Sign in to follow this  
Guest coolfront55

757 speedtape

Guest coolfront55

Hello, I installed a fresh 1.3 757 and am now on a flight from KCLE to KSAN. I have ActiveSky 6.5 installed also. When I hit bad weather over Chicago, My speedtape went hay wire and froze at 30 kts. I still am following LNAV and VNAV, but the speedtape hasn't moved from 30 kts. Please help PSS.George

Guest Phoenix5

Pitot heat turned on?George I removed the other copy of this question from the front page, as I have started to respond here.

Power to the electrically heated probes is applied any time an engine is running.What was the round airspeed indicator showing?

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Guest coolfront55

thanks for responding,"0" on the backup airspeed indicator.George

Guest coolfront55

Thanks Steve for responding. I think it was on. I will fly tonight and check it out. I love the 757 and 777. Great sims.George

Guest coolfront55

Sorry this sounds stupid, is there a seperate switch for the pitot heat?George

Guest Phoenix5

At work atm, and I can not remember off the top of my head. (I have been working on or playing with so many different aircraft this last month).What I was thinking was if you use an add-on like FSPax or Flight Tracker, maybe one of the keystrokes used in them may have turned it (Pitot heat) off.

Guest coolfront55

Thanks again for responding Steve. Whats weird, is on a similar flight tonight, while flying through rough weather the speed tape went to and stayed,for about half a minute, at 30 kts then went back to the correct speed and stayed there for the entire flight (4 hours).The only add ons that I use ,at this time,are ActiveSky and SQ box and some scenery add-ons.George

Guest Phoenix5

In ActiveSky what is your setting for icing? Also check the same in FSUIPC if you have the registered version.

I could be possible PSS modeled a switch to make it work with FS but the real 757/767 probe heat is puerly automatic. It comes on when the engines are started.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Guest coolfront55

Hey Steve thank you for your interest. I think I figured it out. When the default cessna appears, turn the pitot switch to on. So far no problems after 3 flights.George

Guest Mike Phyrio

I may have a piece of news for you here:I don't think that business of the speed tape going nutzo has anything to do with the PSS 757. The very same thing happens to me in a Skydecks 737 as well as the 757. There was a post on their forums about someone who had this happen while they were at high altitude. They were freaked out about it. It usually happens to me while climing (no biggie there) or descending (definitely a no-no). At first, I thought it was the Pitot also but decided otherwise when it happened with the Pitot heat turned on. I have no idea what makes it happen but the only thing I have found out that you (or at least I) can do is to take the plane out of autothrottle and wait till it decides to come off its little routine. I figure it's a FS9 thing or a PC thing or some other thing.....frankly, I have no idea....but it doesn't last for long and as long as you know what's happening when it does happen, it won't mess you up too much.

Guest Ruahrc

IIRC this has to do with the fact that FS9 can produce icing conditions that can overpower even the pitot heater. I don't know the exact conditions in which it happens but if you are using FS9 real weather or Activesky it can happen. There is a setting in FSUIPC that is supposed to get rid of it I think.Norman

Guest coolfront55

Thank you. Could you find those settings and post them, pleaseGeorge

Guest vrandar

In the Clouds page of registered FSUIPC, if you look on the righthand pane there is an option to select the level of icing in clouds from 0 (no icing) up to 3 (just no severe icing).In AS6.5 there is an option (in Options->Clouds and Precipitation) to prevent all icing.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.