Sign in to follow this  
opherben

First B757 Impression

Hello,I surprised myself and purchased the 757, here is my first impression:a. The purchase, download and installation went as it should without event, a little slow but understandable.b. I flew a one hour flight uneventfully. Initially I did not see the weather radar self-test symbology so I turned on rough weather.b. Pitch trim works way too fast.c. I did not receive any ILS signal (LGRP Rodos rwy 25) but that could be a non-PSS issue, to be looked at.d. With my 15" screen I found amber and ND annunciations a little small and fuzzy, The 777 on the same monitor is fine.In summary: good aircraft, no real problems, frame rate not an issue on my very-mediocre 2 year old machine, waiting for the two utilities and airline textures. I urge PSS however to consider at some stage, to further detail product features, mainly system simulation and interrelation, to elevate the product level.Cheers!!

Hi,a few points from second flight, to help users and PSS:a. As seen by others, the FMC gets stuck during insertion of manual data such as interim waypoints where it has to look-up alternate coordinates. Closing and reopening the CDU resolves it and the next screen is properly displayed.b. ILS radio stations (e.g. EGLL's IRR and ILL) although in DB for navigation are not recognized for use as waypoint references (e.g. IRR092/10).c. ILS receivers do not auto-receive designated stations although correctly selected and displayed on CDU Nav radio page. Found no ILS tuning instructions in manual. d. On visual approach with the runway selected in FMC, it navigated 1NM off the programmed centerline, ND showing the aircraft being on course.e. A severe case of frame rate drop (to 5) was immediately resolved by terminating dumprep.exe processes which somehow cropped up.f. No.1 RR engine exhibits vibration level in excess of the expected for a newly delivered engine.

>>No.1 RR engine exhibits vibration level in excess of the expected for a newly delivered engine.You did remove all the bubblewrap on the walkround???

At British Airways, the ground crew takes care of that, in our case the Arlanda Ground Crew, and our first officer does the walk around check. Apparently we landed at Heathrow uneventfully, so I guess his check was good.

Guest pylon101

In general it is outstanding product - which is made by PSS standards. High standards.Its ability to land in autoland mode - reliably and "no matter what" - is just great. It related to previous products and does to 757.I am sure small mistakes will be coreected soon.So far my biggest disappointment is that FMS and computer system in general still don't provide data for high altitude airports. Which means that in Quito it gives Vr 147 kts and 138 kts for landing in Bogota - as much as for see level Amsterdam.I really hoped this will be simulated in this model.

I have not checked the specifics, but:1. Why should aircraft indicated airspeed for takeoff and landing be affected by altitude? It is essentially a function of stall airspeed, which (except for Reynolds Number, or viscosity) remains constant.2. It is conceivable that some major airports are located above the B757 maximum takeoff altitude.Edit: They both are above the limit altitude according to the PSS manual.>In general it is outstanding product - which is made by PSS>standards. High standards.>>Its ability to land in autoland mode - reliably and "no matter>what" - is just great. It related to previous products and>does to 757.>>I am sure small mistakes will be coreected soon.>>So far my biggest disappointment is that FMS and computer>system in general still don't provide data for high altitude>airports. Which means that in Quito it gives Vr 147 kts and>138 kts for landing in Bogota - as much as for see level>Amsterdam.>>I really hoped this will be simulated in this model.

Guest pylon101

Hm, great idea: IAS remains constant - ground speed increases.Jeez, some simple ideas are so hard to reach!Boeing 757-200 is a basic aircraft for all American airlines flying to the high altitude capitals in South America: La Paz, Quito, Bogota. Check on schedule.Thanks for the hint!!!NickMoscowRussia

Some operators may have incorporated technical changes (e.g. winglets, increased thrust) to extend the operating flight envelope. Operational techniques such as reduced takeoff gross weight traded-off for increased runway altitude could also be used, but require manufacturer and FAA approval. A Sud Aviation Allouette II helicopter attained 42,000 feet for the helicopter altitude world record. Obviously, the pilot was flying with oxygen inside a pressure suite, none of which were integral parts of the original design and certification.>Boeing 757-200 is a basic aircraft for all American airlines>flying to the high altitude capitals in South America: La Paz,>Quito, Bogota. Check on schedule.

Just noticed that the manual, Charts section page 11 depicts a landing weight of nearly 490,000 lb, which is erroneous.

Guest thedoggg

Any idea what these "dumprep.exe" processes are for and could they be the cause of the frame rate problems experienced by some? Did everything function normally after you terminated the process(s)? If PSS support is reading this any ideas?P.S. Any chance the engine may fall off due to the exessive vibration?Regards, Carlos

Hi,A note for the manuals:The certified service ceiling for all B757 variants is 42,000 feet and not 37,000 feet.

My aircraft v.1.1 is generally functioning properly. During its 3rd flight, a series of points was manually entered into the legs page and executed during flight (EGLL Rwy27R/L initial approach procedure from BIG). While editing speed and altitude for such manually inserted point (180/3000) the FMC froze FS9, requiring process termination. This repeated itself a second time after FS9 restart.

To me it appears like a Windows process to terminate running program/s. After killing all those, FS9/ PSS 757 regained 20+/24 frames pers second. An engine should be retarded to idle RPM inflight if it exceeds prescribed vibration levels or any other important parameter, to avoid destroying it or the aircraft. One scenario definitely being engine separation.>Any idea what these "dumprep.exe" processes are for and could>they be the cause of the frame rate problems experienced by>some? Did everything function normally after you terminated>the process(s)? If PSS support is reading this any ideas?>>P.S. Any chance the engine may fall off due to the exessive>vibration?>>Regards, Carlos>>

Hello,1. I'd appreciate a sign from PSS that the invaluable information I am compiling here is being noted.2. Today I had to make a 270 degree continuous right taxi turn, below 10Kt ground speed, on level ramp, 215,000 GW with a B752PW freighter. after a few seconds, while rudder control indicated steady and full right rudder input, and nose wheel in match, the turn stopped, aircraft taxied straight for 2 seconds, then made a maximum left turn and remained that way without any change to rudder control. This repeated itself, causing difficulty in getting to the runway. Now cruising to EGSS, if this does not repeat itself after landing, I will report it here.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.