Sign in to follow this  
Guest DJL

strange SID/STAR issue

hello,this seems to be an isolated issue, but so far I tried several things and they reproduced the same problem. I'll try to be as detailed as possible for the anyone who wants to try to reproduce itloading at KSAN, any gate (default cessna and/or PSS752 United)I undock or not the FMCKSAN as my positionrunway 27 as departureKSAN as my departureKSFO as my arrivalRoute:PEBLE3.SXC VTU RZS J501 BSR.BSR2EXECUTEclick on aircraft payload to find out the zfwenter the zfw on the fmc.1 reserves86 as cost indexany flight level.. tried FL300 and FL400flaps 15Click on DEP/ARRKSAN departure: PEBLE3click on SXC transitionclick executeclick index select arrival for SFOclick on BSR2and my computer freezes...one strange thing is: I tried selecting the BSR2 departure from Seattle... and it worked... ??? I quite can't figure this one out... can anyone reproduce this problem?http://www.centuryhangar.com/siggy.jpg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Daren,I'm not sure if it's a SID/STAR issue but my system froze too but it froze as soon as I entered the cost index. I tried it twice and it froze the first time as soon as I entered 86 as the cost index. The second time, I entered 100 (what I normally input on my flights) and the system froze again. I never got as far as you did. I checked the event viewer for each crashes and found no reason for the crash or why the system froze. I have used the 757 CDU on several occasions and this is the first time I have ever had a problem with it. I don't have a solution to your problem but wanted to confirm my system freezes too. Hope you can find a fix for your problem.Best regards,JimYoung

Daren,Just input your route 10 times and, yes, I can reproduce the freeze but only by inputting data in a strange order.Firstly, I could not reproduce the order as laid out in your message - on my system, once you press EXE when inputting a route on the ground, you cannot access the "Arrival" page until at least at cruising altitude. Hence, once you pressed EXE the first [or second time] you would not be able to attempt:"click index select arrival for SFOclick on BSR2"as suggested at the end on your list.Secondly, the only way I could reproduce the freeze was to follow your order until you input the STAR BSR.2 WITHOUT an arrival runway. If I then press "activate" then go to input the performance, the FMC will freeze when I attempt to input the CI.However, if I input a runway [anyone] when I select the BSR.2 STAR, I can go though the rest of the procedure without a freeze.I have tried this several times and can only reproduce your freeze if I fail to select an arrival runway with the STAR - I am sitting at the gate at KSAN now with it all loaded, so I will go and fly it - just to see the final result.In sum, to me it seems sensible not to insert a STAR until you know the runway in use. However, I have never operated US procedures in the US so perhaps one of the US 757 pilots can advise.In the meantime, suggest that you try it but select a runway, then insert the relevant STAR.Let me know how you get on.John Rooum

Daren,I just completed a flight successfully! This time I left out two of the waypoints - VTU and J501 to BSR. On the KSAN departure page I entered PEBLE3 and selected SXC as the transition. Went back to the Route page and entered (DIRECT TO) RZS, then back to the KSFO arrival page and clicked on BSR2 and 28L. This time I was able to complete all the rest of the pages of the CDU and fly the route. I did have to go into the Legs page and delete some duplicate entries but the flight went well without the computer freezing up. I still can't figure out why the Legs page had duplicate waypoints for the PEBLE3 SID. Hope this helps.Best regards,JimYoung

Jim,I'm just at TOC but had the same problems of duplicate waypoints. Never seen this before - suspect it might be a NAVDATA problem.Hope Daren cracks it as well.John Rooum

Well,I did as you suiggested and I didn;t enter an Arrival chart. Was able to takeoff (very nice) and climb to my altitude. 17 minutes out of SFO I HAD TO enter an arrival chart or it would mess up my descent plan.So I again pulled the DEP/APP page, clicked on SFO ARR and selected BSR2froze in mid air...http://www.centuryhangar.com/siggy.jpg

DarenTry selecting the arrival runway first - then the STAR.John Rooum