Sign in to follow this  
philbrown

FSX and support for FS9

I'm getting a bit concerned about the number of posts from PSS support here stating they don't have FS9 installed any more, and can only look at problems as they appear in FSX.I'm not planning to upgrade to FSX for a while (at least until Vista and DX10 are available), and therefor will be continuing to use FS9 for some time to come.But I am getting worried that my 777 or 757 will no longer be supported for FS9. Is this the case, or do some of the support team still have FS9 installed for testing purposes?

Guest NormanB

Phil,I half expected such a post from somebody but to clarify:My FS install was already in excess of 20GB. Combine this with the 13+ GB of FSX something had to go. Does it mean FS9 is gone for good - heck no but it means I have to install it on another machine as part of my support. Being a much lesser machine it isnt one I would use to sim with for enjoyment. More importantly though I am only but one member of PSS - there are others. Just because I make a single statement that I have dropped FS9 (for my own enjoyment) doesnt make it a blanket statement. On the flip side a rhetoric question. Would you prefer PSS didnt look at moving toward the next version of Flight Simulator?

Thanks for the clarification Norman. As to the last question - would very much expect PSS to move forward. I can imagine though that a fair few users will be waiting on Vista and DX10 before upgrading and purchasing FSX. But it's good to know that FS9 support will continue for the time being at least.

Guest Rake7575

NormIf you are running both an FS9 and FSX version of PSS can you provide a pros/cons analysis? Or, at least any pitfalls when transitioning from FS9 to FSX (not necessarily limited to PSS)--For example, though I haven't had issues with framerates and the PSS757 in FS9, I was curious how PSS 757 would impact FSX, or FSX impact PSS?Thanks!RakeAMD FX-604 GB Corsair Ultra low latency RAM (32bit XP only recognizes 2.96GB--rest is for eventual Vista upgrade)X1900XTX ATI Radeon 512MB video10000rpm/150GB HD

Guest NormanB

Rake,My version of FS9 was heavily modded with pretty well every addon you could imagine so a direct comparison would be unfair on both. Right now I have a plain version of both - the only addition being FSUIPC registerd in FS9 and a beta of FSUIPC in FSX.Sadly (for now until I can move some more stuff over) FS9 is now on a different PC so even a direct comparison isnt really possible.

Guest Rake7575

NormUnderstand...I'm curious to see how FSUIPC and squawkbox etc integrates with FSX since they are both integral to FS9 virtual airline/air traffic world. Is the beta FSUIPC available for all or just developers?My sense is the virtual airline/VATSIM community that uses squawkbox or FSInn won't migrate to FSX for some time--perhaps enough time to work out more basic issus related to FSX.Thanks!Rake

Guest NormanB

Rake,The second shot in http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=13107 was taken by me so you can see that (a new version of) Squawkbox works fine with FSX.The beta version of FSUIPC wont work with the release of FSX and in any case isnt used for online flying when connecting with SB4, FSInn 1.2 or IVAP2.

Guest Rake7575

NormanGood to see SB up and working with FSX though you can't tell that by going to SB website which states:>September 13, 2006 SquawkBox on FSX I took my first flight with SquawkBox for FSX this morning. What this means in practice is that SquawkBox is partially working with FSX and work on it is ongoing. I am working hard to have a publicly available version ready in time for FSX's retail release.Stay tuned here for more updates.Posted by Joel at 10:40 AM

Guest NormanB

Rake,The first picture is using FSInn - it isnt mine so I dont know what the setup is.The second is mine, doesnt use autogen and is locked at 20FPS where it stays.FSX FSUIPC remains just like it's predecessor. It isnt however used by SB4 since it uses Simconnect (which is part of FSX) to interface with the sim.Re SB news - Joel tells me he will update his site today.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.