Sign in to follow this  
garydpoole

757 frame rates

Hi GuysNow (i believe) the frame rate issues have been resolved with the latest version, could someone please give me an objective comparism of their 757's VC frame rates compared with say, PMDG's 737NG and/or LDS's 767.Many thanks for your assistanceGaryMod: Title changed

>Hi Guys>>Now (i believe) the frame rate issues have been resolved with>the latest version, could someone please give me an objective>comparism of their 757's VC frame rates compared with say,>PMDG's 737NG and/or LDS's 767.>>Many thanks for your assistance>>Gary>>>>>>Better frame rates as with the LDS 767 or PMDG :-)Between 21 till 24 (locked 24 fps) in the VC :-)Change my VC textures to DXT3 faster loading times and no difference in quality :-) with refresh rate set to 6 in the setup util ;-)Andr

André

Hi all!i get still horibel frameslike in a slightshow outsideview as well!Can anybody who says they have good framestell me the Version Number from the 757 gauge file ?? cheerspmpilot

Guest NormanB

Comparisons guys!Lets keep it to frame rates achieved rather than direct comparisons please.

Guest Knikolaes

Convert to DXT3. I am running a next to non-existant POS graphics card and changing those textures did wonders.before someone comes at me with "why should I change my own textures? PSS should do that!" -- no -- they don't. Bear in mind I admitted that I have a POS graphics card -- meaning it isn't capable of -- well -- much of anything until i can replace the expensive one I fried (I need 600 dollars to get a halfway decent graphics card).When i get my new card, I may keep DXT3, though, because as with the above response, load times are MUCH faster and the quality is still the same.Don't forget, if you convert to DXT3, Turn "save mip maps" to OFF.Since converting to DXT3 -- even with my POS graphics card -- I am able to keep the gauge refresh rate maxed at the "18" setting on all sliders.

Hi Chris,I have been trying to convert to DXT3 using DXTBMP.exe but for some reason when I save in DXT3, the resultant dfile size is significantly greater than the original! [i have mipmaps off].Any idea what I moght be doing wrong??John Rooum

Guest Knikolaes

Greater? Uhm . . . well I have to get out the dor to flight school, but when i get back in about 5 hours I will look at the possible file version saves and see what could be amiss here.

Thanks Chris [sorry to bother you at school!]Actually I have found that it is only the 2D panel .bmp that increase in size when I save in DXT3 [and this happens even with the stock FS9 aircraft panels]. On the other hand saving external texture bmp works fine - size reduced to 25%.Something seems to be changed in the panel files when I originally load them into DXTBMP.exe.Odd but I'll keep digging.John

ChrisOr is it the fact that all model texture files are "square" whilst panel bmp files are invariably "rectangular" - I have one programme that specifically states that it will only convert square files?John

ChrisOr is it that all model texture files are "square" whilst panel.bmp files are invariably rectangular - I have one conversion programme which specifically states that it can only convert square bmp? Or is there something inherently different between panel texture files and model texture files?John

Guest Knikolaes

Aye, I converted everything in mine to DXT3 with the mips off. I did, however, leave the two files that said something about "modify me" or something like that (one was the aproach plate chart) alone so I could edit them to my liking. They are so small anyway, though, that after converting everything else the performance increase was, quite frankly, very stunning. Now I can fly into KDEN with megaCity Denver (KDEN is the Imaginesim version) and 100% AI and no FPS issues at all. Only issue left is the suicidal AI leapfrogging me on the ILS . . . crazy United pilots **sighs**

Guest Knikolaes

I don't know, John. Good question, though I officially converted all textures on a few of my variants (exterior textures) as well as all textures in the PSS common folder (except the "modify me" ones - I forget their names) successfully. From the reply above, looks like he only had issues with 1 file -- fortunately though 1 file left should be okay considering the excessive file sizedifference in the sim from having the others converted :-)BTW - what was the file name of the file that was actually getting larger with the DXT3 conversion?<> NM I missed it when reading. I see it was the 2D panel BMP. be aware I only use the VC, so I never touched any of the 2D textures at all. I only converted exterior textures and the VC textures. This helped a LOT, so good to stick with just that. I have found a lot of times negative results when messing with 2D textures. I hope this helps some :-)

ChrisHope that you had a good day a flight school - I guess I was overdoing things by going for the 2D panel as well [we live and learn].Many thanks for your help.I'll try just the model and VC textures just to see - so far I have had no fps problems with the latest release but would be interested if I can get the fps even better.John Rooum

Guest Knikolaes

Michael -- one solution is described above.john - no problem. I think you'll find that just doing the VC and exterior textures of the liveries of your choice will help a lot :-)Chris

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.