Sign in to follow this  
guy

Polar Nav

Guest NormanB

Thanks Guy. A great read indeed.

Guest gdafc

Deleted non support comment.Garry, You have my mobile number and I'm happy to see just what the problem is. Norman

Guest skybo120

Great articles. Sam- interesting how the MD-11 works. I looked up the same topic in the Boeing 777 Manual under the ETOPS section. It says essentially the same thing, with slightly different numbers.The 777 considers any flight above 79N to be considered a polar operation. However, the ND does not switch from magnetic to true until into 82N. There is also a "keyhole" of such that stretches out over northern Canada where the ND will switch to true as early as 70N.I noticed some of the wording is identical in the 777 manual as in the exerpts you provided from the MD-11 manual. I have actually seen the "flip" that the ND does when it crosses that magical point up north. It rapidly goes from showing heading north to showing heading south. Its really neat.As I mentioned before, the PSS777 handles these operations perfectly.Brian

I flew Kjfk-ZBAA (NewYork-Peking) using the polar route with the 777 from Pss now.Used the Polar 3 (G491) route with entry point Ramel. See the Boeing document: http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagaz...polar_fig1.htmlFound the other two routes polar 2 (B480, ep Devid) and Polar 4(G494, ep Orvit) also.They are all there in FS , if not easy to find.One can fly the whole route using LNAV as was said in the Boeing doc, but I made also an excursion up north to the FS-wall at 89

Guest NormanB

Garry,I emailed you last week using the address registered against your PSS purchases. If you dont have access to that then let me know.The last time we conferred by email was in April and I never heard back from my last one to you sent 06 April.The email sent to you on Wednesday said:Garry,Having done investigative work to figure out who you are, my last email to you was on the 6th April and is without response. The post signing helps us to put names to purchases, as well as making things more friendly. As it stands right now I am off to work so cant respond in full. If you so wish, I can be contacted (except when airside) day or night.Short answer is yes, we are aware of the lockup and are confident of a fix soon - I cant be more specific than that since its subject to QA. And no its not based on 757 sales, despite your thoughts.NormanPSS Support

Guest D17S

There really are navigation mode changes that occur as an airplane transits the Polar Regions. And FS9 really can operate in polar regions < N89.30. Here

Guest NormanB

>No problems. Good plane the 777.Thanks Guy,Just a shame that FS doesnt let us simulate going right over the poles :(Maybe in FSX!

If I have read correctly, the top end of the FS world is at N89.30. If this is correct, then polar routings that are south of that latitude should be flyable, e.g. North America-Asia, ACA POLAR2 tops out at DEVID (N89.00W168.58.4) and two routes (B480 and G490) split at that point and head south to Irkutsk and Nobosibirsk respectively (this is on the Jepp Arctic Polar/North Pacific Enroute Chart dated 4 Aug 05). One of the Alaska-Europe polar routes go directly over the North Pole, but a couple of others go slightly south; so, again, it should be possible to fly a routing as long as it is south of the magic line, which appears to be N89.30.Any thoughts?ThanksDave (baw716)

1)The maximum one can go is effectively N89.30 in FS. If you hit this so-called wall you do not move forward anymore but you are moved laterally with very high speed!2) the most northern routes are those figuring on this figure from Boeing:http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagaz...polar_fig1.htmlPolar 2 (entry point devid) , 3 (ep Ramel) and 4 (ep Orvit) are there in FS(with the waypoints) . I did not look up Polar 1.The FS flightplanner (direct GPS)route for a NewYork-Peking(Kjfk-Zbaa)goes right over Polar 3(G491).To see the route in FS you must use Zooming. This is a bit difficult. And, curiously, if you zoom, the route appears, but then when you zoom more it disappears again!The most northern route I found using the FS flight planner is New York-Ulan Bathor(Mongolia).I Think in reality it goes right over the North Pole.3) Sure you can fly those routes.As I said before I flew KJFK-ZBAA using Polar 3 a few days ago.The entry point is Ramel and there are other waypoints of G491 down the route: Tigla, Aslar,Uest, Abdag,Uevv,Babed, Cz,Debed,Uemo,Idran, Sulok . I completed with some waypoints I added manually in the FMC.4) The other polar routes of the ACA system (Acap/r etc) and PTS (polar track structure) are there also. Guy

Guest D17S

I had some fun the other day with a polar route. You have to give up your real world job for a bit though, and become a Virtual Pilot. If your route goes above 89.30, you'll have to do some fancy driving, but it can be done. Have your FMC

Have looked up the B480(polar 2) in FS now also in the FS flightplanner:It passes through the russian town of Bratsk (UIBB).It originates more fare south in the Irkutsk area.If you set a fligtplan from UIBB to KORD using direct GPS , you can follow the B480 up North.Found the waypoints : Kumar, Riton, Velna,Bagal, Tegmo, Gopta,Pomar,AI ,Oveda, Nason,Sakur,Kemit,Natir(town of Khatanga, UOHH), Tolik,Beson,Badro and finally Devid.Curiously above 80

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.