Sign in to follow this  
aastolfi

Capturing and following a VOR radial

Hi,there is a way to capture and follow a VOR radial?Thank youAlberto

Guest Steve_Park

I assume you are talking about the T7, right?If so, just enter the vor and radial you wish to track into the CDU on the NAV RAD page under VOR and CRS.Then select LOC as the mode on the MCP....simple.But with such an excellent FMS, why would you want to do that?Steve Park

Guest Knikolaes

I can see why he'd want to do that. I do the same thing whilst following Computer Pilot "Round Robins" - which almost always use VOR to VOR navigation. It is a great skill to know in any size airliner of any capability. It's actually VERY fun to do when practicing procedures - especially when ATC tells you "takeoff and follow xx heading to intercept xxx radial. It almost takes less time for you to just enter the course and frequency and just do it than to sit there doing all kinds of advanced vector programming in the CDU Flight Plan. :-)Also, when practicing VOR approaches in local pattern work, this is definitely an invaluable skill to have.

Thanks Steve,I appreciate your suggestion very much.But, if you allow, I have another question.The use of the LOC AP mode to follow a VOR radial, it's a workaround or it's an official (real) procedure?To respond to Knikolaes, I want to do that, because I'm unable to follow correctly some SIDS and STARS. As you already know, the T7 have some problem following correctly the departure and arrival procedures, because it turns very early before reaching the waypoints. So I follow the procedures manually, and I need a way to follow a VOR radial.Bye

Guest Steve_Park

Sorry, I can't answer "Officially" as I am not rated in the B777. I do know however that a lot of the Boeing MCP's LOC button's are labeled "VOR/LOC" and I did try it with several VOR's/VORTAC's in the Seattle area and successfully had the T7 navigate to CYVR using VOR radial tracking only. I did have to use heading select while I switched to the ILS frequence/course at the airport.I am not sure about your other question in the forum about "Overflight" of a waypoint. I know that the west bound departures at VHHH require that you "Overfly" the waypoint prior to commencing your turn (so as not to run into mountains) to the next waypoint and the PSS 777 alway's start's the turn prior to reaching it. I just hand fly or use heading hold/select to get around it, but there might be a proceedure to cause the aircraft to actually overfly.Steve Park

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.