Sign in to follow this  
Guest lasse_hvass

Aircond. + electrical sounds in the cockpit?

Guest lasse_hvass

Hi there;I've had this bird in my hangar for quite a while now, but I have never really flown it yet. The reason why is simply that the 'realistic feeling' is allready missing when parked at the gate, and engines are shut down! I know that people say the flight deck on the 757/777 are quiet, but I really don't believe it to be absolutely silent!I've been visiting various fligh decks from time to time, and no-one seemed that silent as the PSS 757.However, if it's the way it really is - no aircond. or electrical sounds at all - I would like to add these sounds anyway, in order to get the realistic feeling back and experience the 'real' airline environment. - Just like in many of the other realistic add-ons available.So my question are:Is it possible to add any aircond. or electrical sounds into the PSS 757, so I'll get just a little bit of noise when the engines are not running?Thanks. - And SORRY about my terrible written english! ;)Regards Lasse

Couple of choices I can think of.Simply download one of any number of alternative soundsets in the library - most will have ambient sounds included.If you really want to use the PSS soundset however, then do the following:Add a .wav file (cockpit.wav in my example) of the ambient sound you want to hear to the 757 SOUND folder. Then add the following to your SOUND.CFG for the 757:(GYRO_SOUND) //--------use square brackets of coursefilename=cockpitmaximum_volume=10000Hope these help.regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

Will that sound file play only when the gyro is active?I do have a different soundset for the 777 which has air con sounds, but they play all the time, even when the aircraft is shut down.I will be very miffed if new sounds are not made available when the FSX versions come out, as it's been something I've requested from PSS for years with no joy.

To tell the truth Phil, I've not a clue - my experience is that it's an internal (viewpoint 1) sound trigger which plays all the time. There's also a BOMB_SOUND (yes - bomb!) which does the same thing. I saw them once in a third party soundset and have used them myself ever since. As for their permanence, I console myself with the fact that line pilots rarely enter or leave a cold/dark cockpit (pilots have so indicated)Until PSS evolves their products to the point where ambient sound is gauge-driven (cooling fans etc), I would expect more silent flight decks. regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

I for one TOTALLY agree with all of the above. I have been kindly commenting since the T7 came out that the flight deck is too silent. As for the 75, it is one of my favorite FS aircraft to fly, and trust me, I have all of them. But every time I fire up the APU (which shouldn't be audible from the cockpit...this part is right) and open the bleeds and fire up the packs, I am reminded of one big thing that I personally feel has detracted from this otherwise great 757 (edit: and T7 as well) simulation. It really prevents me (and others I'm sure) from having that "being there" feeling that we all love about simming. I know that modern aircraft are technologically advanced and all, but I think that no aircraft designer will ever overcome the fact that fans and turbulent, moving air make noise. I really can't see how hard it would be to add some fan noise and key it to the a/c packs' activation. A simple whirring/whooshing sound that starts very low upon activation and increases until the packs are fully online. It really can't be that hard to do! With all of the clicks and dings and other sounds that are coded into the .gau, why not add one more? Anyway, let's see how many people can respond to this thread. This is something I have been nagged by for a long time and would like to see what the designers have to say. Well then, thanks for bringing this topic up again...Adam

I have asked PSS about this issue several times over the last year or two. Everytime I do (and I have to send an email, as the thread tends to be ignored), they say they will ask the sound developer about it. But then you don't here anything else about it. Seems typical of PSS support these days unfortunately.

Assuming all is well on the PSS front generally, they do seem to raise the bar as they see fit. Between the gauge programmers and sound developer, they may surprise with ambient cockpit sounds in some product at some point.regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.