Sign in to follow this  
kevinh

FS addon release dates

In the real world, project timescales get announced, with provisional completion dates. Sometimes they overrun. I produce simulation software for "real" flight simulators and if I told my airline customers "it will be ready when it's ready" nobody would buy anything from me.Seems everyone in the FS addon industry is frightened of announcing timescale targets, although CS have announced target release dates for their 757 packages in terms of year quarters. PMDG give broad hints, PSS drop heavy hints when near a release. Level D say nothing at all. Of course, developers get pestered even more for being secretive.I realise that these products rely on people working in their spare time and also that they are incredibly complex. So accurate predictions should not be expected. I feel there would be no harm in giving provisional release periods, in terms of months or quarters. Nothing specific, with no promises.I'm not being impatient here, but as there are 3 757 addons in development (the CS 757 full package is still not out) and us customers need to know approximately when they might be released. I would like to wait until all 3 are out and reviewed before choosing one, but if the LD 757 is a long way off I might rule it out.I must admit the livery and model range PSS are offering is going to be hard to resist.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

I understand what you're saying - I've pre-ordered but from next Saturday I won't have internet access for about 5 weeks so I'm hoping to get the new 757 by then :)However, I've seen what happens before when developers announce release dates and fail to meet them for whatever reason. I can remember a few years ago when SSW allowed pre-orders for the A310. They announced a release date and failed to meet it. Customers were screaming bloody murder on their forums and demanding the A310 be released. Of course it didn't help the developers disappeared for about a week after the announced release date.The problem is if PSS were to announce a release date some people would have unrealistic expectations and want it released come #### or high water. There could be a hitherto undiscovered bug or problem with the product that requires a fix and additional testing, and delaying the release having already announced a date would result in lots of people making angry and unreasonable posts in here and other forums.I pre-ordered the 777 last year and remember the debacle with that release. As a long time customer of PSS I had faith they would come through in the end, and they did (eventually!). I can imagine the team at PSS are working hard to make sure the events of last year's release are not repeated with the 757.Basically, if PSS are confident enough to take pre-orders for the 757 I'm confident it's *very* near completion and ready for release. I just hope I can download it before next Saturday morning after which I won't have net access for some time!Cheers,Nick

Guest NormanB

In keeping with the subject, I can empathise why developers do this.You use the term "customers need to know" - I would suggest that need is too strong a term with "like" as a more appropriate descriptive term.In regards to an approximate date, we have said that it will be before FSX.