Sign in to follow this  
johnk51

End of Route

There are times with the T7 and 757 that when doing an autoland at about 50 over the threshold you get the fmc message end of route. At that time the plane starts a hard left bank. It doesn't happen at all airports. I know KDEN 16R, EGLL 9L this does happen. But other airports like KLAX, KSFO it does. These examples are all addon airports. Maybe at the end of route the plane doesn't know where to go. And again this is doing an autoland.

John K

Guest Phoenix5

John,I have seen reports of this issue, and to date have been unable to resolve it. For me it only happens at one airport I use with add-on scenery.What I have isolated as a major possibility is the FS default GPS reading for the airport. I.E. each airport file has a value designed to allow the nav programs to "know" when they have reached the airport. I am believing that with some scenery packages they relocate the runways so that this "spot" or value is not aligned correctly and as such the fmc reads this value, and closes of the route.I hope this makes sense... it does in my mind...

I've not got a problem with the FMC clearing the route over the numbers, but the problem is it also clears the ILS frequency as well, which is what causes the aircraft to bank before touchdown.I've seen it quite a few times when manually landing - you get to about 100 feet, you get an FMC end of route message and the flight director yanks off to the left, making autolands rather hazardous.Could there be some way of delaying the FMC end of route until you get below a certain speed for example, or if thats not possible, not clearing the ILS freq when the rest of the route is deleted?

Its not an addon scenery issue, as the "End of route" problems happens to me at all airports.I Have London Gatwick and Heathrow sceneries from UK2000, I get "END OF ROUTE" before touchdown on all runways, yet with PMDG/LDS aircraft the FMC's act correctly. This problem must be within the gauge file.Cheers

Just curious,Are you all entering the full approach from a chart, or relying on the PSS default CFXX fix and runway ?I have long since parked both PSS Boeings for a plethora of other reasons, but can honestly say I never had this particular issue when manually entering a full approach procedure, with missed approach, etc.Why doesn't the PSS FMS support approach procedures, anyway ?

Regards,

Brian Doney

Good point Brian. It's sometimes a bit limiting with regard to the STAR data avaliable as to whether there is a missed approach procedure or not. I suppose to could enter a fix after the runway manually to extend the route past the landing runway. I can't remember ever seeing missed approacg procedures when using the 777.I guess as soon as you reach CFXX, which will be the last point on the plan, the FMC will have no more route to follow, so clears the FMC.

Surely you should only get an END OF ROUTE alert if LNAV is still active. On final approach you will normally not be in LNAV, so this FMC alert message should be inhibited.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Guest Phoenix5

Most popular commercial add-ons have this message appear.

Not 100% sure, but, even if not in LNAV, the FMS will still sequence the approach waypoints as you fly the approach, regardless of whatever other mode you choose to fly the approach under.If the runway is the last point in the route, the scratchpad message does make sense. I also seem to remember that LNAV and disco messages are not inhibited as are VNAV messages, but I'd have to dig for more details. I really think the bigger issue here is not having any sort of missed approach segment(s) after the runway.The other issues mentioned certainly are a problem...even with an end of route, and flying the approach in LNAV, the AFDS should only degrade to HDG HLD.If flying in APP mode, what are the NAV radios doing before this happens ? What mode is the ND set to ? Maybe as a temp solution, be sure NAV radios are in MAN mode regardless of any other settings and tune manually ?

Regards,

Brian Doney

The ILS has to be tuned through the FMC - you can't do it any other way, and the problem is it gets deleted just before touchdown.As Brian states, why the FD yanks off to the left is anyones guess.This is a major issue PSS - at the moment I cannot trust either the 777 or the 757 (which is in the hangar again awaiting the VNAV fix...) with making an autoland.Regarding Stevens post, most popular commercial addons alos have the End Of Route message inhibited until the ground speed is below a certain limit to ensure that these sorts of problems don't occur.

I tested the 753 into KPDX just now. I was going 10L 111.30. I was in 2d with the fmc window open to the nav radio page. As soon as I got end of route both radios changed freq and this time the plane did a hard bank to the right. Vor L went to 111.8 and vor R went to 109.2. I don't know what freq is 109.2. 111.8 is the pdx vor. So I think that you need to put the radios on manual park both radios for this not to happen. I'll try that sometime this weekend unless some one else gives it a try.

John K

Just a quick question...if you put the ND in ILS mode, do the radios go into manual mode ? This shouldn't happen anyway, but I'm curious....

Regards,

Brian Doney

Just did a flight in the T7 from KBOS to KDEN. Landing 26 and manually parked the ils in the radios. When end of route message appeared the radios stayed on the ils freq. So it looks like you need to manually park the ils. Haven't tried it on the 757 and there, there's the button for auto and manual on the main 2d panel. I'm guessing you have to click on manual then park the ils in the fmc.

John K

That's interesting, at least now we're getting somewhere...For the 757, putting the EHSI in ILS mode should switch the radios over to MAN, again maybe as a temp workaround....

Regards,

Brian Doney

>Not 100% sure, but, even if not in LNAV, the FMS will still>sequence the approach waypoints as you fly the approach,>regardless of whatever other mode you choose to fly the>approach under.>>If the runway is the last point in the route, the scratchpad>message does make sense. I also seem to remember that LNAV and>disco messages are not inhibited as are VNAV messages, but I'd>have to dig for more details. >>The point is that END OF ROUTE is a warning that you have passed the last waypoint and the AFCS has consequently switched from LNAV to HDG mode. If LNAV is not active this won't happen, hence no need for a message.On the turn to the left issue, maybe the AFCS is going to HDG SEL mode instead of HDG HOLD? The heading bug should always be kept aligned manually anyway, but if you forget, the sim would follow whatever heading you last had selected.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.