Sign in to follow this  
Jetset408

Long-ish Review

Morning folks!The following is in addition to the CDU problems. See another thread for those. These are my views after about 3 hours play. Please note, I have never complained about an addon in a forum before. I do not make a habit of bashing developers. I hope that this is not perceived as a bash - more as an honest review for those undecided as to whether or not to buy. Intro: I currently use the 2 most respected FS2004 addons extensively. I have a good performing system which handles those without fail, as well as AS6. Yesterday, I did a clean install of the whole PC (windows, fsim, the lot!). I then installed PSS757.FRAME RATESVery erratic. Changes wildly when opening/closing panels, varying from 25fps to 10fps. Opening the FMC seems to cause a heavy hit randomly. Generally, frams are about 10fps lower than the PMDG744/LDS767 despite a MUCH less modelled suite of systemsPERFORMANCESide viewing on visual approaches impossible - takes a LONG time to open VC side views and the transparent windows. I have no such problem on any other addon so its not my PC! The ability to adjust gauge refresh rates is limited. Considering the level of detail on the gauges, and the relatively less programming of the 757 over other addons, gauge resfresh rates should be much better, without detrimental effect on overall FPS.RELEASE OMISSIONSPSS promised we would not have to download all liveries.... we did! No utilities included as promised (yes I know this will be amended). Stated system requirements noted space required as Mb. The install took about 1.5GB!!!!!! This has caused me a whole host of problems by filling my FSim partition.Also, I know it was never planned, but what sense is there in not including a pushback? All addons these days have them. We all knoe the FSim one does not work correctly.SYSTEMSAs well ad the CDU problem, the whole pack/air system does not appear to function at all. The needles are stationary whatever the settings. Enginer start is very poorly modelled, working with packs on, and having no effect on the air system gauge on the overhead. Also, warning alarms sound as the engines fire up. The whole sequence is not as would be expected in the real aircraft. Autobrake does not disconnect with toe brakes as it should - very difficult on roll out in a crosswind to switch off and taxi clear. SOUNDSThey are of FS98 standard. You can clearly hear the loops. Engine startup is quick and poor. No ambient sound. No APU sound. No electric/air-con sound. Gear config sound is wrong compared to the real aircraft. No growl at high N1 on takeoff, which IS heard on the actual aircraft cockpit.FLIGHT DYNAMICSI cannot properly stall the aircraft!!!! With engines idle, and elevators FULL up, it slows down very gradually, and the sink rate increases slowly. No stall horn happens most of the time. With 15 degress of flaps in theis config, the plane never stalls. The speed is around 130kts, and descent rate around 2000fpm. The speed even increases at times. This is rediculous! Ground handling is rather like a go-kart. The plane turns faster than nosewheel should permit allowing it to track over the ground unrealistically. Very difficult to accelerate and control speed in turns. Even with trim and weight properly set, takeoff requires full back pressure and occurs over a considerable amount of time, often needing another 20kts over VR to become airborne.VIEWThe view even after updating the configs just now, appears as though you are sitting down. It needs to be shifted down permanently. Inside the VC at night, the flood light flashes with the strobes!MODELBetter than most PSS attempts, but still, alpha too high giving it fake appearance. Looking through the windows is a nice addition, but its as though there is a Sun inside the cabin. Even in sunlight, the cabin should be darker than outside! The logo tail light flashes at night, in time with the strobes. Individual lights are not modelled - i.e. L & R lights tied together unlike most addons these days.In conclusion, although there are some nice points like the rendering on the panels and inclusion of many systems. However, most things do not function very realistically, and appear to be more for show. I would suggest this as an addon for the new "Lite" category, and not "Professional". At the end of the day, you can just ignore all the systems, and fly it normally unlike some of the other professional packages.Please take constructively.Regards,Rob

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

quote: "Enginer start is very poorly modelled, working with packs on, and having no effect on the air system gauge on the overhead." unquoteYou can start an engine with the packs on, it's just not normal procedure. I don't like to see add-ons inhibiting things just because the procedure says you should throw this or that switch first. If it will work, it should, but maybe not perfectly.Agreed it should cause a larger duct pressure drop, but a start should still be possible. The fact that duct pressure is not modelled properly is a concern, but minor really.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

In real-life, it is almost impossible to get the engine started with Packs on. I don't know how the Pratts are, but the RR will almost defintely blow engine start EGT limits, which is only 570 Deg.

Cool788.png
Corey Ford
QualityWings Simulations
Development Team

""In real-life, it is almost impossible to get the engine started with Packs on. I don't know how the Pratts are, but the RR will almost defintely blow engine start EGT limits, which is only 570 Deg.""Absolutely true. Normal duct pressure for start is 30 psi, which gives a 25 % N3 for fuel on in +- 20 seconds, EGT peak of +- 370-410 C. Up to 22-25 psi(summer outside temps or weak APU) it can be obtained 18-23 % N3 for fuel on, with an EGT peak of +- 450-520 C. With packs on pressure would drop to below 20 (near 15), and a max rotation before fuel on of 15 % N3, which would normally rise EGT peak to beyond the 570 C limit -HOT START (610-640 C). All these numbers for SAT conditions or similar. Tom

Even so, it would be better for PSS to try to model the different starting behaviour at low duct pressure than to simply inhibit a start with packs on. Since duct pressure does not appear to be modelled, going by the comments above, then there wouldn't be any point.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Guest jeremy19446

>RELEASE OMISSIONS>>PSS promised we would not have to download all liveries.... we>did! No utilities included as promised (yes I know this will>be amended)>I dont recall them ever PROMISING it, If you read one of Normans posts you will see that it was going to be impossible with the current setup.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.