Sign in to follow this  
nudata

Firewall Blocked Avsim Port 4270 entry ???

I received the following info from my firewall when accessing the Library.===================== ZoneAlarm blocked traffic to port 4270 on your machine from port 20 on a remote computer whose IP address is 205.252.89.42. This communication attempt may have been a port scan, or simply one of the millions of unsolicited commercial or network control messages that are routinely sent out over the Internet. Such unsolicited messages are often called Internet background noise. ===============================What is the purpose of this entry? Is it ok to allow it or is something nasty going on??Thanks,Dick KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest Ken_Salter

What happened is you were trying to download a file. AVSIM uses FTP to transfer. FTP protocol uses ports 20 & 21 if you are NOT using PASSIVE mode. The FTP server will attempt to connect to your port 20 to send data. Your firewall blocked this, as it should.To get around this, you must set your browser to PASSIVE mode. This instructs the browser to connect to the server on a port specified by the server to get data. This will get around the firewall.You can set PASSIVE mode by following instructions in a pinned post in this forum. Or you can allow entry to port 20. Either way is ok. I recommend using PASSIVE mode.http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"Ah, the Luftwaffe - the Washington Generals of the History Channel." - Homer Simpson

Thanks Ken for the prompt reply. Sorry I did not see the info in the pinned item. Thought all of the staff would at the party and flying the B-25.Dick KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA