Sign in to follow this  
Guest FlyinJ

POS data on 777LR ND

Guest FlyinJ

Hi folks.What do the green "R-nnn" figures indicate on the ND when the POS button is engaged and you are within range of a VOR station? Originally I thought the "R-" stood for the "Radial" of the VOR you were presently on, but then I determined it to be the bearing TO the station. That is until I saw two of those R-nnn lines dead ahead of me. One at my 12:00 position indicating "R-359" (which looks about right) and the other at my 11:30 postion indicating "R-090" (that's the one that puzzles me). See attached picture. Any info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,Jeff

Guest 777jockey

I believe you're right the first time, those are the Radials from the VOR stations. I couldn't see your pic (it was gone), and you didn't describe which direction you're going (I'm sure the pic would have shown this); but I'm pretty sure those are the Radials from the VORs.Matt

Guest FlyinJ

Hi Matt.Thanks for your response. Yes, looks like my picture has been deleted. If you could see the picture of my ND, you'd see I'm on a magnetic heading of 228 and tracking directly (courtesy of the autopilot) for the MKG VOR off the west coast of Taiwan. With the VOR 4.3nm directly ahead of me, the green line with the "R-359" tag is buried under the magenta course line extending from my aircraft symbol to the VOR. I have an almost direct headwind (238@39) at this point so there is only a 1 degree difference between my magnetic heading (228) and my ground track (227) towards the VOR. Since the reciprical of 227 is 047, the tag on the green line extending straight ahead of my aircraft would read "R-047" (or something very close to that) if it indeed refered to the radial on which I were inbound to the VOR. This is why I think the "R" in the green "R-359" line extending straight ahead of my aircraft doesn't refer to "Radial" and why I posed the question.It's not that big of a deal, really. Just wondering if there were any "experts" out there that knew what it meant.Thanks again,Jeff

Guest 777jockey

You've got me curious now. If you find the time, send me the pic; 777 dot jockey at gmail dot com; I'd really like to take a look at it.

Guest NormanB

777jockey,Dont forget to sign your posts with your real name as per forum guidelines - thanks!

Guest 777jockey

ARGH, you're right, Norman, of course. I keep forgetting to do that here and in some of the *cough* other forums as well... My apologies.Matt(And for the previous one)Matt

Guest NormanB

>(And for the previous one)>Matt;)

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.