Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

Autoland

how many of you do a full autoland in the PSS777 and how many of you manually fly from say 500'i feel that the pss777 is way to sensitive manually landing.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest NormanB

Clayton,I rarely autoland. I recall on one of the VATPAC long haul flights I flew into Melbourne hand flying even though it was a complete pea souper.

the reason i say this is because even a little nose up 5degree pitch up at 30' for flare makes the plane float, so i dont know what i am doing wrong.

Guest NormanB

Clayton,I assume you are flying it by the numbers? I'm sure you are but need to confirm.

Guest NormanB

Oh and care of the nice guys at World flight Australia, most of my flights are flown by hand between FL100 and the surface.Shameless plug time ;)www.worldflight.ozflight.com.au - raising money for the Royal Flying Doctors Service.

sorry, what do you mean flyin it by the numbersive dialed in the ils for the runway, this is what i doat 400' disenage the A/T (however A/T is still armed)my speed is Ref +5flaps 30at 60 feet i idle the throttle and simulatenously disengage the auto pilotat 30 feet i raise the nose to 5 deg pitch up - reference from F/Dhowever at this point it keeps floating and the plane starts increasing in altitude, very slowly,to stop this i do not raise the nose, just let it land, however its abit of a rough landing.

Guest NormanB

>my speed is Ref +5>>flaps 30Clayton,Thats what I mean by flying the numbers.

Hello Clayton,You are flaring a little too early and thus inducing the float. You are also closing the throttles waaay too early. Chop and Drop springs to mind :) Lastly I think you may be pitching up a bit too much.You should aim to flare at approx 20ft and pitch the nose up 1-2 degrees (from your current attitude). The autothrottle should close the throttles at 25ft, if the A/T is disengaged you should close the throttle at the same time as your flare.Michael

thanks Michaelbut i read somewhere 60 feet is where one should idle also if heavier to idle even higheryes you may be right in saying i pitch too high but i also got this information from reading sites regarding this, what do you mean when you say "The autothrottle should close the throttles at 25ft"for me the A/T is always armed till i disengage the A/P at approx 60'i also tried to disengage a/p at 500' but the plane is so sensitive that i find it extremely hard to keep it aligned on the runway for touchdown.

Hello Clayton,The information I posted is from the British Airways flight manual and talking to a type rated T7 pilot. Not sure if it differs to other operators however?If you leave the autothrottle in all the way down it will automatically retard the throttles at 25ft. If not you must do it yourself.If you flare high and pitch up drastically you will float a long way down the runway. Big jets are meant to be flown into the deck rather than pussy footing around smooth landings :D. Although with my technique above you should get the results your hoping for.

thanks i also got some additional information from Capt Lim on his website source http://www.askcaptainlim.com/blog/index.php?catid=14Prior to an auto landing procedure, the Captain would give his copilot a very thorough briefing from how many minutes he has left before he commences a diversion to the procedures on what action to take if a pilot suffers a heart attack prior to landing. So every emergency is covered and nothing is left unprepared.Assuming the Boeing 777 has now captured or locked onto the ILS at 2500 feet, the copilot would call out various stipulated heights to remind each other of the progress of the approach. The callouts would be at 2000, 1500, 1000, 500, 200 or (alert height) and decision height of 20 feet. The Captain must respond to all height checks and there are pre-planned actions, for instance when some responses are not forthcoming. If the Captain does not respond to a callout of the height-checks from 500 to 200 feet, the copilot would assume that his Captain has lost consciousness due to a heart attack or any incapacitation, then take over control and abort the landing. Why is it so? He is too close to the ground to find out! Ask questions later when he has safely aborted the landing! He is fully competent to do so because the copilot is checked every six month on this drill.The auto landing procedure is executed automatically but the Captain still have to intervene to reduce speeds as the flaps are selected from 0, 1, 5, 20 and then to 30. At any time an emergency crops up, each pilot knows what to do because they have been covered during the briefing. Below 200 feet above ground level, the computers would ignore non-critical emergencies because pilots should not be disturbed at this very crucial phase of the landing.At 50 feet, the autopilot flares the airplane, a term to describe how it would raise the nose slightly to prepare for a soft landing. The computer would call out aurally the heights every 10 feet and then at around 25 feet, the throttles are closed. At this point, the airplane should sit onto the runway gently and roll along the centerline until it comes to a complete stop by the auto brakes with the pilot aiding it further with reverse thrusts. You are now safely landed! If the Captain is unable to see the taxiway because the visibility has further reduced, he may request a 'Follow Me' vehicle to guide the pilot to its parking bay.Have a safe and pleasant auto-landed flight soon!""

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.