Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike Phyrio

Spoilers.....Auto Arm

Guest Mike Phyrio

Hiya!Alluvasudden, after months of heartily satisfying flights, my spoilers no longer work from the auto arm on my 757.Now, all I have done, that I think could be considered significant, is to delete ver 1.2, install 1.3, decide I liked 1.2 better, deleted 1.3 and re-installed 1.2. Simple, eh? Everything works as before but the spoilers no longer deploy on landing. Why dat?Mike

Mike,Do you get autobrake ok on touchdown?John R

Guest Mike Phyrio

Hiya John!You're a great asset here, BTW.I have no idea. I never have used the autobrake. I just hit the reversers on touchtown and squeeze the brake till I slow down to 60 and then just let friction do its job. Works for me. I'm just curious why the spoilers no longer deploy.Mike

Mike,Try then autobrakes - if you do not get them as well on touchdown, we'll be looking at your aircraft.cfgs {you have probably ended up with very old ones or corrupt ones}.If the autobrakes work - mmm! Check in the VC that the spoiler lever is actually moving to arm?John R

Guest caser

Mike:I was told that if the anti-ice was on the spoilers would not work. I dunno but worth looking at.RegardsRick

Guest Mike Phyrio

John: I went over the .cfg and couldn't find anything that looked amiss....and it was the install I originally used when I first installed the 757 and it worked peachy. I'm certainly willing to give that a shot though.Rick: I'll check and see if, somehow, the anti-ice is turned on. If that's what's doing it (ho ho) it'll be another kettle of digital fish for PSS to perspire over....not that they need another one.I gotta tell you guys that I really only mentioned this because it wasn't right. I really don't need the spoilers (WARNING: The following is unashamed bragging), because this plane lands so well, at least for me it does (end blatant bragging zone), that I really don't require the spoilers to keep me on the runway. But I would like to have them....just in case I encounter a nahsty weather phenom.Mike

Mike.And its nice to know what's causing it - I remember spending many hours testing with Rob to find out why the spoilers/autobrake were not deploying in the early days.Check again my questions above {also not tried ther ice switch yet}.John R

Guest Mike Phyrio

I am, even as I type this missive, flying from Denver to KLAX. I checked and the anti-ice is NOT on, so that's not it. I will switch the auto-brake on and try and remember (after a two hour flight) not to manually brake to see if the auto-brakes do something or not. If they don't, I will return, hat in hand, a pathetic figure deserving of succor to ask even more of you in my never ending quest to make it perfect. MikeP.S. Did I tells ya how much I love this plane? Eh? Did I??P.S. + Like I said, I'm going from Denver to L.A. so I got some time. I looked through the manual (Operations Manual) and could find no reference to "auto-brake". I also looked closely at my panels and could find no button, switch, lever or gizmo labled "auto-brake". It may be that it was left off my plane because I'm not socially prominent.

Lower EICAS Bottom leftStandby altimeter bottom rightI'm sure that you've got one - every self respecting Boeing pilot does!Keep taking the tablets, check the spoiler lever has gone to arm {use the VC} and keep your feet off the brakes when you touchdown!Happy landingsJohn R

Guest Mike Phyrio

Well, this certainly is an interesting series of experiments.The spoilers actually do deploy; there's just no indication of it in the 2D panel. There does seem to be one in the VC though. AND, they don't un-deploy, or reset themselves after the plane lands; the reversers appear to have no effect on the spoilers. I just did a.....I don't know what the official name for it is.....a takeoff from a runway, circle around and land on the same runway, and watched from outside the airplane while it (shame) auto-landed. Now, I'm on the ground and the spoilers are still deployed. But if you hit the "/" key, they retract like good little spoilers.The auto-brake seems to work too.....but I don't like auto-brakes so poo.So, the problem appears to be only that the spoilers are no longer automatic....except for the deployment thereof. I can live with that if I must.Interesting, eh?Gaaaawd, I'm feeling like a real test pilot here.Mike

Hi Mike,Here begineth the lesson.Doors on top of wings:When operating independently in coordination with ailerons for roll control = spoilersWhen operating together to reduce lift and increase drag = speedbrakesWarnings:If the spoiler does not operate correctly when roll is demanded

Guest Mike Phyrio

>NB After landing speedbrakes retract automatically when>throttles are increased to deselect reverse thrust.Which is exactly what they are NOT doing. That, and there's no indication of deployment in the 2D panel.Like I sayeth (hee hee), I can live with that if I must but it ain't right McGee.I don't suppose it even matters if I manually shut them off after I land; nobody in VATSIM can see the things anyway. :(

Mike,Never seen this - and I have used all versions of the 757. Do you get the light on if you deploy the speedbrakes manually in the air?I know its a pain but if the autobrakes are working on touchdown, it sounds more like a gauge problem rather than the aircraft - which gauge version did you finally end up with? I suspect I would try a reinstall next.Good LuckJohn

Guest Mike Phyrio

I kinda figured it'd probably have something to do with me uninstalling 1.2, installing 1.3, unistalling 1.3 and re-installing 1.2. As complex as this plane is, I'm probably really lucky this is all I wound up with and I tell you, I can live with it this way. I am NOT gonna try another install because this time it could be way worse and I'd hate that. I'm just gonna fly it and enjoy it the way it is; nobody can see 'em on VATSIM anyway and if somebody doesn't like it, they can go rozzer a dropsy in snide.Mike

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.