Sign in to follow this  
drayton_k

Go Around procedure for 757

Hi,Can someone please tell me how to negotiate a go around in the 757. Other than disconnecting the A/P and flying manually is there another way. many thanksKeith

Guest Victor Sussman

Well, another option would be to press the TO/GA button on the thrust rating panel to the right of the upper EICAS. This will command go-around power. Then, I'd just engage heading hold, dial in a comfortable vertical speed and start the climb and flap retraction.Once you're a little less 'busy' you can switch to FL CH mode for the climb to maintain a desired speed or just continue to use V/S in conjunction with a selected speed.However, if you're in a hurry and trying to execute a quick go-around, I still think it's your best bet to press the disengage bar and fly by hand -- you can always re-engage the autopilot later if you want and you'll never be able to beat your ability to react quickly at the outset. :)

Guest Victor Sussman

Oh, and one other thing (sorry about the two posts, but I got some weird message about the 'editing period having expired' when I tried to modify my original post) -- pressing the TO/GA button is advisable anyway even if you later disconnect all parts of the autoflight system, because it will also change what you see on the flight director. :)

Victor,Thanks, this is what I did try initially but for some reason pressing the TOGA button did not have any influence on anything. It just does not work.However, I will try again later.thanks againKeith

Hi,- engage G/A mode- observe G/A power being set by A/T (if problems, firewall throttles manually)- select FLAP20 (both engines operating)- @ positive rate: gear UP- @400ft AGL select lateral mode (LNAV, HDG SEL)- @1000ft AGL select vertical mode (FL CH Vref+80)- Clean up and fly the missed approach procedure and contact ATC to let them know about going around.Observe 2000fpm climb rate during go-around and the eventual thrust reduction after that ROC is achieved (it's normal).Hope this helps,Tero

PPL(A)

By the way, If you are still confused, make sure the A/T is armed (switch flipped) and RIGHT click the EPR button. For all these great hints here, I never saw mention of how to actually engage the GA mode. Hope this helps too!-adamP.S. I never got the TO/GA switch on the TRP to work. I eventually found the EPR TO/GA button when my mouse indavertantly hovered over the EPR button on the MCP.

Guest mabrodb

Missed Approach/Go-Around - All Engines OperatingIf a missed approach is required following an autopilot approach, leave theautopilots engaged. Push either GA switch, call for flaps 20, ensure go-aroundthrust for the nominal climb rate is set and monitor autopilot performance. Retractthe landing gear after a positive rate of climb is indicated on the altimeter.At typical landing weights, actual thrust required for a normal go-around isusually considerably less than maximum go-around thrust. This provides a thrustmargin for windshear or other situations requiring maximum thrust. If full thrustis desired after thrust for the nominal climb rate has been established, advancethrust levers manually to maximum go-around thrust.If a missed approach is required following a manual instrument approach or visualapproach, push either GA switch, call for flaps 20, ensure/set go-around thrust,and rotate smoothly toward 15

>>P.S. I never got the TO/GA switch on the TRP to work. I>eventually found the EPR TO/GA button when my mouse>indavertantly hovered over the EPR button on the MCP.Cheers Guys, Thanks for all the replies. I was using the correct procedure but it was the TOGA switch problem that Adam has pointed out, that wouldnt work. Now I know what to click on I will try again.Many thanksKeith

Guest Victor Sussman

*EDIT* Post removed by me -- accidentally posted to wrong thread. Sorry! :oops:

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.