Sign in to follow this  
Wolfgang Lang

Repaint question

HiI am trying my 1st repaint. I am using Photoshop CS.After modifying to save the files as 1024x1024 in bmp is clear. But how can I manage to get the Master.psd with the right and left body into a 1024 file format with the cutten bodies?

Cheers
Wolfgang

1hxz6d.png

Guest brianlr

HiI have just completed a paint job for a fictitious Royal Australian Air Force 757 and noted in the paint kit that there are no suitable blank files in which to paste the new liveries. (Usually these are included by most paint kit suppliers).I loaded some texture files from another livery set, and pasted my new files over the top of them. Getting them in the right place is managed by the following steps:i. make your new layer semi transparent so you can see both the underlying textures and your ownii. move your own textures around until some common part of the textures (eg a door) line up perfectlyiii. cut any overlapping part of your own texture away so that you do not obscure any required part of the original texture for your next stepiv. make your livery opaque again to hide the original texturev. repeat this step so that each part of the aircraft is placed in the correct placevi. merge visible layers and save as .bmp(in the correct folder of course so as not to overwrite original textures) I then converted my textures into DXT3 files so they became just 1mb instead of 4mb for faster loading without any really obvious loss of quality.Have fun!BrianPS this is a work in progress but you can see what I have done with my livery ...

Guest NormanB

Brian,Did you not see the master photoshop files?These allow you to go right down to a clean aircraft - even deciding if you want the dirt on or not.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/156006.jpgThese master PSD files are included, one per model and open fine in Photoshop as seen above.

Guest brianlr

Hi NormanYes I saw those files and used them to create my livery ... they are great.I did not make myself clear. What I meant was that there were no templates for the Main_t or Vstab_t files into which I could past my textures. I used copies of those files from other liveries to make my texture files after producing the master .psd file.Regards,Brian

Hi BrianThanks for your answer. How to paint is clear.But how do I get the painted template into that format,where the fuselage of the acft is 6 pieces, and not 2 as in the template?

Cheers
Wolfgang

1hxz6d.png

Guest brianlr

Hi WolfgangI just completed an Australian VIP RAAF 757-200R - I used some texture files from another livery and over-laid my own textures, making them semi-transparent to line them up with common features such as doors, then making them opaque again to hide the older texture. Complicated, but it worked. Here is the result (in the attachment).Regards,Brian

Dear Brian,Thanks for such a good explanation of the process.I paint the liveries of our company's aircraft for FS2004 (http://www.catalonian-airlines.net/flota_fs2004.html) some of which are PSS products.For PSS Airbus Pro Series and A340, there were easy instructions to follow so that the repaint process could be done in a rather simple way and subsequent paint work to refine the final livery could be done rather rapidly.In this case and in my opinion, the paintkit and template are better that those for the Airbus but the user (in this case, the painter) should need some instructions mostly concerning the way to split the body template in one or more files that later would make the livery visible in FS2004.I hope that for this wonderful aircraft (the best of all released, in my opinion) PSS will soon provide us with a "paintkit instruction file" as did before for other models so our paint process will become easier than it is now.Cheers,Llu

Lluís del Cerro
VATSIM Senior Instructor

Catalonian Airlines

vatsim_5000h.png

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.