Sign in to follow this  
Guest trulsismann

777 Rivet lines

Guest trulsismann

How can i remove the rivet lines on the 777 completely? i think they're too thick and as i read, photoshop can't make them any smaller. But is there a way of removing them completely?Truls JohnsenENGM

Guest trulsismann

But are they THAT thick and big?

Guest NormanB

Truls,One word.Photoshop.

Guest trulsismann

But how?i've never done a repaint..Truls

Guest Knikolaes

I do not know about anyone else here (there are many different techniques depending on the artist), but i have found that smudge tool will get em out just fine by "blending" the surrounding colors.Also, if you want to be precise and cover EVERY rivit, then use the eye dropper tool, take from a nearby pixel so as to match the fuselage shade by the rivit (or wing or whatever you may be working on) and then dab that color onto the rivit with the brush tool :-)Hope that helps. I use similar ways on Paint Shop Pro 9 and photoshop CS-2 and CS-3Chris

Guest trulsismann

Ok i do what you described, save the file, open FS9, and, the whole fuselage is GREY. Do i have to do somthing more than just editing the flie?TrulsENGM

Guest Knikolaes

yes. You cannot save it in a usable format with any paint program. You have to have the freeware DXT-BMP program (google brings it right up) and use that to open the file you edited, then save it in one of two ways.If you want to kill your framerates with no higher quality, save it as the extended 32 bit 888-8. But if you'd like the same quality, but much easier on framerates, save it as DXT3, making sure that the box on the right side under MipMaps that says "include while saving" is NOT checked. If you have this box checked - your DXT3's will actually be worse on frames than 32 bit.Hope that helps.OH -- and make sure you are not editing the size at all in diminsions. Such as, if the original you started with is 1024x1024, then the file MUST end up as 1024x1024 in the end or it will not work. Your format will effect the filesize, but should not effect these diminsions, but in the paint program it is always possible to somehow mess this part up.For an example: The file PSS-B752FMain_t (no matter what livery you use) is 1024x1024. Saved in 32 bit the filesize is 4.00 MB. However in DXT3 it is only 1.00 MB - 1/4 the size of the original file. This may not seem like much, but multiply that by the number of textures on a single aircraft model (including VC) and you'll see the huge difference it has on your graphics card, memory and processor :-)

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.