Sign in to follow this  
Guest franksalot

PSS B772LR - CLB CON button

Guest franksalot

I only have one area of the MCP that I don't understand; the CLB CON button. Could someone tell me how to active this feature, mainly the Climb Mode, e.g. will it function with the Autopilot ON? I am aware that this feature in 'inhibited' below 400'.Any help would be appreciated.Ken

Ken,There are a couple of good briefs on airliners.net from 777 pilots on the use of clb - con. Mainly in an emergency sit. That said, I have been unable to find a scenario where the PSS button has any effect - essentially it does not over-ride the FMC settings; and they cannot be "switched off". Even on Take Off without VNAV clb is automatically selected at the right height.Although it has a click spot etc perhaps its in the "not modelled" category.John

Guest franksalot

Thanks for your reply John.Whether it was a 'fluke' I'm not sure, but a couple of weeks ago I did get the button to light up - I 'thought' it had control of the climb out; after that it never worked again. The Panel Manual Section 1/page 23/para.6 (shows I've read the Manual :) )gives a brief explanation, but is not clear, to me, whether the AP or FD should be on or off, indeed a puzzle. Also that same paragraph mentions it's use in case of an 'engine out' situation.Other than that the T7 is a great joy to fly, well done all concerned.Edit: This will amuse you John, just went to Airliners.net and found a link to this Topic - like a certain brand of margarine "my 'fame' is spreading :)Ken

KenIf I'm correct clb-con is only used in engine out climbs, it is maximum continuous thrust. It spools the remaining engine to the maximum rating avialable ( usually quite a bit more than the standard epr rating), again if I am correct it is only allowed if 1 engine is down.

Guest franksalot

Hello Karl, thanks for your reply.The description of the CLB CON button given in the Panel Manual/MCP/page 23 certainly reads as you suggest....until the last sentence viz."CLB CON button. Inhibited below 400ft AGL. When pushed, changes engine thrust limit to CLB or CON if one engine is inoperative. This button is normal means of reducing takeoff thrust to climb thrust if VNAV is not used." It's the last sentence that's been bothering me :) Perhaps I'm reading something into it, that isn't there?I'm having a problem on takeoff where the T7 points it's nose to the sky at such a steep angle I reckon it thinks it's a Space Shuttle! :)I don't what the CON means?Other than the above, I'm a 'diehard' B772LR owner, Ken

Ken,Just for your info, I suspect that CON stands for "Max Continuous".I assume that your TO problem is with the AP in VNAV?John R

Guest franksalot

Hello John, 'Max Continuous' - I'm happy with that :)Probably calling it a 'problem' is overkill, I'll need to work at it some more.Ken

Guest franksalot

Just to throw a small pebble in the pond! CLB CON button is also in Setup/Key Commands, so I guess it is meant to work. I'll try an 'engine out' emergency.Ken

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.