Sign in to follow this  
Gerabus

FSX

Guest Knikolaes

>>BTW I assume that you have sorted out the FS9 registry>problem?>>JohnYes, using that tool listed above from Flight1.Chris

Guest Knikolaes

>ok...so maybe this is a blinding flash of the obvious but>what again is the attraction of FSX if autogen and eye candy>have to be either turned off or "simplified" to a level below>FS9 with add-ons?>>If I can currently achieve 50-60 FPS with every add-on known>to man what is the impetus to change? >>Not sure I want to spend hours/days tweaking FSX so I can>hopefully get 20FPS without AI, without autogen, and>questionable texture tiles and learn that my system is just>not good enough--but I probably will--: )>>RakeI guess when I preordered and paid 70 dollars USD for this thing (non refundable) I decided I will do what it takes to use it. It DOES show a LOT of promise -- the only three complaints I have are:* Ground textures - FS 9 looked better* Autogen being so FPS intensive* Registry issue making FS 9 registry dependent add-ons such as edit voicepack forget where FS 9 is.Other than that, I love a lot of the features FS X has - ESPECIALLY built in mouse look without the need for an add-on to do so. I also LOVE the fact that you choose either 2D or VC for your preference (either you are a VC flier or a 2D flier - period). I am a VC flier, so eliminating 2D was great for me, and I am sure a lot of 2D fliers feel the same way about having no VC :-)The animations, such as freeways having cars do a lot for me -- makes me feel not so "isolated" -- in FS 9, even with full AI in the air, looking down at a bunch of abandoned roads made me feel like this was definitely a simulation and it still had a bit of a "lonely" feeling to it, but now when i look down and see cars, trucks, 18-wheelers, etc. busily making their way between Colorado Springs and Denver, I feel so much more like I truly am flying "above it all". I just wish they had at least included state highways as well, becauise it still looks strange with I-25 being so busy, but _=50 being still flat and gray. Maybe have it as a slider option for the future? of course that maes for a LOT of roads, and that'd be a LOT of work, so I VERY highly understand this being left open for third party development in the future :-)Another aspect of FS X that really caught my enjoyment is the Garmin G1000 Cessna. Aaaaah. I love this bird. Too bad the flight dynamics are the same as the previous two versions even with realism sliders maxed. Later tonight I am going to see if I can get the Realair Simulations dynamics onto the FS X version. it may take me a bit, but I think it'd be worth it, and if so I think she'll be a dream to fly. I used to be hardcore for airliners in FS, but now that I am in flight school and actually flying a C172 in real life, I've been spending a LOT of time in Cessnas in the sim to practice what I've been learning.

Guest NormanB

>* Registry issue making FS 9 registry dependent add-ons such>as edit voicepack forget where FS 9 is.Chris,You seem to be the only one experiencing this though. FS9 addons (should!) use the exe path found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator9.0whereas FSX addons useHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator10.0

Guest Knikolaes

>>* Registry issue making FS 9 registry dependent add-ons>such>>as edit voicepack forget where FS 9 is.>>Chris,>>You seem to be the only one experiencing this though. FS9>addons (should!) use the exe path found in >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlight>Simulator9.0>>whereas FSX addons use>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlight>Simulator10.0>true, and I have noticed this as well. I am wondering if there was some sort of oddness happening that had to do with the demo? **shrugs** It just seemed to hapen RIGHT after i anstalled FS X and I hadn't installed anything else at the time. I never looked at the registry physically, so not sure what hapened or even if it truly was FS X related.On everything else i stated about FS X though - the pros seem to outweigh the cons -- the only real thing that bugs me in FS X are those ground textures -- ick! Still, though, looking ever so forward to flying the PSS 757 in both versions of the sim.I forget if I mentioned it above, but for those who do use edit voicepack, you can copy over the accelerated voicepack (BACK UP YOUR ORIGINAL) and airline list files and they work just fine in FSX to get rid of that dreadful "dead man walking" sound that default ATC has LOL. This also immediately enables all the callsigns for all of your favorite 757 liveries :-)

Guest Rake7575

Norman--since you are obviously familiar with inner workings of PSS and how it relates to FSX etc and have some inside baseball on other FSX related issues, can you give us a heads-up on the following:1) What is your guess on when a 757 mod for FSX will be available?2) Since I fly almost exclusively on line (VATSIM) utilizing SB 3.1, have you heard the VATSIM gameplan for migration to FSX? Will VATSIM continue to support both FS9 and FSX simultanously? I'm assuming theres no way one can operate FSX in a FS9 VATSIM world?3) FSUIPC 4 has been released--does it have similar functionality with regard to assigning buttons/switches as registered version of FSUIPC 3.74) SB 4 is about to be released--is SB4 for FSX only?5) FSX apparently supports FSGenesis land mass, is there an ultimate terrain FSX version in the works? (I was hoping there would no longer be a requirement for UT in FSX, but from the screenshots I've seen, FSX could still use some help in the tile department in some areas particularly the inland lake/rivers department)6) Is there a soup to nuts site that anyone is aware of that captures all of the tweaks out there for enhancing the performance of FSX?Take a look at the FS9 attachment #1 operating at 50FPS--I haven't seen an FSX shot yet to compare from the user side of the house...FSX attachment #2. Seems like achieveing 20FPS in FSX is the goal based on the posts (and you pretty much have to turn everything off to get there). Fly at 20FPS then fly at 50FPS and tell me if you ever want to go back.ThanksRake

So much for my optimistic report above.Sat 14th. Booted up my pc. Did a flight in FSX. After, loaded up FS9 and for some reason it came up with the FS9 EULA. Clicked accept,tried to load FSX and it gave me a system error, uninstalled FSX, tried to reload, got to the end of the loading session then hit me with error 1722(there is a problem with windows installer) tried a few times and got same error, so left it off. Back to FS9,running fine, or so I thought. D/L the PMDG 744 sound update, went to install and it hit me with FS9 not installed. Panic set in. I have now done a complete reinstall of my PC including Windows XP. Now got all my FS9 back to as it was before. Now at this time I'm to afraid to reinstall FSX.Gerryps Rake A321 from my VA BVAIR.com

Guest Knikolaes

>So much for my optimistic report above.>>Sat 14th. Booted up my pc. Did a flight in FSX. After, loaded>up FS9 and for some reason it came up with the FS9 EULA.>Clicked accept,tried to load FSX and it gave me a system>error, uninstalled FSX, tried to reload, got to the end of the>loading session then hit me with error 1722(there is a problem>with windows installer) tried a few times and got same error,>so left it off. Back to FS9,running fine, or so I thought. D/L>the PMDG 744 sound update, went to install and it hit me with>FS9 not installed. Panic set in. I have now done a complete>reinstall of my PC including Windows XP. Now got all my FS9>back to as it was before. Now at this time I'm to afraid to>reinstall FSX.>>Gerry>>ps Rake A321 from my VA BVAIR.comThis is EXACTLY the behavior I had when I started making my reports. It's like add-ons forget that FS9 is there.Gerry -- After installing FS X -- get that repair tool from Flight1 mentioned above and run it - that'll cure your add-ons finding FS 9.As for if it will effect add-ons finding FS X in the future, I do not yet know (we'll find out when add-ons get released that have installers that need to find FS X). I do know that after running the registry fix for FS 9 I had to - for some reason - reenter my registry key for Activecamera as well **boggles** -- however other add-ons such as Ariane products semed to be just fine despite the oddness.I can definitely say that if others ARE encountering this issue and since it appears i am NOT the only one -- then this may be a concern as the PSS installers do not have "point to" capability I think -- do they? (Norman?) If not, then registries do have to be in order and working properly for PSS products to be installed -- and other registry -dependant add-ons for that matter.Chris

Guest SilverCircle

>Sat 14th. Booted up my pc. Did a flight in FSX. After, loaded>up FS9 and for some reason it came up with the FS9 EULA.>Clicked accept,tried to load FSX and it gave me a system>error, uninstalled FSX, tried to reload, got to the end of the>loading session then hit me with error 1722(there is a problem>with windows installer) tried a few times and got same error,>so left it off. Back to FS9,running fine, or so I thought. D/L>the PMDG 744 sound update, went to install and it hit me with>FS9 not installed. Panic set in. I have now done a complete>reinstall of my PC including Windows XP. Now got all my FS9>back to as it was before. Now at this time I'm to afraid to>reinstall FSX.The very simple solution for this could have been:http://www.flight1software.com/files/FS_Registry_Repair.exe(free download)It simply restores "lost" FS2004 registry settings. I never had a need for it, but I know that it has solved the issue after installing/uninstalling the FSX Demo for quite a few people.And yes, there is an issue with the FSX demo which can result in lost FS2004 registry settings and then a lot of addons won't install, because they cannot locate FS2004. No idea if that issue is in the retail, though.

Guest Rake7575

FSX Deluxe arrived this evening...sitting in the box...I've elected to hold fire till basic tweaks get sorted and played out for a few more weeks. I'm sure FSX will be a milestone bit of flight sim software kit once the community is able to catch up and spring for the very expensive hardware required to support it. I feel your pain Gerry...sounds to me you're off FSX for a while.Rake

Guest Knikolaes

Now see I have the demo too and it never did this -- just the final deluxe version.Chris

"The very simple solution for this could have been:http://www.flight1software.com/files/FS_Registry_Repair.exe(free download)It simply restores "lost" FS2004 registry settings. I never had a need for it, but I know that it has solved the issue after installing/uninstalling the FSX Demo for quite a few people"To my unfortunate ignorance. Had I known this sloution then, then yes, it would have been the simple solution. One good thing has come out of it though. I now have FS9 fresh and as it was all backed up prior, I have been very selective on what has been put back on as there was also loads of rubbish in there before reinstall, I have kept it to my payware only and it's running great.Gerry

"I can definitely say that if others ARE encountering this issue and since it appears i am NOT the only one"Chris,Checked out afew other FSX forums and we are not alone. This exact same issue has happened to a lot of simmers.Gerry

Guest NormanB

Rake,>1) What is your guess on when a 757 mod for FSX will be>available?Alex who does most of the programming still only has beta3 - sadly the whole world has yet to get their hands on a release. As such it would be wrong for me to give a definitive date. That said, because we try to stick as close to the SDK as is possible we don't have as much work as others may have for example. Please understand that this is an estimate based on what I see needs fixed to work in FSX - I could be completely wrong!! I wouldnt imagine a patch would take more than 3 weeks and most probably only a couple.>2) Since I fly almost exclusively on line (VATSIM) utilizing>SB 3.1, have you heard the VATSIM gameplan for migration to>FSX? Will VATSIM continue to support both FS9 and FSX>simultanously? I'm assuming theres no way one can operate FSX>in a FS9 VATSIM world?I have been using FSX online for some time, using IVAP when it was in closed beta on the IVAO network, FSInn 1.2 beta a couple of times but mostly online with VATSIM using Squawkbox4 (SB4) which is currently in closed beta. >3) FSUIPC 4 has been released--does it have similar>functionality with regard to assigning buttons/switches as>registered version of FSUIPC 3.7Identical.>4) SB 4 is about to be released--is SB4 for FSX only?I havent tried it with FS9 but would imagine, based on it now using SimConnect rather than FSUIPC, that it is for FSX only.>5) FSX apparently supports FSGenesis land mass, is there an>ultimate terrain FSX version in the works? In FS9 I used FSGlobal. I have been friends with Justin Thyme of FSGenesis for many years. He and I started scenery design around the same time under the tuition of a man by the name of Alfred Grech who had a vision to "cover the FS world." I know through the FSX beta Justin was quite active - I didn't see anything from the UT guys so cant comment.>6) Is there a soup to nuts site that anyone is aware of that>captures all of the tweaks out there for enhancing the>performance of FSX?Nick Whittome has quite a few of them either listed or linked on his blog. Im at an Internet caf

Guest Knikolaes

>>I have my FSX settings pretty well maxed out with the>exception of autogen which I had turned off. I have recently>done a couple of tweaks I saw on the web and now have autogen>set about half way and still get a steady 20fps. Oooh. Which tweaks did you do? From what i saw before i killed Autogen, the way FS X is set up - Autogen seems to be most of this edition's "look". Unlike FS 9, in FS X the land looks tacky and baron without it, thought right now I have to run without just to get performance. Liek you, though, I have almost everything else maxed out since killing autogen.Chris

Dear NormanB,Can you tell me wich tweaking we need to do for the panel.cfg and fs9.cfg ?I have FSUIPC for FSX ... The plane is already on FSX and it crash after alignment of the IRS...Thanks you !! It's too hard to wait ...

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.