Sign in to follow this  
Guest alfatango

B757 NAV2 and IRS

Guest alfatango

I have just downloaded the 757 (General Release), made a short test flight and the first impression is quite positive; I have however three (maybe silly) questions:1. Is it possible to tune NAV2 from the 2D MCP? I can tune it through the FMC, but I only see the vindow for NAV1 on the MCP, and I have failed to identify a F/O - CPT view switch on the panel (in case NAV2 is on the far right of the panel, outside the screen size).2. How is exactly the IRS alignement procedure designed to operate? I understand that by pressing "an alpha key" on the keyboard the IRS should enter "keyboard input mode": Is it meant one of the keys marked N,S,E,W on the small keyboard to the right of the IRS window in the OH panel? In my case, no key on this small keyboard seems to work (and the mouse pointer does not change shape when passing on top of them).3. I have first installed the no-VC models and run the config, then I have re-run the base installer and installed the VC models. Again, the config utility ran at the end of the install. However, in the "plane select" vindow of FS9 there is only one set of B757 planes, and they actually are those without VC. Have I made a mistake in the install procedure? Are the two sets (no-VC and VC) identified differently in the airplane selection vindow of FS9?In any case, congratulation for the great job.Thanks for any helpAndrea

Guest alfatango

Sirs, I understand that it has been a hard work period for PSS, and that mine might be a silly enquiry, but I would highly appreciate a reply from PSS support team.I am truly enjoying the B757, but getting an answer for my little problems would further enhance the experience with it.Thanks in advance to the PSS support teamAndrea

Andrea,1. Have you tried using the VC to tune NAV2? Using Active Camera, it's certainly possible to shift yur viewpoint to the right seat, and though I haven't tried this, you ought to be able to use NAV2 from there.2. The IRS system is fairly automatic. When you first power up the plane, you set all three switches to NAV and leave them alone. The initial position is then entered using the CDU, on the POS INIT page. The keyboard on the overhead IRS subpanel is not normally used.3. I guess if I'd read your third paragraph, I'd have known the answer to my question in MY paragraph 1...I'd recommend deleting and reinstalling to see if that solves your VC problem.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Guest alfatango

Thanks Kurt1&3 I will try re-installing the VC version. I assume that - if everything goes right - i should have two sets of planes selectable in the FS9 window - one noVC and one VC. However, I was wondering whether it is possible to select NAV2 from the MCP in 2D view, as I normally prefer to fly using the 2D panel.2 Yes, it works well as described by you. Again, I was wondering what is meant in the PSS Panel Manual when it is mentioned entering Lat/Long through the keybord (specifically mentioning that pressing an "alpha" key will switch the IRS system to keyboard entry). BTW, switching the IRS selector to Align actually results in a blinking "Align" amber light after the preset time - indicating alignment failure.Thanks in advance to anybody who can provide me with some further infoAndrea

Andrea,The IRS system is automatic...you set it to NAV and leave it alone, entering the initialization position through the CDU on the POS INIT page. You don't need to enter the position via the IRS keyboard, and you don't need to select ALIGN on the IRS switches. :-)

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Guest NormanB

Andrea,No such thing as a silly question.>1. Is it possible to tune NAV2 from the 2D MCP? No. >2. How is exactly the IRS alignement procedure designed to>operate? Others have mentioned it but basically the alphakey is for the FMC - not for the IRS.>3. I have first installed the no-VC models and run the config,>then I have re-run the base installer and installed the VC>models. It is not possible to have both sets installed at the same time. Originally the 757 was released without the option of having No VC. This option was added based on customer feedback.>In any case, congratulation for the great job.Thanks,

Guest alfatango

Thanks Norman.Re point 2, I am only a bit confused about the Panel manual, at the bottom of page 6 there is a picture which suggests that the IRS keyboard is actually usable - from the caption, my understanding is that only the "H" key for heading entry is not modelled, while the others are.You may wish to have a check with the manual, or maybe I am missing something.Best RegardsAndrea

Guest NormanB

Andrea,If that keypad works it is something I completely missed during testing! I know in the earlier days I tried it and it did nothing. That said, it wasnt an area I had to focus on.I will load the 757 tonight and try this myself.

Guest alfatango

Norman, be comforted, the keyboard on the IRS section of the O/H panel does not work at all.I was induced into thinking that it would work by the picture on the PSS Panel manual (the picture I have attached to my previous post).I was just wondering whether I have misread the manual, or whether maybe the Panel manual is incorrect in that respect.Andrea

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.