Sign in to follow this  
lollo883

Inital climb rate of PSS 757...isn't too steep?

Hi everybody...I'm having a flying period with PSS 757...it is a great product but some things are (in my opinion) to be improved and about this I hope PSS will send out a Patch or somethink like that. For example I noticed that during all my 757 flights (EGLL-LIML for example)whatever the TOGW is the aircraft has a very steep initial climb rate (in some cases more than 6000ft/min) and you can understand that in an airport like Heathrow I find myself at initial climb altitude after only a couple of minutes of flight and I think this is not realistic. The other thing I noticed was that there is no difference between the CLB mode, the CLB1mode and CLB2mode in fact of power supplied by the engine...is that normal?Just last question...can you conferme me that the maximum operative cruse altitude for the B757 is 37000ft...it seems a bit low for this kind of aircraft.Thanks to everybody!CheersLorenzo Chiovaro

Guest Muppet22

I think this has been discussed before but yes, it is way overpowered. In real life 757s are also over powered but not to this extent. I did a flight a while back and reached FL380 after 10 minutes at about 90000KG.there is no difference between the CLB mode, the CLB1mode and CLB2mode in fact of power supplied by the engine...is that normal? - >>> No, rather abnormal I would suggest.Let's hope this issues along with the numerous others are fixed in a patch.Tom

Hi everyone again...I tried to edit the aircraft.cfg file but without good end!! I acted on the static thrust and on the inlet area but if you change it the airplane loses max altitude. In fact if you reduce MAX STATIC THRUST even to 38000Lbs the max cruise altitude will be only 29000FT! The same if you act on the inlet area...where is the problem in that file!!! :-((Great landingsLorenzo

Allow me to offer a third perspective:I believe the CLs (coefficient of lift) vs. AoA table 404 needs a giant shift to the right. A given AoA provides way too much lift in this FDE. If you notice, this plane climbs very shallow, cruises EXTREMELY shallow, and it descends at much too low of an AoA. Something else is the way they handled stab trim. Ever noticed that the aircraft has a serious nose-up tendency? Take a look at your model externally and watch your stabilizer in cruise. It is seriously NOSE DOWN to keep the aircraft level. I believe PSS did this to have an artificial stab trim range on their gauge. When it's reading 5 units nose up on the panel, it's actually at 0

I agree with you in fact it doesn't seem tobe a problem in the aircraft.cfg file. However it could be in the .air file that describes the engine performance and data...I know that it is not supported by PSS but just to try I changed for a while the original RR211 535E4B .air file with a .air file provided by POSKY in a B757-200 powered with the same engine. I noticed that now the airplane has a a good maxium cruse altitude (at MTGW more or less 40000ft) and it climb in a smooth way. I suggest to mantain this file until a patch will be released but the AutoThrottle system doesn't manage the maximum power available and leave the engine at TO thrust for the whole flight. Problably this problem is bigger then what ww though...probably there is also a TRIM problem and I not think we can resolve it in a while. Anyway I think we must try...becouse it is a very good plane...it has only this problem...Oh, anyone noticed any problems even in the PW model??CheersLorenzo

I have also tried to merge with Posky 757 FDE.Also I noticed no autothrottle!I gave up...Situation no really better with the PW version or 753.Apart from the Climb issue that I have already highligted in this forum a few times, this AC is a must.I hope PSS will commit to a great patch.RegardsGhiom

Frankly I don't mind the excessive rate of climb with this baby. Some of the high terrain areas I like to takeoff from while using FS Passengers benefits from this aircraft taking off like a rocket. Yet, I must agree that the aircraft cruises much slower in the upper FL's than the real aircraft. It would be nice to have that part of the aircraft fixed. Also, there has been no way to select 'long range cruise' in the CDU...only economy cruise. Oh, well, I can live with that!

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.