Sign in to follow this  
FOD

757 - Really great add-on ruined by Frame rates!

David, Just confirm that you have not got the CLS file that has caused many of the other frame rate problems?John Rooum

Guest Pro-Sim

A trace of frame rate related topics in this forum, introduced me to the problem with the CLS TCAS XML gauge.(I decided to check this out myself as PSS don't tend to reply to any questions I ask on this forum - I am clearly in the blacklisted club ;-) )I did indeed have this offending gauge in my Modules folder and as I do not use the CLS A340, I have now deleted it.Where I was getting 8.9 FPS in the PSS 757's VC at EGNT, I am now getting 34.0 FPS and thus, I am happy with that !Therefore, I have to say to PSS that I am pretty happy with the PSS 757 and it is better than I was expecting.Congatulations on a good plane with potential to be a GREAT plane if you will truly listen to your customers, stop being so stubborn and make the changed that will elevate the quality of this product.now that I resolved the FPS, here is my initial synopsis:-GOOD BITS:- Generally a good exterior model, apart from the lack of attention to giving even the illusion that the plane has an INTERIOR.- Nice Panel with excellent functionality and good proportions.- Quite a good VC, although lacks texture in some areas.- Nice flight dynamics. Much better than previous PSS FDE. However, where Climb rate on a 757 is fast, it is not quite as fast as this plane will present from 6000 - 12000 feet with 70% fuel load and in CLB2 thrust mode!- Sound is generally an improvement over the 777 but not good enough to prevent it being replaced by a Mike Maars or Devyn Silverstein sound file from AVSIM.BAD BITS:- The usual lack of any ambience noise in the cockpit when electrical power is connected, Packs are on, etc.- Lots of developers don't design an interior with their models but they get around it by placing a 'pseudo panel adjacent to the main door, with an 'image' of the first row of seats on it. Also, if there is no interior, it is better that the windows are not transparent. The 'empty' vessel syndrome really lets down an otherwise good model.- A new click noise has ben noted.... but unfortunately the 4 year old sounds from the Airbus range are still there.- Will PSS listen to what people actually ask for and not just impose what they think should be offered, and give us an updated bmp of the panel with a WORN LOOK .... it's no good saying that "we want to give you a brand new plane" because this is a simulation and the 757 is not even manufactured by Boeing any more! Most planes are 6-16 years old. The current panel is cartoon-like ... some wear could improve it 400%.Not a classic add-on at this stage but it COULD be.... and it IS better than I was expecting.David.

David,Glad the frame rate problem is resolved - with your system, you deserve to have that sorted.As to your other comments, as you noted in your original post, most of your problems have already been discussed in earlier threads with a PSS response.In addition, as with the fps problem, there are many fixes detailed in the forum to resolve some minor issues which appeared in the final release - if you pick these up you will significantly improve the overall effectiveness of the simulation. John Rooum

Guest optima90

Hi,I dont have the cls file but still got low frame rates,I have a good high end system.

Hmmmm, makes me wonder what whizz-bang setup the beta testers were using? DID they have fluidity?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest NormanB

Dave,You already know that I try to keep at the high end of technology and have had no choice with testing FSX. Others however have systems covering the past few years with the lowest being the minimum specs required.And yes, they had a fluid setup. Frame rates were never reported as an issue (except with an early VC).

Guest Pro-Sim

I have to say that, once I found out about the CLS rogue DLL file (and removed it), this 757 is among the BEST frame rates performers, flying from the VC, in my hangar.If you set the VC resolution to LOW in the FS Settings (Display) options, (really makes no difference in the 757 VC), and set the EFIS screen refresh rates in the SET-UP screen to 6 FPS (and if you have not got the CLS DLL in your modules folder), you should get better results.The FPS perforance of the PSS 757 for me now is considerably better than the ****747 and the ***767.Maybe I am just lucky but I am delighted with the FPS performance of the 757 now!David.

Guest Pro-Sim

Hi all,well, I could not resist the temptation to get a 757, so I took the plunge and bought the PSS 757.I am quite an outspoken critic of PSS's recent products and approach but despite this I own EVERY PSS product that's been released since FS2002.Generally, the PSS 757 looks great .... Apart from the fact that PSS still release models with "absolutely no interior" (when you open the soor with Ctrl+E, you see there's nothing inside, it looks like an empty freighter!!).... despite this, the model is nice.The Panel is quite nice and well specified, but again like all PSS panels, it's too shiny and cartoon-like... a slightly worn look (most 757s are around 6-14 years old) would add so much more realism.The VC is quite impressive - everything apart from the Yoke sticks, which lack texture, and again are cartoon-like.But I do think that the 757 has the potential to be an EXCELLENT 757, however ....a big H-O-W-E-V-E-R ...... >>Apalling frame rates are RUINING this product. I have a decent high end system... an AMD FX-55 optimized for gaming, over 2GB or RAM, and a GeForce 7800GTX video card.Despite this, in the PSS 757 VC, I get 8.9fps while on the ground at the default Newcastle (EGNT) airport ... (hardly a graphically intensive airport in FS2004!).This is totally unacceptable. This figure is WITH the VC textures setting turned to LOW is FS, the screen rates in the 757 setup set at 6fps, and is with no other add-ons whatsoever.This ruins any enjoyment from what seems like good flight dynamics under the surface (but this can't be verified due to the stuttering caused by the low frames).In my opinion, what WOULD be a great add-on for FS2004 is not in a state to sell for

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.