Sign in to follow this  
greg100o

T777 cannot manage speed restrictions after takeoff

I remain mystified by this. I am manually flying the airplane using autothrottle. Before take off I set a speed say 220 knots [not in the fmc, but the airspeed window], flight director on, autothrottles armed, select TOGA, airplane takes off, and ocntinues to accelerate to overspeed no matter what I do. The autothrottles remain locked in TOGA.With the Airbus one sets a transition altitude where the throttles cut back to allow speed control after reachkng a safe height. How does one accomplish this with the T777 short of programming it into the fmc. If ATC issues a speed control shortly after takeoff one needs to honor it.Thanks,Greg

Greg Clark

That is normal, once you have reached your targeted speed, you have to engage either the speed mode or the flight level change, other wise your engines will still deliver the TOGA power.Cyrille de LattreAsus P4P800/PIV 3 Ghz/2 Giga DDRAMATI X800 GT 256 MegWin XP SP2 / FS9.1 PSS Beta tester

Ok, thanks. How does one engage the speed mode then? I seem to be missing how exactly to do it.Greg

Greg Clark

Guest matsuman

Greg,Make sure to hit EXEC button on the CDU everytime you change your figures on your take-off performance.Make sure that ZFW is correct, input the COG %, flaps number is plug in, 250/10000 restriction is set and hit EXEC.Make sure the mcp showing, VNAV and LNAV selected. On the MCP, make sure speed is 250, auto-throttle is on,runway heading set and 10,000 altitude. On take off roll wheels up, engage AP at about 500 or 1,000 ft. The VNAV-LNAV will take over based on your FMC input for the vertical and lateral profiles. Follow the FLAP speed command from the PFD.Your 250 speed should stop before the FLAP UP (depends on your take-off weight). Thanks,Kin M.(Klax)

Guest adameke777

after t/o, hit the IAS knob on the MCP and dial the spd you want manually

I have the same problem. I tried it again last night and will continue exploring this further tonight. What is happening is this: once you hit TOGA, it locks itself to max power, ignoring any FMC setting for derated power, CLB1 or CLB2 and it keeps going overspeeding in the process. this makes for very interesting takeoffs, it's like launcing the space shuttle with its rate of climb...well, almost. I tried using CLB/CON button but this one doesn't seem to do anything. I read in the manual that it supposed to be used when VNAV is not used. Well, I haven't been able to use this function as of yet. I'll watch some 777 videos and see what I can find out about this...to be honest, I am not sure if we're doing something wrong or it's a bug. any input suggestions and tips are welcome,Michel.

Guest adameke777

Jim, I think their problem is they want to fly it like an Airbus, quote from the initial post : "With the Airbus ... ":-hah

Guest Knikolaes

yeah, Boeings are so much better than Airbuses. Pilots actually fly the Boeings :-) To pilot an Airbus you must instead be a systems administrator.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.