Sign in to follow this  
sab12

Recommended TOGA procedure for 777's?

I don't find anything in the Tutorial Flight about how to execute a TOGA procedure when you realize that a landing has become unsalvageable.Phoenix or others - what is the recommended sequence of MCP and other control operations?Thanks.

From the British Airways 77 Flying Mamual page NP-60-09Go AroundPressing either TO/GA switch will initiate an auropilot or flight director go-around manoeuvre. If an automatic approach has been flown, the autopikot will remain engaged. If the approach has been manuually flown, rotate smoothly the 15 degrees pitch attitude and then follow flight director commands. If touchdown occurs after the automatic go-around is initiated, the go-around will continue. The autothrottles aplly go-around thrust as the airplane rotates to the go-around attitude. During automatic go-arounds, less than 50 feet of altitude will be lost.Note: Automatic go-arounds cannot be initiated after touchdown.The TO/GA pitch mode initally commands a go-around attitude and then transitions to speed as the rate of climb increases. This speed is between command speed and command speed plus 25 knots during the go-around. The TO/GA roll mode maintains existing ground track.Slect flaps 20, unless QRH procedures states otherwise and after a positive climb is indicated, retract the landing gear. Above 400ft, select LNAV or HDG SEL/TRK SEL as appropriate.Note: The autopilot reverts to normal operation (ie no rudder control) when a pitch or roll mode other than TO/GA is selected during the go-around, or when acquiring the missed approach altitude; when this occurs there will not be any autopilot rudder control. However, TAC will (if servicable) continue to provide yaw control.Actual thrust required for a normal go-around is usually considerably less than GA thrust. This provides a thrust margin for windshear or other situations requiring maximum thrust. A second push of the TO/GA switch will cause thrust to increase to maximum available.Complete the inital missed approach maneuvering and attain a safe height before flap retraction. At the acceleration altitude (Aa), set the selected speed bug to Vref30 +80, select FLCH or VNAV. The trust limit will automatically reduce to climb thrust.Caution: If VNAV is selected at a low altitude (above 4000ft AAL) and the active waypoint has an altitude constraint below the aircraft, then VNAV ALT will be annunciated and theaircraft will tend to decend to the altitude constraint. In this event select FLCH and a desired airspeed to resume the profile.Note: As for takeoff, if altitude capture occurs whilst still in TOGA mode, the selected speed will increase to flap limiting speed minus 5kts. Check that the thrust reference changes from TO to CLB on the EICAS. If the thrust does not change automatically, set the climb thrust using the CLB/CON switch on the MCP.-ENDS-On final approach, you should have your missed approach altitude set, and the HDG bug will automatically be aligned with the runway heading, on LOC capture.Read your approach charts to find out the missed apprach procedure as they are not in the FMC database.Cheers

Hi Iain,Thanks for this information.I haven't been able to find the location of the TO/GA switches on the sim panels or in the PSS documentation.Is this like the speedbrake arm which is only set by a keyboard combination?Thanks again,

Guest NormanB

Steve,>I haven't been able to find the location of the TO/GA switches>on the sim panels or in the PSS documentation.It is in the documentation. RIGHT click under the AT switch.

Hi Norman,I Messaged>>I haven't been able to find the location of the TO/GA switches>>on the sim panels or in the PSS documentation.>You Responded:>It is in the documentation. RIGHT click under the AT switch.Thanks - but I'm curious as to exactly where in the B777 Pro 2004 documentation this is? Before posting, I downloaded all manuals from the PSS site and searched for "TO/GA" and didn't find this information in any of them.

Guest NormanB

Steve,Its on page 48 of the tutorial. Granted it isn't maybe as clear as you would like but thats where the instruction is.I may ask Steve to include it in the MCP part of the panel since I guess that is where you would expect to find it.

Norman,I can now see why I didn't find the item on page 48 ("right click A/T ARM this engages A/T and sets THR REF" when I searched for "TO/GA".I strongly endorse your suggestion of documenting this with the MCP part of the panel, I would also suggest for the tutorial something like:* set TO/GA switch on (right click A/T ARM) to engage A/T and set THR REFBy the way, with the exception of this item, I have found your manuals and especially the tutorial to be very complete and very helpful.Thanks,

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.