Sign in to follow this  
virtualstuff

FS9 Crash During Flight: Possible Memory Leak?

I am more convinced it is an AIRAC problem now. I flew the 757 from KSAN to KSFO tonight, both FlyTampa airports, with no problem. I noticed that the info for KSFO was wrong, showing the wrong frequency for my landing rwy of 28R. I had to manually enter the correct one, as the one listed in the CPU was wrong. I am strongly suspecting that in my flight above, something is wrong with the ELMAA intersection that is causing the CTD. Can someone fly the route I listed above and see if they get the same thing? Providing you have NavData AIRAC 7-05 and FlyTampa KSEA, so we are comparing apples to apples. I don't think it is the FlyTampa scenery, or their other two would cause similar problems, and they are not. Also, ELMAA is a distance from KSEA, so the airports impact should be minimized by then.

Greg Goodavish

OK, did some further testing to test my theory. If it truly is a Navdata problem with the PSS data, the same result should happen with other PSS products flying that same route, right? I flew (tried) from KSEA to KSFO with the same route listed in my previous post, with the PSS 777. Same result. When I got near to ELMAA, a CTD. Seems my theory might be correct. Any chance PSS can work with NavData to look into this? Thanks.

Greg Goodavish

Guest Ruahrc

Interesting theory, Greg. I have long ago given up on the PSS757 as unusable due to the memory problems (and the "upcoming" v1.3 patch) and do recall that I upgraded the NavData with the stuff from Navigraph too.A few things I observed, however:Crashing (OOM) for me seemed to depend more on flight length than navigation. I could make it to St. Louis from SEA but not further on to DFW. My attempts at SEA-DTW also failed. I did, however, manage to complete the SEA-DTW flight in the older PSS A320 with no problems. To the best of my knowledge, all PSS products (even the older Airbus ones) use the same Navdata files. Can PSS confirm this?Have you tried flying a flight of similar length to SEA-SFO but in a different direction? Maybe SEA-DEN or SEA-YEG or something. That would try to address whether or not it is a navdata issue specific to the ELMAA wpt?P.S.- does your sim crash exactly at the same point every time, or just when in the general vicinity of ELMAA? I have noticed that whenever I had OOM- it was not ever at a specific point, but instead it was always around a general area. Disabling all scenery in this area did not seem to help, either.Ruahrc

Hello,I doubt any one from PSS will revert to you with something consistent, cause it is gauge programming, and apart from Alex who coded the gauge I am not sure any one else knows the code...But, I will fly the given route not later than today, and will let you know if I got the CTD at ELMAACyrille de LattreAsus P5B deluxe WIFI Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Ghz/2 Giga DDRAM2 PC667Nvidia 7600 GT 256 Meg PCIeWin XP SP2 / FS9.1 PSS Beta tester

>Interesting theory, Greg. I have long ago given up on the>PSS757 as unusable due to the memory problems (and the>"upcoming" v1.3 patch) and do recall that I upgraded the>NavData with the stuff from Navigraph too.>>A few things I observed, however:>>Crashing (OOM) for me seemed to depend more on flight length>than navigation. I could make it to St. Louis from SEA but>not further on to DFW. My attempts at SEA-DTW also failed. I>did, however, manage to complete the SEA-DTW flight in the>older PSS A320 with no problems. To the best of my knowledge,>all PSS products (even the older Airbus ones) use the same>Navdata files. Can PSS confirm this?>>Have you tried flying a flight of similar length to SEA-SFO>but in a different direction? Maybe SEA-DEN or SEA-YEG or>something. That would try to address whether or not it is a>navdata issue specific to the ELMAA wpt?>>P.S.- does your sim crash exactly at the same point every>time, or just when in the general vicinity of ELMAA? I have>noticed that whenever I had OOM- it was not ever at a specific>point, but instead it was always around a general area. >Disabling all scenery in this area did not seem to help,>either.>>RuahrcRuahrc,It crashes in the general vicinity of ELMAA, not at the same point every time. Generally within 10-20 mi of ELMAA, mostly before, but once after I passed ELMAA.

Greg Goodavish

Hello,I have just flown the leg, and actualy I am stil flying it online, and till now, no CTD at or around ELMAA.Latest AIRAC installe, 757, UT and tons of scenery, and flying in VCCyrille de LattreAsus P5B deluxe WIFI Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Ghz/2 Giga DDRAM2 PC667Nvidia 7600 GT 256 Meg PCIeWin XP SP2 / FS9.1 PSS Beta tester

Hmmmm, there goes my theory. Don't know what else can be causing it, as my computer performance is fine while using it, even approaching ELMAA.

Greg Goodavish

I flew several flights with the PSS 757 over the weekend, with no problem. It seems the only problem I have is around KSEA for some reason. It must somehow be related to FlyTampa KSEA scenery, but no idea what it is, as the CTD doesn't occur until ELMAA, which is at least 20-30 mi from KSEA. Guess I will just avoid that airport with this bird. Anyone else that has FlyTampa KSEA able to fly this bird there, especially around the intersection ELMAA?

Greg Goodavish

Yes , yes,...Cyrille de LattreAsus P5B deluxe WIFI Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Ghz/2 Giga DDRAM2 PC667Nvidia 7600 GT 256 Meg PCIeWin XP SP2 / FS9.1 PSS Beta tester

I just did the same flight with the Wilco CRJ, and got the same CTD by ELMAA. It is not the PSS products doing this. Will investigate elsewhere. Thanks for the input, guys.

Greg Goodavish

Guest Chris Smith

Hello everyone,Can someone from PSS please advise if this is an actual bug/problem, because - for me - the aircraft is unflyable. The last flight I attempted with the PSS 757 was from Atlanta to Boston and I received a crash to desktop about 5 miles out on the ILS for runway 4R. I run Flight Simulator 9 in full screen and it seems that this aircraft is quite taxing on the system. Whenever I switch between full screen and my desktop the system seems very bogged down, which I find to be uncommon with my other payware add-ons. I fly the PSS 757 without a VC and with flightsimulator 9. The 757 just seems to make my system stutter unlike other popular aircraft in my payware fleet (I will refrain from mentioning certain brand names). I hope this can be resolved because I am beginning to loose confidence in the PSS brand as a whole. It seems like this is a substantial problem that is receiving very little attention. Thanks & best of luck fixing this problem!Chris SmithCompuer Specs:Dell Dimension 83000Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz Processor Speed: 2.73 GHz Memory (RAM): 1024 MB Graphics: ATI RADEON 9800 XT (512MB)

Guys,STOP BLAMING PSS NOW!!!!!!Phil Taylor at MS Aces has finally acknowledged this is an FS problem NOT a problem with an individual A/C which some of us have been saying for quite some time. FS is just too bloated.Neither FS9 nor FSX were written to stay within the 2gb memory limits of XP and Vista. Please read the post below that is now in the FS9/FSX/PMDG forums as Phil basically told us they know about it and don't intend on changing it.Well this is just my opinion and please let me begin by thanking Phil and the team for finally giving us the definitive answer we need which is that neither FS9 or FSX can KEEP themselves under the 2g limit which triggers an OOM error. Phil's presence in the forums adds an air of credibility to our hypothesis and some of us have been saying for quite some time it is not an A/C or a scenery but just that we have exceeded the limits of the app. It does not bode well for add-ons in FSX that people are exceeding the 2g limit with default fsx though. It took us years and hundreds of add-ons to get to this point in FS9. We are getting it vanilla with FSX.In fact if either sim wants more than the O/S can give they will ask for it and we will get an OOM and our simming experience is over.Some of us have been fighting this issue for YEARS!!! We thought it was our setup, navdata, LC files, terrain.cfg files, if you name it someone tried it to fix the OOM errors. Now we come to find after all these years that it really is the same issue that effects MS Exchange and requires the /3gb switch on an exchange server. The only difference is that Exchange servers are not running high end video cards that are not compatible with the /3g switch in the first place.So, yes, MS wrote two sims that just like their Exchange Server can not even stay within the limitations of the O/S they run on. Phil has also said they will not modify either version of FS to stay within the limits of the O/S. In fact what we are being told is to apply the /3GB switch to XP Pro and Vista to eliminate the issue. Well anyone running high memory video cards can not do this. It does not leave enough memory for the O/S and the card and you start losing things like AA/AF. Maybe this is the DX bug Phil is speaking about but I doubt it.So I was just wondering what your thoughts were now that years of fighting the OOM comes down to an app written to be able to exceed the memory allocated to it by its own O/S and that MS is not going to fix but instead recommend a tweak that is not even viable for most...I know I am more than a little disturbed and disappointed but wanted to get others opinions.-PaulPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E6600 @3.2 gigsAsus P5N32SLI-Plus2 gigs Corsair XMS PC6400 4 4 4 12 @810Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest Chris Smith

That stinks, but finally an answer

Guest Chris Smith

Hi,So far I like the 757 a lot - PSS has certainly done a great job with this aircraft.Today, on my flight from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh, while starting my descent, my flightsim crashed and I received a popup from windows stating that "Windows- Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low"In my windows settings I have a "custom" page filing selected and my intial size is 1536 and maximum set at 3072. Flight Simulator must have exceeded 3072, which leads me to ask whether or not the PSS 757 has a memory leak.Has anyone else experienced a similiar problem?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/155390.jpg

>In fact>what we are being told is to apply the /3GB switch to XP Pro>and Vista to eliminate the issue. Well anyone running high>memory video cards can not do this. It does not leave enough>memory for the O/S and the card and you start losing things>like AA/AF. Maybe this is the DX bug Phil is speaking about>but I doubt it.>>So I was just wondering what your thoughts were now that years>of fighting the OOM comes down to an app written to be able to>exceed the memory allocated to it by its own O/S and that MS>is not going to fix but instead recommend a tweak that is not>even viable for most...>Hello Paul! I've been following your posts regarding this battle against the infamous OOM. Infortunately I also have this error with several add-ons, like PSS777, PMDG744, etc. I was optimistic about the 'AIRAC match with .bgl name' theory, but unfortunately I'm still having the problem. :(I dont understand your statement:>what we are being told is to apply the /3GB switch to XP Pro>and Vista to eliminate the issue. Are you saying that is needed at least 3GB of RAM to solve this issue?Thanks in advance and best regards!;-) By the way, my system:ASUS P5WD2 premiumP4 650 3.4GHz@4GHz (liquid cooled)2GB RAM OCZ 800MHz XFX GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

Pedro Lima
"The sky is the home of birds... we are just guests... guests of honor" Peter Besenyei
"...redundancy is very important in aviation; that is why airplanes have 2 wings instead of 1!" M.S.A.Q.
My videos

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.