Sign in to follow this  
Guest F15Driver

757 and OOM

Guest F15Driver

Strangely enough I only get an out of memory (OOM) FS9 crash when I'm flying the PSS 757 over the continental US at 3.5 to 4hrs into the flight.I can fly any other complex aircraft--LDS 767, PMDG, Wilco Airbus and have no problems. For example, I flew the A321 for 5.5hrs over the US (KCLT-KSEA) and not an issue.I've attempted 8 flights from various airports heading both east and west with the PSS 757 and everytime, OOM at 3.5-4hrs. The 2D cockpit freezes on my screen...no blue screen, but there is a windows xp error box warning that virtual memory has been exceeded.Looking at the AVSIM forums, there are a number of folks with similar issues--out of memory on long flights over US.Very frustrating since the PSS 757 is a wonderful add to the stable.Is there a general consensus out there that this is an issue, and, what if any is the fix?I have all the latest drivers, defrag every week, run a registry healer every two weeks, have 65% of my HD free, and set my page file to initial size 4222MB and maximum size 4222MB.System runs very fast...average 45FPS with PSS 757 2D cockpit with active sky 6.5, ultimate terrain US, Ground Environment Pro. Flight Environment. I have numerous payware airport addons (imagine, FlyTampa, Cloud 9, Megahubs) but selectively add/remove depending on where I'm flying. I also have Squawkbox 3.1 and FSACARS running. Again, no problem with any other aircraft.ThanksF15DriverAMD FX-62 Dual Core4GB Corsair DDRNvidia 7950GX2 (1GB video)Raptor 10000rpm HDWinXP Home

Guest coolfront55

F15, I had (have?) the same problem and found several posts that I tried. One involved upgrading ultimate terrain, I think it was Europe, which I did, and that did not help. Another was unchecking in scenery library, Aerosofts mega Frankfurt, Germany, I think LCC-EDDF or something like that, and it seemed to stop the crashing to desktop. I haven't flown the 757 for a long haul in awhile. The last flight was from KSFO to PHNL (San Fran to Hawaii) and had no problems. I should try again to see if the crashing has stopped. I had posted the same issue before when I was having the same problem, and not to many were willing to respond in this forum. Hope you find a solution. Let me know.Jorge

Guest F15Driver

JorgeProblem seems confined to long overland flights of greater than 3-4hrs...I have flown PSS 757 overwater from KPHL-EIDW and back to KPHL with no problems (7-8hr flights). I have read and installed the ultimate terrain US patch which addresses some memory leaks. I believe it is a combination of PSS 757 and graphic intensive scenery that eventually exceeds max available virtual memory. Since I have WinXP Home, the /3GB boot.ini switch won't have any effect (some argue it may)on a 32-bit operating system. I have 4GB physical memory but WinXP Home only recognizes 2.75GB given my current configuration.My question is what is the recommended virtual memory page file (swap) size? Most argue 2 to 2.5X the amount of physical RAM--but is the baseline 2.75GB or 4GB? Others argue given 2GB or more physical RAM to go with the minimum paging size in virtual memory--like 256MB.I was hoping to get some additional responses either confirming a virtual memory or OOM issue when flying 757 overland (particularly USA with Ultimate Terrain US loaded) over 3-4hrs?F15DriverAMD FX-624GB Corsair DDRNvidia 7950 GX2 (1GB video)Raptor 10000rpm HD

Afraid that I cannot help you on page size - over the years I have tried most suggestions and never seen a significant improvement. So now I leave it to windows!As to the 757, it certainly uses more memory that the 777 but I have never seen it exceed 1G under normal opertions using UT Europe and Traffic etc.The only problem we have seen has been from some add-on scenery. As an example, I recall one add-on around SE Asia which was giving OOM errors with the 757 - I could sit and watch a stable mem useage start increasing as we got near it until eventually we saw the dreaded OOM.Do you perhaps have any add-on scenery other that mentioned lurking somewhere in the general area where you are getting the error?Good LuckJohn Rooum

Guest F15Driver

JohnWhen I run filemon in the background, I see read/write failures when flying PSS 757 at a much higher rate than other aircraft and an attending linear increase in virtual memory usage. To be fair, with any addon, both aircraft and scenery, you will likely see some number of read/write failures.Since I'm not a computer/software engineer, I'm not sure if there is a direct/indirect correlation between individual file read/write errors and virtual memory usage. I've had several OOMs with the PSS 757 just prior to or beginning descent from altitude (usually 80nm from destination)...in 2 cases, I received an OOM with 757 whilst beginning a descent into KCLT--I do have imagine addon KCLT scenery. In 2 other cases, as I was approaching KSFO (using default FS9 scenery), and finally, the latest OOM, when approximately 150nm from KPHL using default FS9 KPHL scenery.Again, I'm just trying to get a sense of the problem; whether it is isolated to a specific system, PSS 757, addon scenery, or a combination of all three. If more than 50% of PSS 757 users mention that they have had similar issues--OOMs on long flights (>3.5hrs) over land (using ultimate terrain), then we could make some reasonable inferences.Or, better yet, not fly PSS 757 overland for more than 3.5hrs : )F15Driver

F15 DriverSome stats to compare; I have just flown the 757 OMDB - EGBB over UT Europe with an additional hours cruise over UK as I have about 40+ add-on airports in UK.Traffic 2005 was set at 50% with all sliders around 3/4. System C2D with 3g RAM and 7850GT.At Take Off my PF useage was 712 MB.I checked it every hour and at +7 hours it was 858 mb {now over UK}. At +7.5 hrs, I shut down at the gate at EGBB with 970Mb. I completed turn round and shut down the sim at +8.5hrs with 1.05Gig.Not much help I am afraid - I'll try one of your USA routes with the default scenery over the next couple of days as anothet check.regardsJohn {Do you have a name - nice to know who you are talking to - a real F15 driver? If so we may have met in the skies somewhere.}

Guest F15Driver

JohnThanks for the data run. I've only experienced OOM with 757 over US, though looking at some other entries, there are OOMs over Europe as well.Name is Kemo Perry from 492FS 48FW RAF Lakenheath (F15Es...someone already had F15E : )

Kemo,Just flown your USA Route - no add-on scenery but sliders all up. After 51/2 hrs mem useage peaked at 790mb.Looking at all the forums, the problem is not just isolated to PSS - PMDG and even Wilco suffer cases of OOM CTD etc. And I have seen a comment by Phil from ACES on the basic FS9 programming. Also a Vista hotfix being looked at.More RAM can help - but of course not in your case. Changing RAM around in the slots has helped others.Have a look at the PMDG forum - there is a lot of detailed discussion there which might give you a hint of where to look next.John R

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.