Sign in to follow this  
Guest fyrestrtr

Few Questions on the FMC

Guest fyrestrtr

Hello Everyone: I am enjoying the 777 and after a few flights, I have the following questions, please excuse me if these are a FAQ, I searched for a bit, but didn't find anything that answered my question directly. I'm new to a 'proper' FMC so please excuse me if these are some trivial questions :) When I start FS2004 and load the PSS 777, it starts up, and the altitude on the AP is set to 10000. I then load my FP and punch in a cruise altitude (32000) in the CDU. Question: In the TAKEOFF REF page, what is CG % ? I punch in some number here, and it gives me the trim setting, but what should I put in here? After I have saved my flight plan, I setup the autopilot by: Clicking on the VNAV Click on the LNAV Flipping on the autothrottle arm Turning on the flight director (I do not punch the HOLD button under Altitude) Then, I commence my take off roll, after I have reached about 900 FT and the gears are up, I activate the autopilot by clicking on the A/P button. Then I follow the markers on the speed tape to retract the flaps. Autopilot does the lateral navigation perfectly (ie, the flight plan is programmed correctly). Question: It seems no matter what I do, the aircraft never reaches the cruise altitude, but rather it levels off at 10,000. On the FMC, there is a 'crossing altitude' setting (this time, it was 18000). Should I set this in the AP's altitude setting before takeoff? How do I get the airplane to climb (not like a rocket ship) to the cruise altitude set in the FMC? As I approach the destination, I pull up the STAR information in the CDU, I select a runway, a STAR and a FIX. This is all then activated by hitting the EXEC button. In the CDU, I can see that it has the correct altitudes when crossing fixes (ie, it will descend properly). However, the plane never does! It's always cruising at 32000 (or whatever is set in the glare shield panel). I always end up manually descending it :( Please tell me what I am doing wrong here so I can get the proper simulation feel :) PS> What is the FLCH button in the glare shield for?

Guest fyrestrtr

A follow up post.I've also noticed that the climb rate is a bit too steep.From take off till 10,000 -- the plane climbs at close to 3500 FPM.From 10,000 till cruise, its 2200 FPM.Surely, this isn't normal?Thanks,Burhan

Burhan,I strongly recommend that you complete the Tutorial Flight - this will answer all your questions about the FMC etc.Once you are happy with that, we can then look at your questions about performance.Good LuckJohn Rooum

Guest fyrestrtr

Thanks John, I appreciate the response. I just got the PMDG 747 installed as well, so was playing with that. I will revisit the 777 at a later time when I have more than 1 hour to play with it.I will go through the tutorial flight. I feel its user error, as I was able to do a half-a**ed landing with the autopilot on using the 777 as I finally managed to understand a bit more of the excellent FMC.There is a long weekend coming up for us in Kuwait, and I plan to do a lot of catching on my sim time; hopefully I'll have some more informed questions for you all.Thanks again,Burhan

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.