Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chris Smith

Takeoff Thrust Calculator?

Guest boxjockey99

I don't understand this, please clarify. What are airway charges? When a company flies IFR in Europe we are charged for using the nav aids and ATC services that we pass through rather like tolls on a motorway. A typical flight from the UK to Spain can cost in excess of

Guest boxjockey99

I'll have to see what I can get my paws on but I can't see it being a problem, just give me a little time! Kris

Guest Chris Smith

So Kris -Since this is flightsimulator, we really dont need to concern ourselves with calculating the weight for Airway Charges. Is this correct?Essentially, with calculating the assumed temparture, all we need are the charts and our takeoff weight?Best,Chris SmithCompuer Specs:Dell Dimension 83000Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz Processor Speed: 2.73 GHz Memory (RAM): 1024 MB Graphics: ATI RADEON 9800 XT (512MB)

Guest boxjockey99

ChrisNo you don't but I was asked why I did it in my real world calcs so I shared why and what purpose it served. In reality there are many things we must take into consideration my post covers just a few! In sim land look up the structural limit weight probably 113200kgs and use that as your limit weightKris

Guest Chris Smith

Also..Kris, you said: We now get our load sheet and see our actual TOM is 95000kgs so we know we are not exceeding our maximum! but how much can we derate the engines? Now here's where we have to make another correction. Because we have a negative factor working against us we must also use this against our actual TOM. so we add the QNH correction to the actual TOM (yes ADD). This effectively is saying we are 920kgs heavier than we actually are. ie we add 920 to the 95,000kgs giving us an assumed TOM of 95,920kgs: 95000 + 920 = assumed TOM 95920kgsMy question:If the QNH is greater than standard, would we subtract instead of add?Also, I would be intersted in knowing the settings for airports with other runway lengths. As the runway 10 is only 6500 feet in your example, im sure there is a difference when the runway is much longer than that. Also, doesn't the actual airport temperature come somewhere in this equation?And my newbie question of the day, what is TORA, TODA and ASDA.. I assume TODA is takeoff distance.Chris SmithCompuer Specs:Dell Dimension 83000Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz Processor Speed: 2.73 GHz Memory (RAM): 1024 MB Graphics: ATI RADEON 9800 XT (512MB)

>And my newbie question of the day, what is TORA, TODA and>ASDA.. I assume TODA is takeoff distance.TORA - take-off run availableTODA - take-off distance availableASDA - accelerate stop distance available

Guest Jar172RG

On the other side of the coin some airlines, like United, just allow dispatch to figure it and the pilots get it either in the Planned Takeoff Data Message or from ACARS. United's 757/767-200 and -300 flight manual I have, dad flew both for a time, has all the speed charts and other performance stuff, but not runway lenegth vs temp charts as Kris's company does, would be interested in having general charts simular to the charts the well known 767 developers made.

Guest boxjockey99

ChrisIf the QNH is greater than standard, would we subtract instead of add?When considering the weight for any assumed temp we only ever add and NEVER take credit. Penalties include Engine Anti-ice on for T/O, low QNH or MEL items that require performance penalties. Also, I would be intersted in knowing the settings for airports with other runway lengths. As the runway 10 is only 6500 feet in your example, im sure there is a difference when the runway is much longer than that. I am working on that, I cannot get any e-data but I have some photocopies which I will take pics of and post ASAP with some examples for you guys to play with! Also, doesn't the actual airport temperature come somewhere in this equation?This is taken care of when we are looking for the maximum weight we can lift. We look up the actual temp and read off the datum weight and QNH correction. Once we've adjusted for the QNH and any other penalties or credits we get the Regulated TOM for the curent weather conditions including pressure, temp and wind! I think the ASDA, TORA etc query has been answered already.Bear with me and I'll try to make a real world example available ASAPKris

Guest Chris Smith

Kris, you rock!

Guest boxjockey99

GuysHere's a link which should take you to thr file I have just written. it is a word doc walking you through a perf calc and then an exercise for you to try. If I get any posts back with the answers I'll post the solution. just copy and paste the link to your browser (all of it) and hopefully you should get the file! if not PM me with your e-mail and I'll send it manuallyhttp://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...6FAED2A76D6BC50all the bestKris

Guest Chris Smith

Nice!I get it. Now I just need these charts for various runway lengths and I will be all set. Do you have some for different runway lenghts?I guess I would appreciate:7000 foot runway8000 foot9000 foot10000 foot11000 footand 120000 footThanks Kris.

Guest boxjockey99

Chris Unfortunately that wouldn't help you as every airfield is different for example 10000ft at Malaga runway 31 is more limiting that 10000ft at Alicante becuase it has a whopping big hill at the end of it! Other airfields are higher (like Madrid) other lower and all have different slopes etc. That is why we always have a specific page for each airfield and that would take an awful lot of posting! I don't have an e-copy of the QRH but that has all the info in for working it all out. I'll see what I can find!Kris

Guest Chris Smith

Thanks Kris,PSS says that they have had real 757 pilots help with the design of the aircraft. Is there any chance that they have tables on takeoff performance w/ assumed temperatures (wink wink - Norm).Best,Chris

I appreciate that each airfield has different charts because of airfield elevatiosn, slopes, local limiting conditions etc., but as MSFS is far from a truly "realistic" simulation, I find a set of generic charts do the job.OK, one 10,000ft runway may have different figures thatn another one, but for FS purposes either tend to do. Just gives a better idea than no charts at all!Thanks for any info that can be provided.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.