Sign in to follow this  
Guest bgahan

757 Way Too Fast

Guest Knikolaes

Uhm . . . . . excuse me while I go do some of that in the Sim :-)Hee hee

Guest thedoggg

Yes, I posted that same video on another thread. A lot of people don't realize the climb rates that can be achieved by a lightly loaded airliner.Regards, Carlos

Guest thedoggg

I can't remember what site I downloaded it from but I have the file. If you can't find it e-mail me at chaconc@bellsouth.net and I will send it to you.Regards, Carlos

Guest PowderBlue

People often mistake pasenger aircraft as numb and dumb because all they witness is the actual flight when they ride in one. They are designed for performance and are no different then any other aircraft. They are all capable of things that will never be realized by pasengers because airlines don't want there pasengers puking everywhere and it is not efficient.

Guest Chris Smith

This is why I posted a question to PSS about getting us information (specifically charts) concerning to what extent we should de-rate takeoff thrust based on load and runway length.That way you dont go in orbit on each departure.Best,Chris

Let me elaborate on passenger aircraft performance, what kind of performance they have and how they get it. The performance relies on a few key factors: power plant, aerodynamic and structure technologies. Power plant technology defines attainable thrust, fuel consumption, and maintainability. Aerodynamic design defines airflow characteristics, specifically lift to drag ratio, with focus on fast cruise. Structure knowhow determines empty aircraft weight. Aircraft weight appears in the denominator of relevant aerodynamic equations.Aircraft designers on one side, and major carriers on the other, define foreseen market needs, for the various categories of air transport, for example- is there an economically justified need for Sydney to London and similar routes carrying 850 passengers plus 50 tons of freight. Thousands of design iterations are run on supercomputer to forsee what the market would best utilize 30 years on- 5 years for maturing the technology and designing the aircraft and 25 for its lifecycle. Once a design is selected, the engine manufacturers utilize their technology and taylor it to mission design in terms of thrust, diameter and maintainability. The Boeing 747, 767 and 777 drove such new engine designs. Along the lifecycle of an engine, it is uprated and improved based on experience and tweaks, around 20% thrust could be added that way. An aircraft design includes cruise altitude and Mach No., and payload range performance. A transport aircraft cruising above and clear of most other traffic at FL460 (I flew there in a B767-100 over the US), would be able to file shorter routes and get more ATC directs during cruise. Cruise performance, coupled with mission weight and drag define the thrust required. This is how and why your rocket is conceived in general terms. Not for high speed pull-ups at airshows.p.s. Having worked in aircraft design a liftime, I wanted to also say that in earlier days, aircraft design was in the hands not of a few thousand engineers but rather of single aircraft designers, like Howard Hughes. These were geniuses who could beat any supercomputer in the ability to put quickly together a winner. They no longer exist if I am correct, simply an extinguished breed. The last one I spent time with is Harry Hillaker, father of the F-16. >People often mistake pasenger aircraft as numb and dumb>because all they witness is the actual flight when they ride>in one. They are designed for performance and are no different>then any other aircraft. They are all capable of things that>will never be realized by pasengers because airlines don't>want there pasengers puking everywhere and it is not>efficient.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.