Sign in to follow this  
Bera

777-300ER flight dynamics - Xwind landing

Hello,I am pleased with 777LR FDE but I find 777-300ER impossible to land when strong xwind's. I did testing and LR is more than ok (stays under control and on runway...) still with up to 30 knt wind component. I can not land 300 ER at such conditions. It will make perfect touchdown but then starts drifting wide and will exit runway towards the wind - even full rudder and aileron & diff braking simply can not keep her on runway.Is there specific reason for such difference. I believe real thing must be very close each other due to FBW technology...Best Rgs Perttu

Hello PSS,Any comment on this? 773 also does consume less fuel (only 6000 kg/hour) on cruise than LR. I really wish FDE could be more accurate since 773ER is very exciting aircraft. Also what I find strange I have kg's everywhere except fuel flow is in lbs/hr. Perttu

Do you mean manual or automatic landings?I have landed the 777-300ER manually with up to 70

Hi,I am only interested hand flying. Autoland only if it is low visibility. I wish flight dynamics for ER would be fine as well since it is exciting aircraft. Perttu

PerttuSee the "No Steering" thread on this page. You seem to have the same problem with the ER.Have a look at the ER FDE file compared to that of the LR - see if they are similar dates?John Rooum

Hi John,I have been reading that thread as well and not sure if my symptons are exactly alike. Well before landing AP is disconnected from panel and not left on. AT is armed but thrust manually controlled.PSSB777LR-GE is last saved April 2, 2006 12:30 pmPSSB773ER-GE is last saved April 8, 2006 9:59 pmBR Perttu

Dear PSS,I am sure you are busy patching 777 and finalizing 757 but could you kindly comment on above issue. Will this be fixed at the same time as the FMC lock up issue will be addressed.Best Rgs Perttu

Guest NormanB

Pertu,Is this the CD or download version?

Hi Norman,Thanks for the reply. It is CD - purely because your pricing strategy. I would always opt for download version but with offered packages/pricing makes no sence I am alfrait.I have all your Airbus's and Dash as download version... Best Rgs Perttu

Guest NormanB

Pertu,You need to make sure and have the latest patch from JustFlight. I sent them the wrong files initially.

Hi Norman,Thanks for the reply again.I have installed the patch. I bought the CD after the patch was released. And to be absolutely sure just now downloaded and reinstalled the patch again.Unfortunately I am still unable to stay on runway with ER while x-wind conditions. I did test at ksea 34R winds 070/25 and LR (as well as Level-D + all PMDG) I am able to land ok and track the centerline with nose wheel while braking. Yes there is lateral movement but that is what x-wind landings are all about.With ER she makes a good touchdown but then starts drifting towards the wind and goes wide dispite my efforts to steer. Lateral control is not possible to maintain after wheels on the ground. I do realise it is a long aircraft and cockpit is some distance from MLG but this thing skids sideways and nothing can be done.Also fuel flow is lbs/hr when everything else is kg's and still ER burns less (roughly what 767 in real world would) on cruise than LR which can not be the case.I do trust these issues will be solved.Best Rgs Perttu

Guest NormanB

Pertu,As far as I know, JustFlight have not remastered their CDs so it wouldnt matter if you bought it today - it would still need patched.Make sure that you start with the default flight - you may also wish to disable the default autopilot (searching this forum will show a number of posts) to make sure that this is not being enabled by accident.Fuel flow - cant say I have seen that albeit I fly in KGs as a rule (its the Airbus pilot in me!) The FDEs were completely rewritten and from memory the variants were as close to real world as possible; in particular the 200LR was able to mimic the record breaking Hong Kong to Heathrow flight.

Dear Norman,I highly appreciate your efforts to help.I do realise JF does not sell patched version. Therefore I have once installed patch from their site. And to be sure I did reinstall that again just before posting here. So my 777 is patched, no doubt there, ok.I am concerned about flight dynamics with ER and to be specific again X-wind landing. With less X-wind she lands ok, I do not think it has anything to do with autopilot. LR does not have the same issue - it handles ok and I am able to land and slow down as required.LBS/KG issue then. I have everything in KG's (I do not use lbs in flightsim at all) except fuelflow on the 777 panel is indicated lbs instead of kg for some reason. On FMC, fuel gauges etc everything is kg as supposed. Can you do following tests for me:- Try landing ER with 25 knt x-wind component, if you can upload a video somewhere, perfect - Indicated fuelflow at FL 350 (-55c oat, no wind) with LR and ER, report the figures Then I can compare what I am getting at this end. LR is close to real world numbers but ER is way off to my opinion. Best Rgs Perttu

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.