Sign in to follow this  
kevinh

Liveries and aircrafg.cfg files

I finally took the plunge and bought the 757. Apart from the known faults I am reasonably happy. I am not happy with the way liveries are selected, downloaded and installed. It's confusing and buggy.Firstly, liveries are listed in a window using airline ICAO codes, not names. I had to look these up one by one to find the liveries I wanted (though some are obvious). I only found Jet2 by looking on their website and seeing that they are really Channel Express!Why not add the airline names to the pick list? Better still, make them individual downloads with self extracting installers, as PMDG and Wilco do. Then you can have easy selection, a thumbnail to view the livery, etc. They could be on an open part of the website. What use are the free liveries unless you already have the sim?Secondly, can you add new liveries subsequently? Is deleting liveries automated, or should they be deleted manually? What then happens if the config files are automatically rebuilt?Thirdly, the way the aircraft.cfg files are generated means the FS9 selection menu for the 757 is a mess. I want to choose my 757 by basic type and airline. I don't want to have to remember whether it had PW and RR engines, overwing exits, winglets, etc. ui type should simply say 757-200, 757-300 or 757-200F. ui variation can then include engine type (RR or PW), airline name and livery as applicable. I have manually edited my aircraft.cfg files to achieve this. Maybe PSS might consider the suggestion?BTW, as auto-generated, I had every ui-type repeated for the 757-200 versions due to slight typos for the PSS liveries in the auto generated .cfg files (extra spaces at the end usually).Are the PSS Liveries needed by the installer? Is it safe to delete them?Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Ben,Thanks for that link, you obviously put a lot of work into that table!I still hope PSS will address this method of livery download and make the aircraft.cfg files generated more user friendly.BTW, how come you missed Eastern Airlines off the list of liveries to be produced? They were one of the 757 launch customers and a sad loss to the industry.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

I posted a bunch of rubbish that was pretty much identical to what was in the thread starter's post. -adam

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.