Sign in to follow this  
Guest isiattie

PSS 777 rudders acting strange

Guest isiattie

Hello everyone!!!I have a question. I was doing an approach on PSS 777 using CH Throttle quad, yoke and pedals (As always) and when I tried to make a hard turn using yoke and pedals, I noticed the plane was not responding to the pedals. I dont remember ever experiencing something like this and I've done more extreme landings with more crosswinds (remembering pedals working ok and more responsive) At exactly 200 feet, its like the pedals kick in and only at this point you can start crabbing the airplane. I tried testing to see if the problem was the pedals or the calibration using PMDG 747, and they work out excellent, they really responded. Then again i went to the PSS. and nothing up until 200 ft. AGL On the PSS, I push the pedal all the way and the aircraft barely moves. As soon as I hit 200 ft above the runway, the airplane starts responding signifantly. Im guessing I was able to do this before because Im finding my last approaches very difficult to center the aircraft. Imagin going all the approach with the pedal fully pushed and the aircraft flying straight and as soon as you descend below 200 the aiplane starts to yaw. (Im sorry if its hard to explain myself, Im really having trouble explaining this...lol)Thanks for the help

You are seeing the normal operation of the system. The yaw damper is disengaging at about 200 ft agl to give you more rudder authority for the touchdown. Above this height, amongst other things, the yaw damper reduces the rudder authority directly available to the pilot."Imagin going all the approach with the pedal fully pushed and the aircraft flying straight and as soon as you descend below 200 the aiplane starts to yaw."You should not need to use any signifciacant rudder to hold the centreline if you have sufficient drift. There are several posts on this and other forums covering Xwind landing technique. Do a search and if you still have problems please post back here.John rooumPS Please sign your name - its good to know who we are talking to.

Guest isiattie

Thank you.Ill search the forumsand sorry for my name. its actually my login but i forgot to sign it at the bottom...lolIsi Attie

Isi,Couple of further thoughts might help:1. Next time you fly your 747, have a look at the rudder authority {EICAS Stat page} at say 190 kts and 1500 ft and compare with the authority at say 280 kts 11000 ft.2. Also have a look at the use of aileron for yaw control in crosswinds - very effective and the 747 also simulates the effect well.RegardsJohn R

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.