Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ruahrc

PSS757 = not too bad

Guest Ruahrc

HelloI finally got the PSS757 recently after watching it closely ever since its release. I really liked the fact that it comes with all the variants (-200, -300, -F, and also both PW and RR engines) which was why I picked this package. Please PSS don't stop following this philosophy on your future releases!Anyways after v1.2 came out I decided to give her a try, and I must say it is better than I had expected. The model is pretty good, save for a few issues (i.e. leading edge slats and the elevator problems) but unfortunately the VC is too much for my computer. I think I need more RAM, as the rest of my PC is pretty powerful (X2 4800+, Ati X1900GT 256MB, 1GB RAM).The panel as usual is great, and the FDE is decent. Needs work on the climbing issue although if I load it up to the max and use CLB2 mode the climb performance is pretty close to the real thing (based on some rough estimates from me flying routes I have rode on in real life 757s, matching up altitudes at various landmarks). Still needs to be toned down a bit though.1.2 makes the plane pretty decent- although more fixes need to be applied. PSS is well on its way towards polishing it up to a really great package though!Ruahrc

Ruahrc,"unfortunately the VC is too much for my computer"I am running a much less powerful system - AMD 3200+ - and get reasonable fps in the VC. If you let me know what you are seeing, perhaps there might be some clue as to how you can improve things.RegardsJohn Rooum

Guest Ruahrc

It's not really that I get low fps while in VC view, but what causes the slowdown is the loading of the VC textures. I get stuttering when I switch to VC view and everything is grey for a few secs while the textures load. Also, I notice significantly more HD access when I tried the +VC model, as the extra memory used in loading the VC is now unavailable for other things?I have this free little utility called Memtest which will display the usage of your physical RAM and video RAM. When I had the PSS 757 VC loaded and running full screen, my video RAM only was about 50-60% used, but my physical RAM was 99% (maxxed out).The true crutch of my PC I think is that I run mega-buttloads of AI. I have Ultimate Traffic, plus a large number of extra flightplans installed and my traffic percentage is at 98-99%. That means there are a lot of AI aircraft flying around, and when you combine that with resource-intensive (and in particular texture-heavy) addon scenery like FlyTampa or Cloud9 and I think I am just running out of RAM. I have been considering upgrading to 2GB of RAM for a while now and think it may help things out.What do you think?RuahrcPS- Since my LCD display can only go up to 1024x768, I can't really clearly see things in the VC without zooming in on them. Therefore I only really use the VC for providing that "correct perspective" immersion when looking out the sides of my aircraft. Otherwise I spend most of my time in the 2D panel. That is why I don't really mind ditching the VC for more performance if I need to. A set of 2D side-views would also help compensate for the lack of VC.

Ruahrc,On the display, I am using 1280x1024 - even with that you do need to zoom in on FMC etc to use it efectively {The Track IR fans will come in here}As to performance in VC - have you tried the reduced VC textures which are available on the User Edit section of the Web Site. I have them in and saw no difference in the look of the VC. I do not have any real problem with VC loading times - although when first looking left or right from the 2D panel, I too see the 2 secs of grey before the VC view loads.I have 1.5 G RAM and will be going up to 2G when I update my system.However, the big killer of course is AI particularly when tied in with add-on airports. I use Traffic 2006 along with Gary Summons airports and I can easily get the 2D panel down to single figures around the airfields. But with Traffic, I do find that over anything over 50% is far too busy anyway and I generally have AI set at 30 - 40%.Good LuckJohn

Use the low resolution VC.Good luckGhiom Viguie

If I reinstall the 757 with the vc, do I still have 2d panels like other aircraft? Sometimes it's easier to goto the 2d panel to click switches than it is in the vc. Now that I've upgraded my computer I can handle the vc, but still want to use 2d from time to time.

John K

Guest Ruahrc

Thanks for your suggestions I will try those out. I think I looked and saw that the PSS supplied VC textures were DXT3 also (same as the reduced VC textures available as a download) but I will give it another shot.And yes, you can still access the 2D panel in the VC model.Ruahrc

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.