Sign in to follow this  
Guest merchant

T7 Auto Selecting ILS Frequency

The FMC manual states "when approaching the destination airport and an ILS-equipped runway is selected, the ILS frequency and front course will be automatically selected on NAV1 radio." The auto-tune to the ILS frequency does not occur until 15 miles from the airport? I asked because I noticed the FMC auto-tuned VOR-L frequencies were appearing in the ILS-MLS field on the NAV RADIO page so I manually enterred the ILS frequency. Did I jump the gun too soon?Is the ILS frequency and front course input to NAV RADIO 1 automatically? Also, at the 15 mile mark on the approach the NAV RADIO 1 should be avoided as the ILS frequency is driving NAV 1 at 15 miles?Thanks,

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Ulysese,You mentioned that the "auto-tuned VOR-L frequencies *were* appearing in the ILS-MLS field". If this is the case, you do not have to "manually enter" the frequency anywhere as it will automatically move to the VOR-L position when you are within 15nm of the airport. So, yes, you may have jumped the gun as you suggested.Normally, at 15nm from the airport, you are being vectored for the approach by ATC so you should be steering your 777 by the MCP's HDG mode. Therefore, when you get within 15nm of the airport and the ILS frequency is auto-tuned into NAV 1, the aircraft should maintain its current heading despite the fact that the ILS is now 'driving' NAV 1. When you arm the LOC or APP mode on the MCP, the autopilot will maintain HDG mode until it captures the LOC.Hope this helps.Jeff

Monitoring raw data during the approach should utilize VOL-R and ADF-L as VOL-L has the ILS frequency?

I don't know if monitoring ADF-L and VOR-R is necessary, but there can be no harm in doing so during the ILS approach.Jeff