Sign in to follow this  
Guest Longhaul_Twin

777 Professional not autolanding after patch

Guest Longhaul_Twin

Hello fellow simmers and PSS. After many attempts at an autoland, the plane still will not smoothly fly the final approach. It keeps weaving left and right getting progressively worse the closer I get to the runway. This happens with both the 200LR and 300ER. Furthermore, there is no flare, it just slams into the runway. Now theres one thing I noticed though. The severity of weaving left and right changes when I disconnect the autothrottle. For some reason, the aircraft doesn't move AS much w/o the autothrottle connected but still is unstable and still does not flare or anything. Could it be something with the CG and ref speeds? ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Jeffrey

Guest Longhaul_Twin

Sooo...uh can anyone help me out here?Regards,Jeffrey

Guest Ron Service

What are your approach speeds, gross weight, flaps?I usually set the A/T speed on the MCP to around 145 to 150 knots. Flaps 25 to 30.Try this and see if its any better.Ron

Guest NormanB

I usually set vRef+5

Guest Longhaul_Twin

Thanks for your replies. I will try both suggestions and will get back to you with results.Regards,Jeffrey

Guest Longhaul_Twin

Thanks again guys for your suggestions. Tried them and they worked; well sort of. Entered the vRef speeds into the MCP according to my gross weight. Everything went smooth until touchdown. The plane actually got itself onto the ground and flared and that's an improvement from before. This time though, it landed and then the right wing dipped dramatically before righting itself again. Anymore suggestions?Regards,Jeffrey

Guest Ron Service

How was your fuel balance,and quantity and did you have crosswinds? I'm assuming you mean it flared before touch down.Are you using auto braking and reverse thrust.Are you using ATC directed active runway or your own choice. Possibly, excessive crosswind on selected runway.Just throwing in some possible things to look out for. Hope this helps.Ron

Guest Longhaul_Twin

Hi Ron. What do you mean by fuel balance? Do you mean the selected tanks? As for the quantity, I was at about 20% fuel remaining. No I didn't have any crosswinds and using the ATC directed runway. Also, I wasn't using any autobraking this time but I think reverse thrust did kick in. But yes it did flare right before touch down and then wham, right off the centerline meaning no rollout at all. I am however using the new KLAX scenery by Cloud 9. Will try it again later on to see what happens. Also I did a search and came across something regarding disabling the "Z" function on the keyboard. I'll try that aswell. Thanks for your help in this matter.Regards,Jeffrey

Guest Ron Service

I just wondered if somehow you had a big difference between the left and right tanks. Does'nt normally happen, as both tanks should be depleted to be almost the same quantity.The quantity (20%) at landing is OK. Some more questions- Were spoilers armed. Reverse thrust is not a function of autoland and has to be turned on with the F2 key, then turned off with the F1 key. I've been told that reverse thrust is not permitted at some airports due to noise abatement regulations. As far as the scenery goes, I would probably try my tests at a default scenery,maybe Seattle Tacoma. When you use autoland, are your throttle levers ( joystick at zero). I'm wondering if you are getting some incorrect input from the rudder.How does your aircraft steer on the ground with no crosswind?Ron

Guest Longhaul_Twin

The spoilers were indeed armed. As far as my throttle levers on my joystick, I can't remember whether they were at zero or not. I haven't flown today but will definetely do some more flying tomorrow. On the ground it steers great. I appreciate your help as always.Regards,Jeffrey

Guest FC5452

Hello Guys, I got the CD version, and have applied the patch as suggested, Not griping here, I am really enjoying this Bird, Heavier than what I normally fly, The reason i am asking this I flew MCO to ATL on the Canuk3 the Aircraft was full A/P with 5% in the tanks on Final. What happened was I made the turn from EMJAY to SOFOR, it tracked nicely,then to Leaps for the intercept on 27L, the FMC skipped the waypoint entrely, and seemed to have a hard time getting to CF27L, which is the next waypoint.I went into the CDU selected CF27L and hit enter, and it tracked it nicely agian, I was established then on 27L about 10* below the GS, she held it nice, all the wau to flare then veered to the left.This is the part that got me, so I am curious if there is still a quirk or two left in the programming?Thanxs for working out all these quirks in the interim,Tony_P

Hi Tony The problem on the approach where the FMC skips waypoints and goes straight to the CF point - or even worse direct to the runway - has been reported regularly. If you do a search there are several threads, and I know that PSS are aware of the problem. A workaround I use is to plan a smooth approach with no turns greater than 90 degrees and at least 15 nm between waypoints in the pattern. Your landing problems has also been reported before:1. What was your x-wind component on touchdown? The patch significantly improved crosswind performance but this could be a clue.2. How were your fps during the approach - several have reported similar landing problems and they were all getting very low fps out of their systems.Also try a few approaches in the pattern - the landing may have been just a one off.Good LuckJohn Rooum

Guest FC5452

John,Thanx for the reply, I had a 7 kt cross 4kt head out of 280/11 actually I did not pay attention to the FPS, I Usually get around 10FPS in ATL with the sliders maxed, utilizing ATL adon scenery.I am not about to give up on the PSS I find it to be a very intreging aircraft to fly, I will just dig around a bit more in the forums..The 90* turn is probally what did the waypoint skip as well, i had the similiar problem entering MCO on the Bitho7 to 17RThanx agian,Tony_P

Guest Longhaul_Twin

Okay, after a couple of successfull autolands in the 200LR, I am back to share my experiences. With no wind I set up my approach to KLAX 7L/7R. Entered all the gross weights into the FMC and followed all the ref speeds + 5knots. Perfect approach. When the altitude annunciator announced 400 ft, I decreased the speed by 10kts. on the MCP in which I found to maximize the "flare" effect. Lastly, I disconnected the autopilot using the autopilot disconnect button just before touchdown to avoid veering off the runway. Touchdown, spoilers deployed, reverse thrust, perfect autoland, well sort of. Now I tried all of this in the 300ER and found the same disastrous results as before so I don't know if the problems are specific to the 300ER or if I just need more practice. Today I'll add some more variables such as wind and see what happens.Regards,Jeffrey

Guest NormanB

Jeffrey,If you installed the 300ER patch on the day it was released I would reinstall it since an old file slipped into the installer.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.