Sign in to follow this  
Guest NormanB

FMS Polar Operations

Guest NormanB

Brian,The FS World sadly isn't quite like the real one. It's simply not possibly to fly the poles since they are not modelled in the base simulator.

Which has very little to do with his question.You can switch from MAG to TRU over the equator if you really wanted to.In truth, Brian, this is something that PSS simply has not modeled, and has nothing to do at all with any FS limitation.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Guest skybo120

Just a quick question regarding Polar Operations in the PSS777. I recently flew a KEWR-VHHH, using the ACAPOLAR2 route. This route goes about 60nm south of the True North Pole. In the real 777, when the FMS senses that it has entered the set "Polar region"(82 degrees N), it automatically sets the north reference to TRU or (True) instead of Magnetic. When I conducted my flight the other night I noticed that it did not switch automatically, so I did it manually. Is the PSS777 modeled to do it automatically? Just curious. It really doesnt matter to me either way, as its not hard to do it manually.Thanks in advance,Brian

Guest NormanB

Brian D,Pray tell how we are supposed to get to somewhere that doesn't exist in the base simulator?Therefore how does it not answer his question? SInce the sim cant get to the poles, how could it autoswitch?

Guest skybo120

no no it can get to the poles just fine....in fact, the waypoint nearest the pole is DEVID, which was one of my waypoints...its very close, within 50-60nm i think, maybe less...flying over the pole in the sim works fine from what i can see...i was just curious if the FMS was programmed to switch automatically...its no big deali was actually very impressed with how the PSS777 performed on the route...nailed every waypoint across the big white expansethanksBrian

Norman,I flew a polar route in the sim, with another aircraft of course, just a week or so ago, ORD-HKG. This aircraft has implemented Split IRS Ops, a feature only necessary at very high latitudes, IOW, polar flight. I had no knowledge of this before flying the route, info from forum member "Qavion" after I completed the flight explained it all.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/149804.jpgI think you may misunderstand what polar routing/operations are, or misunderstood the question.The answer you gave was dishonest, in blaming the sim's limitations for something that doesn't depend on the sim to be implemented. This may be because you indeed didn't understand the question, but still, a more honest answer would have been to have simply stated PSS didn't invest any time dealing with polar flight, since it can be, for lack of a better word, odd, in MSFS.Instead, you blamed the sim, as if to say "Well we sure would've done it, but that darn MSFS...", which is rubbish, and an all too common excuse in this forum.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Guest skybo120

no no its not that they didnt invest time into the 777 for polar ops.....they didnt have to, its in the basic 777 nav...the PSS777 performed excellently up there just like the real thing....not a single glitch....dont go so hard on PSS, their product is pretty good....the only way to get all of the features of the real 777 is to invest a few hundred million and buy the real thing...there are limitations to what they can do with flight simBrian

the PSS777 performed excellently up there just like the real thing....not a single glitch....You're kinda contradicting yourself here. If it indeed "performed excellently up there just like the real thing", what was the point of this thread, and your original question ? :-hmmm dont go so hard on PSS, their product is pretty good...You're entitled to your opinion, as am I. I understand you have family active on the T7, which is great, but I have to wonder what other products you own for our sim, as it gets much, much better than this.the only way to get all of the features of the real 777 is to invest a few hundred million and buy the real thing...there are limitations to what they can do with flight simOr one could just stick with products/developers that somehow manage to overcome many of these "limitations", and don't use the limitations of the sim to excuse a subpar product from criticism. If it were possible for me to delete the T7 from my HD, and have my money magically depositied back into my account, well, that would've been done a week after the patch was released, good riddance to bad rubbish, and I would have gladly exited stage left not to be heard from again. Unfortunately, that isn't possible, so expressing my total dissatisfaction here, and it is indeed total, is my only recourse.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Guest skybo120

im not going to argue with you, its pointless....the thread was about a simple question, not a problem...the aircraft had no problem navigating...i think you need to realize that this aircraft is way too complex to have all aspects modeled. Trust me, I know this aircraft inside and out. Ive read all manuals, Ive gone through the Boeing computer based training, and I have time in the full motion sim, and Im telling you this product is pretty darn accurate.stop sweating the small things and fly the aircraftbut alas, like i said, im not going to argue with you any more, its ridiculousBrian

im not going to argue with you, its pointless.... That's good, because there's no argument to be had.i think you need to realize that this aircraft is way too complex to have all aspects modeled. Trust me, I know this aircraft inside and out. Ive read all manuals, Ive gone through the Boeing computer based training, and I have time in the full motion sim, and Im telling you this product is pretty darn accurate.You obviously have no frame of reference. You may have alot of real world knowledge, knowledge that I'm sure would be invaluable to PSS, but it is quite clear you have very little experience with the sim, and available prodcuts for it, which is where my concerns lie. The sim, where the PSS T7 doesn't even make the top 5.I have an entire bookcase full, literally full, of AOM's, and quite a number of CBT's as well, not to mention literally GB's of digital media that you will never see, though I do not have a T7 CBT, so pffft, I guess that's that. What was your point again ?stop sweating the small things and fly the aircraftAbsolutely not.but alas, like i said, im not going to argue with you any more, its ridiculousRidiculous indeed.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Guest NormanB

Brian D,I think your knowledge is lacking. The MSFS world is flat and has no poles. Don't believe me? Ask taildragger or pixelpoke on the main AVSIM forums.I completely understood the question and take exception to your effectively calling me a liar.To the other Brian, apols for the lock, however this thread has now run its course.