Sign in to follow this  
gelowims

Autoland problem

Does anyone know how to stop the left to right ocsillation when flying the 757-2 on a ILS approach? It does not matter what airport I fly into, the smae thing happens. It would be helpful if I could get this fixed. Thanks in advance.George Williams

Guest aarskringspier

Do you mean its snaking through the localizer? You might be intercepting it at to great an angle or to fast. The bird really does track like its on rails from everything I have seen or encountered.

That is a good term(snaking), for that is just what the bird does when doing an ILS autoland. Actually my speed is down to 165, and I use the FMC for tracking and angle. As I am not a real world pilot, but am truly engaged with flying and FS. I very well maybe doing something wrong. Any other thoughts? Many ThanksGeorge Williams:-newbie

Guest aarskringspier

I dont maybe someone else will; I havent ever seen it happen its hard to say without seeing it or knowing exactly how you go about capturing the localizer. Does it do it everytime?

Yes it does it everytime. I just finished an approach and the bird captured the ILS and was tracking it quite well. However, the closer the plane got to the runway threshold the more it began to ocsillate left to right and back. I have to quit FS rather than crash. My speed was 157, with flaps 30. I saw a eariler post about the same problem, but there was no solution to the problem listed. That post can be seen here. http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search

Guest aarskringspier

157 seems kinda fast, my Vref +5 is usually around 137. Are you landing with a lot of fuel on board so youre a bit heavy?

GeorgeA couple of clues.Some months ago, I found I could reproduce this effect on the ILS loc tracking in 2 situations:1. Approaching at very high weights and at speeds well below VRef2. At normal weights/speeds only if I forced a very low fps - less than 5.Others have suggested that a relatively low capture angle for the loc - say 30 deg or less - might help.John Rooum

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.