Sign in to follow this  
Cthulhus

S/C How does it work? (on the CDU)

Hello,I have some questions regarding the S/C (Step Climb) ...During the middle of the Cruiz altitude, I can read : T/C on the my EHSI and on the PROG CDU page : T/C nowI would like to know how does it work ?Should I change the ALT on my MCP (for exemple +4000)... but, nothing happen when I select T/C NOW on CDU...Should I need the change the FL ALT the the CDU VNAV Page ?If I do that, the "T/C NOW" will disapear...My question is : What does I must do that the plane changes behavior when I press the T/C button?? Thanks!!

Jehl,1. I assume that you mean "S/C" not "T/C"2. Which aircraft are you using 757 or 777?3. "T/C button" - which are you referring to?Let me know the answers - I can then give you a checklist for using the step climb function.John Rooum

Thanks!I mean S/C for "Step Climb" ... A already reach the T/C...The bird is a 757-200The T/C button is located on the CDU at the PROG page (bottom right, it's a shortcut) If you want a pic, tell me!Thanks !

JehlWhen the aircraft reaches cruise altitiude, the TD indication on the progress page is replaced by step climb information, if appropriate. I am cruising in the 757 at the moment and cannot see a "T/D button".If you have step climb programmed, change to the VNav page and you should see details of opt and max alt and when to start the next step climb.When you reach this point, the CDU - both progress and VNav pages will instruct you to "step now".1. Dial the new altitude in the MCP - this will be repeated on the CDU scratch pad.2 In VNav page click the top left line select key [LSK] to input the new cruise altitude.3. Press "exe" on the CDU and the aircraft will commence climbing.Note that in the "progress" page, the LSK are inactive.Hope that this helpsJohn Rooum

Cool. Thanks John. Although I didn't ask the question, it was one that I had in mind.:-)

Yes! Thanks for informations ! You just gave me what I want ! :) Now I'm better ! :)Again, Thanks !

Hello ... I still have some a probleme with S/CPlease find bellow what I can see before arriving on the T/Chttp://img161.imageshack.us/img161/4004/fsscr003hf7.jpgAnd bellow what I see passing T/C... The plane don't change its flight level... I changed of course as you can see the ALT on the MCP but nothing happen...http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7969/fsscr007bm9.jpgDoes I need to change too on VNAV (CRUIZ) page the FL to???Please, tell me what I need to do when I see the T/C on the EHSI and if I want increase my FL... Tell me if you can STEP by STEP...Thanks for this !Best regards,

Hello Jahl,First of all, the point you are seeing on the map is S/C for step climb not T/C. Also, in this case, your initial cruise altitude of FL 220 looks low if your route allows FL 340 now. However, this is what you must do - before you reach the S/C point:1. The new altitude to step to is FL340 - as on the first picture. So dial 34000 in the MCP2. This will be shown automatically on the CDU scratchpad - where you have 32000 on the first picture.3. Press the top left Line Select Key - the one next to "crz alt" - this will change the crz alt to FL 3404. You will see that the "EXE" key light is now illuminated. Press this key and the light will go out.Now, as you pass the S/C point the VNav mode should change to ACT ECON CRZ CLB and the aircraft should start to climb to the new altitude.Good luck and let me know if it still does not work.RegardsJohn

Thanks for this good tutorial. On my last post I mean S/C not T/C of course...Thanks again !Best regards,

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.