Sign in to follow this  

Gauges folder - file limit?

Hi,Does anyone know whether there is a limit to the number of files than can be held by the gauges folder?Currently my installation has in excess of 90 a/c. I know, I know, most people only ever fly a few on a regular basis but, like most folk, whenever something new and interesting is released it gets downloaded and installed and generally remains installed thereafter. The file count in my gauges folder is 1961.Mike :-wave

Hi Mike,I think there's no limit for your gauges folder. But the more files you have, the system gets running slower. The files in the gauges folder has nothing to do with the number of aircrafts, but with the number of panels you have. I suggest you to use gaugesmanager, it's a program that delete gauges what's not used by your current panels.Hope you can do with this.Regards,Cees

Hi Cees,>the more files you have, the system gets running slower

Hi Mike,No, there's no practical limit.And unless you are in deperate need of freeing up a few Mbytes on your HD, I don't see any advantage in using these so-called gauge-managers. If your gauge folder contain 100 or 2000 gauges, you won't see any measurable loadtime difference.Maybe if your gauge folder contains 100.000+ files, you would :-)What could help improving startup of FS2K2, is cleaning up unused add-on scenery, because FS2K2 checks all the scenery database at startup (= check whether all scenery.dat files are still valid).Plus that will save a lot more diskspace.Rob

There is a theoretical limit which is the maximum number of files in a single folder that your operating system can handle.But that number is large enough that you needn't worry about it :-rotor