Sign in to follow this  
Guest Victor Sussman

Back Course Approaches

Guest Victor Sussman

Hello everyone, Well, I was reading the 757 manual, and noticed the inclusion of the BCRS switch (a mode I happily use on the 767 all the time. ;)).Anyway, it got me thinking -- what is the proper procedure for executing a LOC(BC) approach on the 777, since it only has a 'LOC' switch? I did a search and didn't come up with much as far as I could tell. :(Can you just enter the localizer front course and frequency on the NAV RAD page and fly the approach using the LOC mode? Will it automatically compensate for the reversed localizer indications inherent in a back course?I realize I could fly the procedure by hand instead, but I was just wondering if it was possible to use the A/P at all. Thanks! :)

Guest Victor Sussman

Anyone? ;)Are 777s simply too large to typically ever visit a field where they might encounter a LOC(BC) approach?Sorry for dredging up an old thread, but I was just wondering.... Thanks in advance. :)

I doubt it, there are plenty of BC approaches at large airportsScott

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Non-Precision ApproachesLocaliser Back BeamUse LNAV, TRK SEL or HDG SEL. Do not use the MCP LOC facility. If the Back Course approach is not included in the FMC approach procedures, insert the ILS frequency and its front course QDM into the NAV RAD page. Intermediate ApproachLateral Guidance: 1. Only intermediate approaches contained within the FMC may be flown using LNAV 2. Tracking to or holding at a database waypoint is permitted in LNAV 3. Non database procedure turns/tear drops and DME arcs, etc. must not be flown in LNAV. A navaid/waypoint and the appropriate radial/track may be inserted on the fix page to create a depiction of the procedure turn etc. on the ND. Use TRK or HDG and confirm correct execution of the procedure by the use of needles with DME and/or stopwatch. THese turns must be flown in TRK SEL or HDG SEL.Vertical Guidance:FLCH, V/S or FPA may be used as appropriate.During the descent to the FAF, select gear down, flaps 20 and reduce speed to VREF 30+20.Establish in the landing configuration prior to the final approach fix.Final ApproachLateral Guidance: 1. Approaches contained within the FMC database may be flown using LNAV. 2. For approaches not in the database; LNAV may be used provided the final approach track is aligned with the runway QDM and RWY with RWY EXT is selected in the FMC. There must be no other waypoints on the legs page between the RX point and the runway. The RX point should normaly be selected at a position coinvident with the final approach fix if one is available. The insertion of the inbound track must be achieved by line selecting "Xxx INTC" (where xx is the runway in use) on the DEP/ARR page (line select key 6R).Other required positions i.e. radio aids or reporting points should be depicited on the ND using the FMC fix pages.TRK SEL or HDG SEL must be used if the final approach is offset.Vertical GuidanceFPA is recommended, alternativly V/S may be used. After passing the final approach fix set the missed approach altitude in the MCP.

Guest Victor Sussman

Triple7 - thanks a lot! Great info there, and I'll keep it in mind when I get the chance. I knew there had to be a way to do it. :)(By the way, where'd you acquire all this great information? ;))Thanks again. :D

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.