Sign in to follow this  
Byrna

Resuming from saved flight - everything is lost-anyone else?

Guest NormanB

John,>INFER or READ IN-BETWEEN the lines of the vague posts made by>Norman. You asked if I was doing anything special, I replied no that I was simply saving! Hardly any inferrence. >It is PSS's job, not mine, to think about possible>technical issues. And in order to do the job we ask for as much information as possible. To *me* overwriting a file isn't ideal since I may wish to revert to an earlier version of the flight. Just reading the docs for Pete Dowson's freely available Autosave module it would seem I am not alone.By default AutoSave saves a flight every 60 seconds, and keeps thelast 10 files. These files are placed in the Pilots folder for FS98and FS2000, in the FlightMyflts folder for FS2002, and in thestandard user data folder selected by FS for FS2004. They are namedas follows: AutoSave day hhmmss where 'day' is day of the wek. The time is the computer's local systemtime, NOT the one on the FS clock. This format allows you to easilyselect a suitable file to restart from. With 10 files at one minuteintervals you have the last 10 minutes covered.>I work in tech support and one thing we>DON'T EVER do is ASSUME the user understands what we mean or>that the user is doing something the way WE think he is doing>it.Maybe so and that is one of the reasons I uploaded a zip with a number of saved files, along with what and when I did, in order that you could see how I was achieving my saved files.I trust that you are now able to save and restore flights?

Yes, I have a perfect restore of all CDU info and everything else now.Although - going back to my previous point above: It would have been much more direct on your part to actually SAY you are saving different files with different names and NOT over-writing. I have no such problems over-writing files from other planes like the PMDG 744 and uploading a zip file containing multiple files in it does not mean you did not overwrite these files once or twice but could be interpreted to mean you saved different files so you can practice or resume your flight from selected points....so a reader may not necessarily figure out that you are NOT over-writing just because you updloaded multiple save files.In any case, this is a relief for me to be able to resume with all CDU info up-to-date for it is a great time saver on long hauls when I (like any simmer I suppose) get tired near the end of my route.As for the CDU freeze, have not had it in my past two flights (TNCM-PHNL and a re-do of the EHAM-TNCM).John

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.