Sign in to follow this  
Guest Clipper

Some issues

Guest Clipper

Hi guys!I've spent around 5 hrs flying now in the 757 and here is some comments:First of all, the panel looks great. And many of the functions is very smart, like the SET and DOOR functions.I'm running a very modest computer, AMD Athlon 1700+, 1.4 Ghz processor, 1024 Mb RAM and a AGP videocard (ATI Radeon) with 256 Mb memory and my framerates are ok. Even a little bit better than what I get with Level D:s 767. Usually I get something between 14-18. But when I'm looking at the plane from outside the textures takes very long time to load and when in cockpitview trying to look right or left the scenery outside is loading very, very slowly. Apart from that I'm very pleased with the framerates and performance.BUT, there is things that not seems correct:In VNAV after T/O the aircraft seems to be to sensitive or powerfull. Climbs of around 4000-6000 fpm is not very realistic. This behaviour normally stops after 10000 when the speed restriction of 250 kts no longer is valid.Is the Autobrake working or just a dummie? Even with MAX breaking it's not possible to slow the bird down on a 10000 feet long runway (using autoland with a Vref of 140).During enginestart the parkingbrake can't hold her with one engine running. The A/C starts to move.Things that I think is not so good:The warningsound for A/T- and A/P disconnect is far to loud. No more nightflights for me or I have to find a new roommate :-)(Trying to adjust the volume in the SET-menu didn't help)The altitude callouts is sometimes very loud and sometimes hardly hearable. Finally:Where is the "MINIMUMS" ????? Have you forget the Alt Alert Warning horn ??????? How do I move the speedbugs ?????The last three items is probably not implemented and I must say I can really not understand why? This is just minor things but meaning a lot for the realism.Johnny

>Hi guys!>>I've spent around 5 hrs flying now in the 757 and here is some>comments:>>First of all, the panel looks great. And many of the functions>is very smart, like the SET and DOOR functions.>>I'm running a very modest computer, AMD Athlon 1700+, 1.4 Ghz>processor, 1024 Mb RAM and a AGP videocard (ATI Radeon) with>256 Mb memory and my framerates are ok. Even a little bit>better than what I get with Level D:s 767. Usually I get>something between 14-18. But when I'm looking at the plane>from outside the textures takes very long time to load and>when in cockpitview trying to look right or left the scenery>outside is loading very, very slowly. Apart from that I'm very>pleased with the framerates and performance.>>BUT, there is things that not seems correct:>>In VNAV after T/O the aircraft seems to be to sensitive or>powerfull. Climbs of around 4000-6000 fpm is not very>realistic. This behaviour normally stops after 10000 when the>speed restriction of 250 kts no longer is valid.>>Is the Autobrake working or just a dummie? Even with MAX>breaking it's not possible to slow the bird down on a 10000>feet long runway (using autoland with a Vref of 140).>>During enginestart the parkingbrake can't hold her with one>engine running. The A/C starts to move.>>Things that I think is not so good:>>The warningsound for A/T- and A/P disconnect is far to loud.>No more nightflights for me or I have to find a new roommate>:-)>(Trying to adjust the volume in the SET-menu didn't help)>>The altitude callouts is sometimes very loud and sometimes>hardly hearable. >>Finally:>>Where is the "MINIMUMS" ????? >>Have you forget the Alt Alert Warning horn ??????? >>How do I move the speedbugs ?????>>The last three items is probably not implemented and I must>say I can really not understand why? This is just minor things>but meaning a lot for the realism.>>Johnny >> > >>>>>>Have solution for slow loading textures...I save my textures in DXT3 and loading is fast even in the VC :-)Speedbugs can be moved by the mouse...Andr

André

Yes, I converted the common textures to DXT3 format and saw a big improvement in speed of side views loading. They are in the common B757 folder (not at my home PC, so can't remember the name- where the panel and sounds are located).

Graeme Butler

Guest pavvyben

Ive also found a few bugs*It busts FL's (Altitude Constraints) quite often by nearly 1,000ft from what was in the mcp or set as a constraint. This usually occurs on takeoff, clb2 and still getting over 6,000ft per min climb rate which is excessive imo. *You can select LNAV, VNAV and Heading Hold all at once.*FMC still very sluggish at times, it seems to happen at random points, seen on pushback and during flight.*Is there 50,40 callouts not just 30,20,10?CheersBen

>BUT, there is things that not seems correct:>>In VNAV after T/O the aircraft seems to be to sensitive or>powerfull. Climbs of around 4000-6000 fpm is not very>realistic. This behaviour normally stops after 10000 when the>speed restriction of 250 kts no longer is valid.>Wanna bet? I have know a bunch of 757 pilots that I work with that siad the 57 climbs like this. Look at the power to weight ratio. The 757 has a higher power to weight ratio than any operational airliner and that includes the 777. 86,000 pounds of thrust for a 225-255,000 lb airplane. Thats 2.6-2.9 pounds per pound of thrust. Thats impressive. No wonder hwy ATC loves these birds!

Agreed...a thrust-to-weight ratio of 0.33 is very high for a transport category aircraft.That said, one should not be climbing out at 5-6K fpm just because one can...the steep deck angle is uncomfortable as he11. Use Vert speed mode at no more than ~3500 fpm when climbing and obstacle clearance is no longer a factor. My personal technique is to climb at 3000 fpm in vert speed mode until crossing 10,000 ft, then I engage VNAV and let the A/P do the accel and climbout in VNAV mode from that point. If you're light enough, though, you may need to stay in VNAV mode until the mid teens.The Air Force VC-32A variant of the 757 flies a lot of short legs with relatively light loads. It gets up and goes like a scalded dog, even with the thrust derated way back. The plane is a rocket, no two ways about it.CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest aaflyboy27

How does one convert the textures to DXT3?????Jeremy

Guest Chris Smith

Yeah, where are the altitude alert horns? You should receive some sort of noise when your 1,000 from a specified altitude.Also, I must say that the PSS sounds are very disappointing. I expected much more in that regard.Also, sometimes when I load the plane the other panels are behind the main panel, making it a pain to try to navigate.Chris Smith

Guest Knikolaes
http://fly.to/mwgfx/Download the freeware DXT-BMP program.BACK UP YOUR TEXTURESLoad them into the program, then save them as EXTENDED BMPS, select DXT3 and MAKE SURE MIP MAPS are NOT checked!!!!!You'll have a very happy computer then ;-)

Guest NormanB

>Also, sometimes when I load the plane the other panels are>behind the main panel, making it a pain to try to navigate.Chris,The search button is your friend.When you change to the 757 (or indeed a lot of complex addons) please ensure you are using a 2d view inside the aircraft before selecting the aircraft from the menu.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.