Sign in to follow this  
Guest robdebakker

descent speed

Guest robdebakker

After reinstalling PSS777 I notice differences in behaviour. Obviously this install is different from the first release, that I have used up to now.1. The descent speed does not match as accurate anymore the selected speed (in VNAN and in FLCH).2. On the ground up to now I used appr. 30% for taxi at 25 kts. Now I have to set it iddle (19%) and it keeps still increasing speed. I have to use breaks to reduce constantly.I am a long timer user off PSS (since 2002). it is a great product. How can I change settings to correct these items?Best,Rob

Guest NormanB

Rob,The current 777 is patched with SP1 which has a completely rewritten FDE. A further patch is due out in days.Please ensure you are starting from the default MSFS flight and then changing to the 777.

Guest robdebakker

Yes I am starting in the default MSFS startup at Meigs/Cessna. Are the settings of my questions going to be changed in the next patch?BestRob

Guest robdebakker

I have not have an answer to the descent speed and the coming patch.I found the old version 1.0 base installer. If I use this do I then avoid SP1? That is because VNAV descent speed is much better without SP1.Best,Rob

Guest Knikolaes

>Yes I am starting in the default MSFS startup at>Meigs/Cessna. >Meigs? You are using FS9, right? Default should be Seattle, Cessna, Avionics/Battery/Alts on and engine running.<> -- rest of my post deleted as my answer was based on my thinking he had issues with the bird's speed in flight, not on the ground. Oops. Sorry.Chris

Guest robdebakker

Quote: rest of my post deleted as my answer was based on my thinking he had issues with the bird's speed in flight, not on the ground. UnquoteYes, you were right, it is about speed in flight! VNAV dsecend speed is racing amd not stable. You what was your comment?Hope my question about installing v 1.0 wthout SP1 will be answered by Phoenix.Best,Rob

Guest Knikolaes

OH! Ooops again.Well, my answer was practically a book, but to make a long reply short -- I basically do what the real pilots do -- use FL CH and manage speed manually. Real world pilots do not use VNAV for descent. They stay at altitude and await ATC's instruction in all cases, then when ATC starts bringing them down, they use FL CH and HDG Select to follow instructions to landing.I know this is not a TECHNICAL fix to the issue, but rather a procedural one. Not sure how you want to do it in the sim, but as a student pilot I try to follow procedures in the sim as well, so I figured I'd pass that on.When testing this aircraft's capabilities I did indeed have VNAV issues on descent, however using FLCH and managing speed in that manner I almost always have a perfect descent. Even if you do not use ATC in FS9, at your TOD, still use FLCH and manage speeds on the way down. I always manage speed and slow to desired descent speed 10nm before descent, then I am ready to just start her down at TOD, using LNAV to still guide me in for the aproach unless i am otherwise following ATC instruction.Hope that helps. I know it is not a "technical" answer to the product, but it will definitely add some realism to your flights by the way the airlines actually do it :-)

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.