Sign in to follow this  
philbrown

757 v1.3 Impressions

A few things from my first flight using v1.3:1) RR engine power - this still seems way too high. I was at a typical weight for the routes I use, yet taking off with full takeoff power, once airborne the speed went balsting through V2+25, and I was at about 180 knots before I was able to adjust the attitude to hold the speed - this was at about 5-6000fpm. I then set CLB-2 power, and was able to keep this to about 25000 feet before needing to select normal climb power.2) SID route tracking - still hasn't been fixed. The aircraft will still start flying off track before the end of the SID.3) Wing strobes - these flash out of sequence. The same thing happens with the PMDG 747. They state it was something to do with flexing wings. Is this the same reason with the 757? If so, why are the strobes on the 777 OK?4) Anti-Collision Lights - There is a red strobe that works fine, but there seems to be another red strobe that is also present - it comes on for a second or so, then goes off fro a few seconds, but it doesn't strobe, and works as well as the normal red strobe.For me, the climb issue hasn't been resolved - still too much power. The PW model seems alot better, due to it's limited thrust, but Jet 2 don't operate PW 757's, and I can't get a PW paint for them.

And some more:5) VNAV Descent - STILL NOT FIXED!!! Was descending in VNAV to a point with an altitude specified. There was one waypoint between TOD and EOD. Was descending right on the descent profile marker on the ND. As soon as I hit the waypoint, the plane started to level off, and the descent profile stated I was 3500 feet below the profile. This is exactly the same problem as before! VNAV descents with user specified altitude restrictions and waypoints between TOD and EOD still don't work!6) Ambient noise - I'm sure PSS said they would look into this. Still no sound until engine start.So, the 757 has been off my computer for months waiting for this patch from PSS. After re-installing it, it seems absolutely nothing has been fixed! All the problems I was having before are still there! What were you doing with the 5 months PSS?!! Will you consent to providing me a refund as this aircraft is still full of bugs?

Guest macflegg

I flew B757-200 although a long time ago.We never used full power on the RR engine either for takeoff or climb - indeed if used this had to be entered in the tech log.On a typical UK to Med out of Birmingham derate 2 was used for takeoff and climb up to FL370.Even on full load ie. UK to Bangor en route Florida derate 1 was used.So it is no wonder that you are having problems controlling the beast!SID tracking could also be a problem especially if tight turns were required shortly after takeoff - leaving the flaps set and using speed control ie. V2+15 or the flap manoevre speed and using flight level change until a good intercept could me made with the SID then when happy let the automatics do the rest.I think 1.3 is very like the real thing and wish I could have played with it during my conversion course.A minor comment is that the autopilot overshoots in the heading mode and also has difficulty maintaining altitude when doing this but I'm sure the boffins will sort that out in due course.Mac

Good reply - thanks for that. Very useful information.As for the SID problems, it's not a tracking problem I'm having - usually the aircraft will turn significantly before the last point on the SID. I flew the Pole Hill departure off Leeds today, and the aircraft started turning for BARTN about 6 or 7 miles from Pole Hill. The same problem is present with the 777.So, the engine power can be scrubbed then. No more full TO power for me! The VNAV descent issue though is still a major one, and is in urgent need of fixing.

Guest macflegg

PhilHave you heard the expression "what is it doing now"?That was often said when flying the real 757 and 767 - the answer - flight level change to take control - I don't have a better answer.As for your stepped descent if you give me full details of what you asked the FMC to do - I can maybe help.In this case as well as the above - "what is it doing now" is apt.Remember as we were taught - It does what you TELL it - NOT what you MEAN!!I hope this helps.Mac

I've not got a problem with a few little niggles - the 777 is full of them, and you learn to fly around them. But this is a major problem that certainly shouldn't be happening.My flight was from EGNM to LEAM. The last few points in the FMC were as follows:NARGORESTUAMR01 (42nm from AMR)AMRLEAMThe point AMR01 had a level restraint of FL120 in. TOD was calculated somewhere between NARGO and RESTU. I was descending in VNAV mode following the decent profile indicator on the ND. Once I got to RESTU and the FMC switched to AMR01, the descent profile indicator immediately jumped to show me 3500 below the profile. immediately switched to V/S mode, and flew the rest of the descent in that mode to level out at FL120 at AMR01, using the green descent arc as a guide.This was supposed to have been fixed in this update. At the moment, I can't see any difference between v1.2 and v1.3. Was this problem fixed PSS, or not? If not, when will it be?

Mac,Very many thanks for your comments. There have been complaints about the TO Power of the RR version ever since first release - yet whenever a rw pilot commented, we had the same reply - as yours.And from my own experience "It does what you TELL it - NOT what you MEAN" applies to most things you do with an aeroplane.Phil,I understand your frustration - as you know, the VNAV descent has also been commented on since first release. Steven has tried to explain this in the sticky at the top of the page. For my part, the 777 gauge and 757 gauge were both programmed by the same developer and the former has a steady VNAV descent "on path" throughout several wp. Hence, I suspect that the 777 has a much later model FMC than the 757 and the 757 gauge has perhaps been developed in an attempt to simulate the limitations of this earlier model FMC?I have never flown an FMC let alone that in the 757 but I have I have noticed that rw pilots usually talk about flying descents in any other mode but VNAV!John Rooum

Guest macflegg

Phil Reference your vnav problem with B757.I have flown the approach as you specified into Almeria - I gave it the same height constraint as you ie.12000' at your AMR01.I also followed the DME arc ILS 26 which has a further constraint of 6000' at SORBA.Vnav worked perfectly normally.Leave it alone and try it again.From TOD the initial ROD was high hence the green arc will be close but if you leave it alone it soon stabilises and the green arc will steadily move towards your AMR01.After AMR01 the green arc will move away from you out of sight and that is because the next contraint point is futher away than a normal descent rate would need - but then it will return to the path - the green arc will come towards you until at idle thrust the arc will sit on SORBA.I then became chicken and arrived at SORBA flap5 to fly the arc using flight level change and heading select.Honest - try it again.Mac

Guest macflegg

JohnIf you read the reply to Phil you will see that I think vnav is OK.It takes a while to know what to expect - there are different ways to achieve the same things and it takes a while for it all to sink in.But as been said before there is always FLC and HDG SEL whist saying "what is it doing now".Mac

Mac,I've not had chance to try Phil's problem descent and approach tonight {looking at 777 ILS Problems} but after seeing your report I'm looking forward to flying it tomorrow.Again many thanks for coming on - its always great to hear from someone who has flown the beast and can explain the limitations!If you are still lucky enough to be flying - happy landings.Best WishesJohn R

Guest macflegg

John,If you have a problem with the 777 ILS I could probably help if you give me details.Although I have not really flown it - the way the FMC works looks similar to B757 and B767 which I have flown.Now I fly only by PSS which in my opinion is the most graghically and functionally the best flight simulator I have seen so far - by far.Only the autopilot heading and height overshoots when turning onto the localizer need to be fixed.A B767-200 would be nice to have and although totally different to the B757-200 is/was flown under a dual rating.For the hairy chested B737-200 would also be a great challenge.Could I also say to those who could see hole below the pilot's seat etc or en external light not flashing at the correct speed - this never bothered anybody who flew the real things the only thing that mattered was the instrument panel and the wiew from the window.MacPS sorry for rabbiting on - but some complaints about this software seem so trivial.

Mac,Agree your last.Re 777 ILS. Its ok here but I was looking at it for the chap who posted a problem on the forum below - he doesn't seem to be tuning in correctly.John

Well, apparently a certain payware 767 must be completely off then !?Many cop-outs in this thread, and what's amazing is how eager people seem to be to swallow them whole. If anyone is willing to check, what are the static thrust ratings in the aircraft.cfg's for both the RR and PW 752 ? When they were using Project OpenSky FDE's, they were interestingly enough using the most powerful -535, that wasn't commonly installed on the 752, only the 753, and the least powerful 2000 series Pratt.Shouldn't be to difficult to figure out where the problem lies there.As to the rest, look, if the PSS757 isn't going to get much better, fine, I guess, but just say so, and stop making ridiculous excuses that point the finger away from yourselves. Doing so makes things worse, IMHO, and is far more irritating than just being forthright. You've had ample time to turn this aircraft around and you haven't done it, listing token fixes (that some criticize as being "trivial" but make up half of your list) like corrected MCP lighting and model issues as half of your fix list....after 5 months....yet amazingly, after all that has taken place, some are still willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. I guess I just don't understand that. IMHO, you have demonstrated that you cannot be trusted to simply do what you say you will do, and I personally find it very difficult to take anything you say anymore, seriously.I also read a bit through your PSS and The Future thread, and gotta say I don't buy most of that either; these dilemmas are always too well timed at PSS. I personally believe you were stalling for 1.3 and got tired of answering questions, so ya disappeared for a bit, returning(getting better) only AFTER you had something concrete...great timing man ! :-roll Like a slow motion train-wreck...

Regards,

Brian Doney

Guest Phoenix5

Brian,My first thought after reading your post was to delete it, but that would just add fuel to your fire.You seem to enjoy popping up in here when ever you feel the there is a chance to stir up ill feelings. Well until such time as you produce you real world pilot log book, and show me the thousands of hours as PIC of a real B757, I hope you don't mind if I follow the advice of people I know are currently working for carriers flying nothing but B757's.Thank you,

"My first thought after reading your post was to delete it, but that would just add fuel to your fire."Not at all surprised by that. You've never been one for actually answering the tough questions."You seem to enjoy popping up in here when ever you feel the there is a chance to stir up ill feelings."Reporting your piracy of a freeware FDE was the last time I commented here. if that's what you define as "stirring up ill feelings", so be it, but you will not pin you shortcomings and failures on me, Steven."Well until such time as you produce you real world pilot log book, and show me the thousands of hours as PIC of a real B757, I hope you don't mind if I follow the advice of people I know are currently working for carriers flying nothing but B757's."Great obfuscation here...the classic final defense.How about actually addressing my post ?

Regards,

Brian Doney

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.