & dark which you created. I don't load the default flight but my FS is set to load it at the create a flight screen so the default is my default ... :-badteeth My first question is : Is anyone else having nothing saved when resuming from a saved flight?Second question: Has anyone tried FIRST switching to the default Cessna, and THEN loading the your own personally saved cold and dark cockpit and had SUCCESS in resuming from a saved flight. This is just an educated guess on my part, really. Curious if first loading default Cessna flight makes any difference in resuming from a save.Any input by PSS and other swould be appreciated.John

Guest NormanB

John,Its been a few weeks since I resumed a saved flight. I tend to do mine in one sitting - even the 23 hour ones ;)The last one I did do though was done in the form of start fs with the default cessna flight, load the saved flight, continue flight.

Norman,When I save aflight that has been created with the usual steps, the little toolbar across the top of the cockpit disappears I has same issue prior to patch, still present.Please comment. Is this a bug, or as intended? Does it happen to you?Since I use the toolbar alot that is not good for me.Thanks.Greg

Greg Clark

Guest NormanB

Greg,I dont use it myself but will do a flight tomorrow with it, save and restart.

Just go the "views" "Instrument Panel" "Panel Switcher". That will bring it back - not sure its a bug, merely a characteristic as everything else seems to work when you save a flight! I have several test-type flights saved which I use regularly.John R

Norman or John R of PSS,I have read that others have problems resuming from save where all CDU waypoints are lost etc...I need to understand if re-installing the 772LR is worth it or is the way I did my setup. Can you detail how you setup your SAVED flight for the 772LR? Which switches are left in NORM/AUTO? Also, which STARUP option do you use? DON'T CHANGE, COLD AND DARK, ENGINES OFF? I use DON'T CHANGE.The reason I'm asking is a curious thing that happened - the VERY FIRST TIME I SAVED AND RESUMED A FLIGHT AFTER THE 1.1 PATCH, ALL WAS SAVED! But I believe, after this, I setup my SAVED 772LR flight and then all saves were losing all settings for the CDU and MCP after this point (though the overhead panel switch settings were NOT lost).My saved 772LR scenario has all switches off EXCEPT:ENGINE EEC MODE - NORMPASS EXYGEN - HAS LINE ON BUTTONEQUIP COOLING: AUTOSome buttons which I believe may be significant which I turn off are:AUTOSTART, ADIRU.Thanks in advance,John

Guest NormanB

John,I simply save the flight from the FS menu - nothing fancy, just save.Take a look at the saved flight - its my docs/Flight Simulator Files - mine are typically 27KB. A standard FS one is less than 10KN.

Hi Norman,I have just tried a test:-Loaded the default CESSNA flight from FS OTHER - DEFAULT FLIGHT - with engines running.-Switched to the 772LR-Shutdown all switches and battery on 772LR.-Loaded FS flightplan EHAM-TNCM and had the 772LR on RWY 24 at EHAM.-Loaded flightplan from FSPLANS LSK of CDU and programmed CDU.SITUATION 1: I saved and exited the flight when still on the runway after engines were started and CDU programmed, ready for take-off - the flight was saved as is and so were the CDU waypoints and DATA-a perfect save.SITUATION 2: I then continued the flight after situation 1 (loading it from a save), took-off, after crossing the first TWO waypoints in the LEGS, saved and exited again - upon returning to saved flight(same filename, over-wrote the situation 1 flight filename) - nothing was saved at all. **NOTE: file size for the .FLT file is 16KB and the .WX filesize is 217KB in mydocsflight simulator files.How do you explain this?John

Guest NormanB

Hi John,>How do you explain this?Despite is being after 3am here, I just ran some tests also.Started FS. From create a flight menu I selected the default Seattle Cessna flight.Moved plane to SydneySaved flight (1)Changed to 772LR KLMSaved flight (2)DepartedSaved flight (3)Climbed (at 4x so I can get some sleep soon)Saved flight around FL200 (4)Got to cruiseSaved flight (5)Loaded 4 - no probsSaved flight (6)loaded 5 - no probsSaved flight (7)Restarted FSloaded 4 (or 6 - I cant recall now but the description has it all) - manually deleted some waypoints.Saved flight (8)Restarted FS.Chose flight 8 from create a flight.In short, everything I tried worked as advertised. All of my saved flights on this occassion were 60KB. The file size varies dependant on the amount of data required to be saved.I have attached the .flt files in a zip.

Guest NormanB

Greg,>Please comment. Is this a bug, or as intended? Does it happen>to you?The toolbar was saved in each and every save in the zip I uploaded in another post in this thread.

Norman,Exactly how did your succeeding in saving those flights help resolve the issue me and many others are still having?Would someone at PSS support give me some concrete and technically sound answers as to what might be happening here?John

Never mind,I found out how the METHOD of saving which works. Saving BY OVER-WRITING and existing file does not work. Each save has to be a NEW FILENAME - e.g. TNCM-PHNL1, TNCM-PHNL2 etc... and then all CDU settings are saved.I had always saved my flights by over-writing the existing filename as creating 50 files is not exactly something I need to do with each flight I fly. It did not even occur to me to save any other way. If PSS support had ASKED this question as to HOW I was saving, gave it some thought that there is MORE THAN ONE WAY to save a flight and that one may work and other not, I would not have wasted so much of my time trying to INFER or READ IN-BETWEEN the lines of the vague posts made by Norman. It is PSS's job, not mine, to think about possible technical issues. I work in tech support and one thing we DON'T EVER do is ASSUME the user understands what we mean or that the user is doing something the way WE think he is doing it.John

As noted above, save has always worked for me - except for the panel switcher. I have tried changing the panel.cfg - visible=0 to =1 - this made no difference except that I lost it on first loading the 777. Also tried one of your saved flights - everything loaded ok but the panel switcher which was not visible. This happens on both my systems. And I can see no difference in the panel 12 settings between your saved flight and mine?Very odd! But not worth worrying about.RegardsJohn

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.