Sign in to follow this  
kevinh

Alerts during 757 engine start: more info

Got hold of a copy of a 757 Ops Manual, which gives the following information about the way caution aural alerts are inhibited on start and shutdown:Starts: new EICAS cautions do not get displayed during engine starts, until engine reaches idle RPM. Certainly this means no caution aurals or master caution amber lights (EICAS warnings would still get annunciated). Any new cautions still active at idle RPM would then be displayed (with an aural alert). Caution messages which were already displayed before start was initiated would not cause an aural alert when re-displayed, just like when you use the RECALL button.Shutdown: When the fuel switch is in OFF, all aural alerts due to cautions are inhibited, as are the Master Caution Lights (EICAS messages will be displayed however). Warnings aural alerts are not inhibited.Implementing these two simple pieces of logic would stop the cacophony of alerts chimes and false warnings during start and shutdown.Note:Warnings illuminate the MWL, cause an aural alert + EICAS red.Cautions illuminate the MCL, cause an aural alert + EICAS amber.Advisories only give an indented EICAS amber message.Further, I noticed that there is no EICAS warning, caution or advisory named ENG OIL TEMP, so if it comes up on the EICAS there's something wrong.The manual confirms that the Lower EICAS screen should come on in Secondary Engine mode on power up.Hope this helps clear the problem. May provide a clue how to fix the same false caution issue on the 777 as well.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Guest N555TZ

some guy already posted about this like the day it came out, in detailCharlie Brown

Charlie,I can't find any such post, but please point me to it if you know which thread it's in. There are however a whole binch of posts about the incorrect csounding of cautions during start and shutdown. I hoped my post would add some hard evidence to the debate.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.